The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 why do snakes shed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 08:09:27
i am doing a talk on my corn snakes as part of my coursework, and i cant seem to find out why they shed. first i thought it was just them growing. but they continue doing this through adulthood so it leads me back to the question of why do snakes shed?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 29/01/2010 : 15:50:31
I can see quite clearly on SLinx shed her pattern and lighter/darker patches as well :)
gingerpony Posted - 29/01/2010 : 11:46:16
with an amel stripe as she gets older you should be able to see a darker pattern where her stripes are in her shed skin, though with hatchies and young snakes it IS more difficult to distinguish
zandefloss Posted - 29/01/2010 : 00:09:13
Will I be able to tell when my snake's older? I'm looking at her most recent shed now and I can't see anything!

zan x
gingerpony Posted - 28/01/2010 : 22:45:24
the only one with no patterning is my snow lol

i've got loads of sheds hung up and i can pretty much tell which is each snake's with the depth of colour and patterns (obviously Marilyn's sheds are a little more obvious and easier to pick out lol )
HannahB Posted - 28/01/2010 : 22:33:39
thats how i tell my sheds apart.. monts have his saddle patterns on..libs and edison's are very similar but you can just see the stripes on edisons so you can just about tell them apart
gingerpony Posted - 28/01/2010 : 21:24:47
depends on the morph - i can see the stripes in my amel stripe's shed, the saddles on my ghost, caros, anery and caramel's sheds..........
zandefloss Posted - 28/01/2010 : 21:20:20
I just wanted to add one of my own questions about shedding here - why is the shed not the same colour as the snake? I see that each scale is a different colour, but when it comes off it's just white? I'm confuzzled!

zan x
Kellog Posted - 28/01/2010 : 05:03:42
Let us know how you get on with your talk Valentina. Have you got a snake's shed skin to use as an example?? Then you can show importance of checking the eye caps and tail tip are present and explain why...and what to do it there is retained shed...

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 17:15:00
Good luck, sure it will be fine!
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 17:11:13
thank you everyone, wish me luck x
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/01/2010 : 19:10:37
Which is one of the reasons you'll find that snakes with scale damage will often shed more frequently than others.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 16:16:38
I'd not thought of it like that.
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

exactly as Hannah said above, but just to add:
if they've had an injury they'll also shed more frequently as the wound heals. otherwise the 'old' skin would hold the shape of the wound and stop it from closing and healing properly.

Stumpy Posted - 15/01/2010 : 15:21:24
We humans shed our skin on a regular basis.
If you look at a sink or bath of water after you have used it, some of the scum on the surface is comprised of dead skin cells.
A snake does not shed in this fashion, it does renew its skin but as one complete piece.
gingerpony Posted - 15/01/2010 : 12:33:39
exactly as Hannah said above, but just to add:
if they've had an injury they'll also shed more frequently as the wound heals. otherwise the 'old' skin would hold the shape of the wound and stop it from closing and healing properly.
HannahB Posted - 15/01/2010 : 08:22:32
yeah you were right as it is because they are growing.
obviously when they are young they are growing much faster so need to shed more often, when they are older they slow down their growing so dont need to shed as often, although we might not be able to see the difference in size they will have grown a minute amount

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000