The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Not feeding and lump appeared

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 12:47:45
my cornsnake is about 7 years old. normally very healthy. he is quite big and has a nice large tank.
he normally eats 1 or 2 adult mice a week.
but he has not eaten since just before christmas. which is worrying me a bit. i have tried to weed him every week but he is just not interested.
he is very active and behaving how he does just before he wants fed.
i got him out the other night and noticed a strange lump a couple of inches from his tail. what is this? and is it serious?
i am trying to upload a picture but am struggling.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 01/02/2010 : 20:57:30
at 7 years old a kink is unlikely to have just appeared over night..........
n/a Posted - 01/02/2010 : 15:06:21
could've been a kink... =[
gingerpony Posted - 28/01/2010 : 22:27:48
no............looks like the OP was a 1-post-wonder.........which is a shame because there's plenty of people on here to help
Gaz_1989 Posted - 28/01/2010 : 13:44:33
Did we ever get pics or find out what this lump was?

Gaz
Kellog Posted - 27/01/2010 : 05:27:35
I may be wrong here but I was surprised to read that you are feeding him 1 or 2 adult mice every week....my 4.5yr old is on 1jumbo mouse (approx 40g) every 10 days, about to be moved to every 14 days. How much does he weigh?

To upload pics checkout this link - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

xxx
matty18714 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Sound daft but how sure are you that it's a male? if your in any doubt and the bath doesn't work it may be worth a trip to the vets or even a good rep shop just for a check over. Yours would not be the first 'male' snake to end up eggbound.

I was thinking exactly the same.
Tizzy Posted - 25/01/2010 : 09:09:59
Sound daft but how sure are you that it's a male? if your in any doubt and the bath doesn't work it may be worth a trip to the vets or even a good rep shop just for a check over. Yours would not be the first 'male' snake to end up eggbound.
gingerpony Posted - 24/01/2010 : 23:08:40
bathing twice a day is prolly more stress than it's worth, i'd personally recommend once a day or every other day

and yes, as the ambient temperature drops some will prefer to stay in the cool end and induce brumation themselves, my two teenage males have done this year.
mikerichards Posted - 24/01/2010 : 23:01:30
Its is normal for some snakes to try and hibernate themselves, so go off food on their own. The lump sounds like a small impaction, constipation, a warm bath will probably have him unloading pretty quickly, if he doesnt, then repeat maybe twice a day, as long as the water stays warm, he can stay for a fair while, 30 mins or so.
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/01/2010 : 20:32:30
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I agree that its more common in male snakes, just one thing on their minds

Same with all males...
Blackecho Posted - 24/01/2010 : 20:29:56
I agree that its more common in male snakes, just one thing on their minds
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/01/2010 : 19:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by Pooh Sticks

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Males often go off their food in the winter,

Just a note, it's not just males that go off food during winter and spring, it's just as common in females.

In my experience it is more common in males, and seeing as that is what the post is referring to, a male snake, I think it is more relevent.
Pooh Sticks Posted - 24/01/2010 : 17:33:07
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Males often go off their food in the winter,

Just a note, it's not just males that go off food during winter and spring, it's just as common in females.
gingerpony Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:03:43
like SB says it's definitely the time of year for them to be off their food...

and a pic of the lump would be useful, it is to one side or central? which side of the vent/cloaca is it - towards the head end or tail tip side?
hillzi Posted - 20/01/2010 : 16:33:47
Maybe it's a dump. Put him in a bath (by relation to us that means a mere puddle) thats at 25*C, luke warm, measure with your thermometer, should be no deeper than the snake's max gridth and supervise him for 5 minutes.

don't forget to check the water to make sure it doesn't get too cold.
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 13:14:06
Males often go off their food in the winter, quite a few people are experiencing it atm.

Re the lump, your snake may be constipated, or maybe has suffered a small knock or injury. To upload a photo, load them into Photobucket and then paste the IMG code into your post, your picture should then be visible to all.

Without a seeing a photo it is hard to tell what the lump may be, so fingers crossed you get it sorted soon.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000