The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Temps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lmfastcars Posted - 13/12/2009 : 20:44:01
I have just been to a wedding over the weekend and have came back to findfluffys temps off the chart and was maybe room tempreture. I normaly keep the heating on as i am getting a thermostat for christmas. As it was soo cold in his viv, i imediatly turned the heating on and am currently holding him so he can get some warmth through my body hheat. I fed him before i went to the wedding and im not sure when the room got so cold but he has still got a slight buldge in. when i got back he was moving really slowly andhis tounge was slowly movingaswell, please please can any onetell me is everything alright with him, is thereany thing i need to look out for? thanks guys
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 27/12/2009 : 21:37:17
floor temp (on the substrate above the heatmat) if you're running a mat hun
lmfastcars Posted - 25/12/2009 : 23:11:03
:) also, should I be measuring the air temp or the floor temp, I'm pretty sure it's the floor temp but I just wanna make sure cheers everyone

Liam
gingerpony Posted - 25/12/2009 : 21:27:34
the stick on type will give you a rough guide to temps and its better than nothing hun
lmfastcars Posted - 25/12/2009 : 20:30:11
I've got the stat all set up now and the probe is on the heat mat at the mo because the digi themometer didn't turn up, so untill then, will the probe and the "stick on" themometers do for now?
lmfastcars Posted - 24/12/2009 : 14:49:24
not yet but in the morning as soon as i get it its gnna be set up ASAP
Blackecho Posted - 16/12/2009 : 17:40:24
So have you got a stat now?
lmfastcars Posted - 16/12/2009 : 14:04:53
thats a good way of doing things. the other day when i was buying fluffys substrate, a woman came in the shop asking to buy a hamster but the shopkeeper wanted her to show proof that shes got everything. It definatly adds to their reputation in my eyes and im sure in alot of other peoples to.
HannahB Posted - 16/12/2009 : 06:48:53
i wish more shops were like the one i go to.. he wont let you buy a set up without a stat unless you can prove that you already have one
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/12/2009 : 21:06:31
quote:
Originally posted by lmfastcars

I know, i regret it alot but i just going to have to keep checking the heat mat , inormally alot anyway but becasue its under plastic, doesnt seem to heat up to 70oC like the pics but they are a good example of why Poeple like me should get a stat

Not only that, it's also a good example of why shops should insist on a stat.
A high volume of shops don't tell people about the stat, and you can usually buy a 'complete' snake starter kit (viv,substrate,hides,waterbowl) for about 50-70 quid (some including snakes), but they don't seem to tell about the stat. Just in case the extra bit of equipment cost will put people off.

Also, having a stat will also cut the electricity used as well, not by a lot mind, but over the course of a couple years it builds up.
lmfastcars Posted - 15/12/2009 : 17:31:24
I know, i regret it alot but i just going to have to keep checking the heat mat , inormally alot anyway but becasue its under plastic, doesnt seem to heat up to 70oC like the pics but they are a good example of why Poeple like me should get a stat
n/a Posted - 15/12/2009 : 15:42:18
Truly Shocking
I cant believe people would take the chance of having a grilled snake for a pet...
Dont think of your own pocket people- think of the responsibility You have taken on with a live animal.
Great Job Kehhlyr- I think those pics should be in a Sticky.
xXx
lee2308 Posted - 15/12/2009 : 14:38:24
thats enough to cook a snakey
eeji Posted - 14/12/2009 : 22:18:40
to ANYONE without a stat, read the above post. nuff said.
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/12/2009 : 20:09:28
I would like to draw your attention to the following pics, they were taken about 5 mins ago, on a mat that I left without a stat to see how hot it would get.
Even I was suprised at how hot it got, yet with the stat it sits happily around the 29c mark.

There is a variation of about 10-12 degrees C across the mat.
This mat was left on the carpet with a feeding rub on top, to emulate a mat without a stat without risking damaging a snake.

However not all mats might hit this temperature, but is it a risk worth taking?
A £20-30 stat, or potentially hundreds of pounds on vet treatment, I know what I'd go for.

I'm not trying to scare-monger you, but a stat is essential, and it should be something that is purchased at the same time as the heatmat.
Paulusworm Posted - 14/12/2009 : 19:31:50
What's the minimum load on the stat you've bought and which model in the Habistat range is it?

As for not having a stat in the first place I won't even go there. Anyone that knows me knows how strongly I feel on that particular subject .
lmfastcars Posted - 14/12/2009 : 16:48:16
nice one hillzi, fluffys temps are back to normal and he is more active now and im just waiting for him to poo. I know that thermo stats are a must for reptiles now but when i was in the shop i had so much varied information coming from different shops and the internet (which by the way isnt the most helpful thing in the world, apart from this website which is the most knowledgeable one i found) i didnt know who to believe so i whent with the person in the shops opinion becasue he seemed to know what he was doing andhe also was telling me and my mum about how you dont need one right away. I managed to get my mum to by a habistat 700 watt thermostat and just waiting for christmas now. cheers everryone
sexychef Posted - 14/12/2009 : 16:21:34
thermostats a must for reptiles. then you would have a consistant hot end temp giving your snake the best chances to thermoregulate.
hillzi Posted - 14/12/2009 : 15:39:51
I had this problem. I fed blaze when the temps were 26*, (cold weather and glass tank means heat loss) and to my amazement mousey shot through him within two nights and left me a gracious present.

Blitz seems to hold his poo for about a week though. silly snake

if you can't get temps up, theyr'e hardy critters, just hold of feeding until they go back up.
Blackecho Posted - 14/12/2009 : 07:11:12
The problem is that without heat he will not have been able to digest the food properly. If you're lucky he'll either be able to digest it now or it was far enough along before the heating went. Worst case scenario is that he won't digest the food and it will start to rot, you can imagine the rest yourself.

Keep a close eye on him, make sure that bulge goes and he defacates, if it hasn't in a couple of days I would strongly recommend a Reptile vet which is going to cost you a hell of a lot more that a £20 thermostat.
lmfastcars Posted - 13/12/2009 : 21:36:15
Well the cold end was 58 and the warm was 61 - 63. I fed him, Then hung about for about 3 hours and then left for the wedding. I asked my mums boyfriend to check up on him but he did a rubbish job of that :@ Its really annoying that he didnt

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000