The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Strange behaviour?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/12/2009 : 11:54:18
Hi there,

My one year old corn has been behaving a bit strangely of late, and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. This is my first corn and I use this site a lot to make sure I'm doing things properly, so I'd be very grateful for any thoughts :)

My snake is generally very active and inquisitive (one of the reasons we chose him), and usually takes one fuzzy a week and sheds once a month (like clockwork, and all very clean sheds). About a week ago he took to his warm hide and stopped hunting around the viv, and since it was five weeks since he'd last shed we left him to it (and didn't feed him his usual mousie). However, he hasn't shed yet (it's usually very quick) and he's spending all of his time hiding and buried in the warm side. When I checked him a few days ago to see how his eyes were (clear) he seemed a bit more sluggish than usual (especially during the shedding process).

Is this normal? Should I worry or is he just being a snake? His temps are ok - colder than usual on the cold side (about 15 because our flat heating isn't very good) and about 29 on the warm side (where he's spending all of his time).

Any ideas?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 23/12/2009 : 23:08:05
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

christmouse dinner...

LMAO!

n/a Posted - 23/12/2009 : 22:50:49
Hello! Just a quick update - we've brought him home for christmas to a much warmer house, so his temps are back to normal, and he shed almost straight away! Plus he's been hunting again, so he seems back to his normal self. Hurrah! Thanks for the tips :) off to give him his christmouse dinner...
gingerpony Posted - 22/12/2009 : 22:25:45
cold end temp is just ambient room temperature and not really relevant as an adequate gradient is provided and the warm end sounds spot on. i'd only be concerned if he was spending all his time in the cool end and i certainly wouldn't heat more than half the viv floor space.
the drop in ambient temperature and the shorter daylight hours are a signal for everything to start slowing down. and on a fuzzy a week at a year old he'll be using most of that energy for maintenance rather than growth so shedding will be less frequent
n/a Posted - 19/12/2009 : 21:57:20
hi Tosh. I had the same problem with my cold end being too cold while the warm end was just right. Wot we done was put a small heatmat under the cold end to raise the temp by just a few degrees and its working out just fine. I reckon he's hiding out up the warm end cos its just too cold up the other. I wouldnt worry too much about him just yet, corns arnt always predictable in their behaviour! Keep offering him food regularly, try not to stress him out and he'll shed when he's ready. Hopefully after that he'll be back to his normal inquisitive self.
n/a Posted - 18/12/2009 : 16:59:31
Thanks for the ideas, so good to get some advice! I'll try using a bulb over his viv (it's got a slatted roof) - should I switch it off at night or is it more important that he's warm?

Still no sign of him today :( he usually hides between blue eyes and clear eyes, but he's usually much more reactive when we check on him, hence my worrying.

We measure his temps with digital thermometer probes, one in the cold hide and one in the warm hide, which are connected to a matstat which switches the heatmat on and off. Since moving the mat his warm end is at 30, but the cold end is still at 15.

I'll try the bulb and keep you all updated! Thank you for helping!
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/12/2009 : 16:07:49
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

we need to know wat measuring equipment you are using like Kehhlyr sed. also to raise the temp i had the same prob with my crestie. she was at 65 and needed 68-73. i used a bulb. just a normal household bulb. just get a household bulb and put that on in his tank or on top of his tank. worked for me.

Just make sure if you go for a bulb you get a small mesh guard to go round it...
reptiledanny Posted - 18/12/2009 : 15:49:16
we need to know wat measuring equipment you are using like Kehhlyr sed. also to raise the temp i had the same prob with my crestie. she was at 65 and needed 68-73. i used a bulb. just a normal household bulb. just get a household bulb and put that on in his tank or on top of his tank. worked for me.
Kehhlyr Posted - 18/12/2009 : 11:53:14
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

.....We tried moving his heat mat over so it covers most of the viv base (and turning our heating up!) but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. I could change the stat temps but then I'd be concerned his warm end would be up above 30. What would you suggest?....

What are you measuring the temperatures on both ends with?
Kellog Posted - 18/12/2009 : 04:44:05
I dont have much experience I am afraid Tosh, but my 4yr old corn sheds every 6 weeks. He is blue for about 3 days and then goes clear for about 3 days before he sheds. It could be you missed seeing the blue phase cos he is in hiding. Did he usually stay in hiding from blue phase to shedding before?

You definitely need to deal with raising the temp on the cold side as that cannot be helping the situation. Not quite sure how you would do it though....Hopefully you will get some better advice on here soon.

As far as the viv clean is concerned, waiting another week wont hurt...it is better to leave him stress free at the moment.

Sorry I cant help more.

xxx
n/a Posted - 17/12/2009 : 15:07:46
Thanks for the replies.

Re Hawkeye: I know :( We tried moving his heat mat over so it covers most of the viv base (and turning our heating up!) but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. I could change the stat temps but then I'd be concerned his warm end would be up above 30. What would you suggest?

He's also due a full viv clean-out but I don't want to disturb him just in case, what should I do?

Erk.
n/a Posted - 17/12/2009 : 12:32:12

Hi Tosh, cold end temp is way too cold. Any way of bringing it up to about 21?

sexychef Posted - 17/12/2009 : 12:29:03
as they get older i have noticed that there sheds get longer as they get older. it could be that

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000