The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Shedding Problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lilpunk Posted - 30/12/2009 : 17:17:08
Hey there,
I bought Dimika about 2 and half months ago, a common corn, and she (hoping I got the gender right!) is doing great. She's eating well, takes an active part in crawling around her viv, but is having some problems with shedding. The first time she shed it came off in lots of little parts and I had to bathe her to remove the last parts of it. After this I bought some 'Shedding Aid' which seemed to help, a placed another bowl of water into the hotter end of her viv to raise the humidity. The next shed it came off in two parts, the first part on it's own and then I had to manually remove the second after putting her in a moss box. I took her out the other day and found that the tip of her tail and some very small parts of her body still have skin on them; seen as you can spray the aid once a month I sprayed her and massaged it in, which seemed to help and got the tip of her tail shed off, or what I could make of it. Since then, I have misted the viv and placed newspaper over the main ventilation (not too much) shaft to try and seal in some of the humidity. She doesn't spend any time soaking in her bowl and she moves often from the cool hide to the warm. I know she drinks, but I'm not sure how much. Any ideas?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 03/01/2010 : 21:45:48
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Well why don't YOU mrs VET make some stickies in the HEALTH to avoid the DUPLICATES!

oi! mr smartar$e! i'm NOT a vet, never claimed to BE a vet and i'm nobody's mrs

and i prolly will when i have time.....

Well that's alright then.
Lilpunk Posted - 03/01/2010 : 19:51:44
Will do with the moss hides x) Thanks guys.
gingerpony Posted - 02/01/2010 : 12:22:57
quote:

Well why don't YOU mrs VET make some stickies in the HEALTH to avoid the DUPLICATES!

oi! mr smartar$e! i'm NOT a vet, never claimed to BE a vet and i'm nobody's mrs

and i prolly will when i have time.....
hiper2009 Posted - 02/01/2010 : 11:32:25
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

Thanks guys, and no I don't have any shedding info. about before she came to me, but she is from a trusted reptile shop who care a lot about their animals, I doubt they would have sold her if she was having issues... they tend to keep most of them anyway xD But yes, a bath sounds like a good idea. I have put damp moss in a couple of times but she doesn't seem to like it very much, even if she needs it. Ans yes, I think I got all her tiny pieces of shed off ^^.

If problem continues you could try taking out both her hides and replacing them with moss hides....then she would have to use them.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3654&SearchTerms=moss+hide

xxx

^^ Agree or take one hide out and replace with moss hide.
Lilpunk Posted - 02/01/2010 : 10:03:42
Hmmm, moss hide might be an idea, thanks Kellog ;) x
Kellog Posted - 01/01/2010 : 20:18:39
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

Thanks guys, and no I don't have any shedding info. about before she came to me, but she is from a trusted reptile shop who care a lot about their animals, I doubt they would have sold her if she was having issues... they tend to keep most of them anyway xD But yes, a bath sounds like a good idea. I have put damp moss in a couple of times but she doesn't seem to like it very much, even if she needs it. Ans yes, I think I got all her tiny pieces of shed off ^^.

If problem continues you could try taking out both her hides and replacing them with moss hides....then she would have to use them.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3654&SearchTerms=moss+hide

xxx
hillzi Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:40:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

You and your search button
WHEN is there ever a question on here that HASN'T been asked 100 times before....................?

VERY RARELY!!

seek search and ye shall find.............

forgot to add, WHEN is there ever a question on here that HASN'T been asked 100 times before AND GOT 100S OF REPLIES AND LOTS OF INFO....................?

when people dont research, unfortunately, which is a growing problem.

Lilpunk Posted - 31/12/2009 : 09:09:22
gingerpony Posted - 30/12/2009 : 22:41:17
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

If everyone used Search though we might as well all leave

Good point!
xXx

well there'd prolly be more posts in 'general' and 'photos' and less duplication in 'health'..............
n/a Posted - 30/12/2009 : 21:29:51
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Good point!
xXx
Blackecho Posted - 30/12/2009 : 21:22:33
gingerpony Posted - 30/12/2009 : 21:11:40
quote:

quote:

WHEN is there ever a question on here that HASN'T been asked 100 times before....................?

VERY RARELY!!

forgot to add, WHEN is there ever a question on here that HASN'T been asked 100 times before AND GOT 100S OF REPLIES AND LOTS OF INFO....................?
gingerpony Posted - 30/12/2009 : 21:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

quote:

or hit the 'search'.....................?

there's SOOOOOO much info on here already it's unreal!!

Ive used it!!

:)

xXx

and it's dead easy isn't it lol
gingerpony Posted - 30/12/2009 : 21:09:36
quote:

VERY RARELY!!

n/a Posted - 30/12/2009 : 21:05:24
quote:

Ive used it!!

:)

xXx
hillzi Posted - 30/12/2009 : 20:43:11
gingerpony Posted - 30/12/2009 : 20:33:07

hillzi Posted - 30/12/2009 : 20:05:39
Spagnium moss in the warm hide, provided when she's in the shedding process (will get the link) http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1766&SearchTerms=moss

and a bath for about 5 minutes with the water at her warm end temp measured with thermometer, and no deeper than the snakes thickness and then let them slither through a half DAMP half dry towel or flannel, if she sheds in pieces and has some left.

Also a bigger waterbowl for her to soak in and stick that in the warm end to increase humidity.

edit:/ added link.
n/a Posted - 30/12/2009 : 19:13:55
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4185&SearchTerms=bad,shed
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2252&SearchTerms=bad,shed

If ive done it properly the above should be some links to shedding posts

xXx
n/a Posted - 30/12/2009 : 18:52:24
Im sure ive read here... somewhere the 5 Day Rule?
Soak Snake for 5 mins for 5 days in a row...or something?
water depth no deeper than the width of the snake?
If not- then Ive just made some rather random info up!
xXx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000