The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Bit concerned.. lethargy n strange noises

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
likkibunni Posted - 20/01/2010 : 23:43:46
Hi all,

sorry Ive not been on here for a while but im a bit worried about Slim.
Bit of background.. Hes about a year and a half to two and around two foot long, bigger then a thumb width. A month ago we moved him up from his smaller tub to the big viv with heat bulb and UV. Since moving him he hardly comes out at all and we never see him. Hes eating fine.

Havent had him out for a few days as hes about to shed but got him out tonight and heard him making a quiet whistling sort of noise. Heard it about 5 times in the 5 mins he was out. Last few times hes been out hes seemed a bit lethargic and limp. He still grips but just generally seems floppier then normal.

I think i may be being paranoid but i thought under his jaw looked a little swollen

Ive been a bit worried about the humidity in the new set up, It has on occasions touched 50% but is generally 40-45% in when the bulb is on. Ive left the glass doors ajar at each end to let some air in and try to reduce it a bit.

This is the viv set-up

Im not sure what to do about it TBH, does his neck look lumpy? should he go to a vet??

thanks for any help!!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 23/01/2010 : 12:27:55
so your snake has NO heating at night?
likkibunni Posted - 22/01/2010 : 20:41:20
Couldnt get on the site yesterday for some reason ??? so to answer some of the questions..

quote:
I presume the water dish is well away from the heatmat?

There is no heatmat just the lamp which as you can see in the pic is at opposite ends

quote:
How much of a gap is there with the doors open and are the doors wedged so he can't move them any further apart?

About a fingers width at each end. There is a glass lock on the front which is alawys kept locked so he cant push it open.

quote:
Is the bulb covered underneath?

Yes

quote:
how are you heating the viv and controlling the heat?

Umm.. with the heat lamp and controlling it with a dimming thermostat thats on a timer so the light and the lamp come on in day and off at night

quote:
snakes DON'T NEED UV!!!

I KNOW!!! its just there to light the viv as OH works nights and its really dark all the time no other reason then for light

quote:
and what are your actual hot and cold end temps and how are they being measured?
the stick on therm half way up the glass door in the middle of the viv is pretty pointless.

Hot end is 30 and being measured by the sensor thats stuck on the side of the viv as you can see in the pic which measures temp and humidity and records the min and max over any length of time from when i turn it off and on.

The sticky therm is something that was left over from the fish and was knocking around so i stuck it on the door. Ive got a digital sensor, i dont use sticky therm for temps.

Anyway he shed last night and fed straight after so i guess it was just shedding noises but ill keep an ear and eye out if it carries on. Me being paranoid i suppose

Thanks for the help guys
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/01/2010 : 15:06:30
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

UV lights flicker at a speed we cant see,........

See HERE

As the description on the vid, the light was not flickering to me, and was also only about 2 months old when that vid was taken.
gingerpony Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:10:34
and what are your actual hot and cold end temps and how are they being measured?
the stick on therm half way up the glass door in the middle of the viv is pretty pointless.
gingerpony Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:09:19
snakes DON'T NEED UV!!!

the noise could be some loose rattling skin in his nasal passages as matty already suggested

how are you heating the viv and controlling the heat?

and as for humidity, you're unlikely to get the humidity in the viv to be less than the humidity in the room! 50% is average and fine.
matty18714 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 20:34:03
His jaw is fine. That slight bump at the neck is normal. Snakes will often make a sniff-type noise when coming up to a shed.

UV lights flicker at a speed we cant see, though supposedly snakes can see it. This along with the shedding should explain why he hasnt been out much.

I also wouldnt worry about the humidity. Is the bulb covered underneath?

Edit - Spelling
hillzi Posted - 21/01/2010 : 20:29:24
Big snakes do tend to wheeze a little bit coming into shed as of the shed over their nostrills..

Raise the temp everso slightly to kill off the start, if it is, an RI.

Like rik said, make sure the tank has good airflow and move the waterbowl as far away from the heat source as possible.
Sammysnake Posted - 21/01/2010 : 19:23:53
I presume the water dish is well away from the heatmat? How much of a gap is there with the doors open and are the doors wedged so he can't move them any further apart? The last thing you want is for him to escape. Don't know about the bump I'm afraid - I'm not experienced, but just thought I'd mention my ideas incase they help.

Good luck, Sam
Rik Posted - 21/01/2010 : 02:05:01
Is the viv pushed up agains the wall? The vents are on the back and if against the wall obviously wont provide any fresh air. They seem to be small vents in overall diameter(compared to the one fitted in mine). Im sure the wiser/experienced elders will be able to help in the morning as its quite late now.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 00:06:18
It sounds a little like it could be an R.I, and the humidity could very well be the problem.
Corns don't need a specific humidity and to much can cause respiratory infections.
This may well cause him to make a squeeky/ weezy noise when he breathes.

Do you know what is causing the humidity to rise so much?

Hopefully GP or somebody will be along soon to give you more information.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000