The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 shedding question :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:32:15
I took my corn out today like i do every day, but she seems to be a lighter colour than normal, her eyes are the same as normal, but im just wondering is there colour lightening up the beginning of the shedding prosess?

shes fine other wise, she mad and active as normal haha

any advice would be greatful!

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 18/12/2009 : 11:41:52
It was a spot on shed, the eye parts are there and i watched it come off her tail end too, all there, come off in one piece, well chuffed i got a few pics, but i didnt think to record it haha, i could kick myself now though, was wicked

clare
Kellog Posted - 18/12/2009 : 04:49:19
quote:
Originally posted by female species

I come back from taking my kids to school this morning, and she was in the middle of shedding :)
got to see most of it, pretty amazing!!!!

Measured her skin, and to my supprise it was 4ft 8 inches, 6 inches longer than i though she was haha

shes now all shiney and new yay

clare

So glad you got to see part of her shed...it really is amazing watching them 'walk' out of their old skin!

Was it a clean shed? Did you check that the eye covers and tail tip were on the shed skin? Just normal checks but necessary.

If measuring her length by a shed you need to subtract 10% because skin stretches as it is shed.

Bet your kids were jealous they missed it and you got to see it!

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 16/12/2009 : 23:56:15
quote:

I come back from taking my kids to school this morning, and she was in the middle of shedding :)

Measured her skin, and to my supprise it was 4ft 8 inches, 6 inches longer than i though she was haha

clare

Thats good she shedd i bet you wished you recorded the whole shedding process i think she is not 4.8ft as the shedd stretches a few inches.
tinamiles Posted - 16/12/2009 : 19:51:26
quote:

clare

YAY!!!
n/a Posted - 16/12/2009 : 11:54:42

clare
n/a Posted - 10/12/2009 : 20:32:48
quote:

oh oh oh, lol, i only noticed when i was handling her yesterday, and i havent handled her today because i dont want to stress her, is it ok the still handle her, oh do i carry on as im doing, and leave her to shed????

you can still handler her, but its not advised to when their eyes are completely clouded over, mainly because they have trouble seeing.

personally i feel you dont need to put in an extra bowl of water or mist the viv because it means their whole environment is humid so they do not have a choice if they want more or less humidity , by all means you can still do it if you want to its not a problem , but a little tub full of vermiculite is all my corn needs when she sheds.
(vermiculite does the same as moss but locks in moister alot longer)
n/a Posted - 10/12/2009 : 15:59:18
oh oh oh, lol, i only noticed when i was handling her yesterday, and i havent handled her today because i dont want to stress her, is it ok the still handle her, oh do i carry on as im doing, and leave her to shed????
n/a Posted - 10/12/2009 : 15:19:13
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

I cant wait as it will be her first shed since ive had her, i feel like a little girls all over again hahaha
how sad am i getting excited of her first shed with me hehehehe

It may be worthwhile adding some humidity into her viv to help her with her shed. You can add an extra waterbowl in to her viv and put it in the hot end of her viv. Also you can mist with a spray can once each morning, just a light spray. The best thing is probably a moss hide. Have a look at these topics, they might help.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3654&SearchTerms=moss,hide

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699&SearchTerms=moss,hide

I do hope that you get to see her shed, it is a really amazing experience. When she does you need to remove the shed and check that the eye caplets and the tail piece have come off fully, otherwise it can cause problems.

xxx

ive read loads of the problems they can have with shedding, thanks to the forum, so im gonna keep a close eye on her!!!

her water bowl is now in the hotter end of her tank, im hoping this will help xx
n/a Posted - 10/12/2009 : 14:59:31
cheers all, i think it is the beginning as she is more dull today, and her eyes are going pink from out side in lol, ive popped her water bowl in the hotter end, and im misting the tank in the morning too, im hoping this will help her, i well cant wait :)))))
Kellog Posted - 10/12/2009 : 03:43:38
quote:

I cant wait as it will be her first shed since ive had her, i feel like a little girls all over again hahaha

It may be worthwhile adding some humidity into her viv to help her with her shed. You can add an extra waterbowl in to her viv and put it in the hot end of her viv. Also you can mist with a spray can once each morning, just a light spray. The best thing is probably a moss hide. Have a look at these topics, they might help.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3654&SearchTerms=moss,hide

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699&SearchTerms=moss,hide

I do hope that you get to see her shed, it is a really amazing experience. When she does you need to remove the shed and check that the eye caplets and the tail piece have come off fully, otherwise it can cause problems.

xxx
reptiledanny Posted - 09/12/2009 : 18:19:19
lucky, i ahve never seen or expierienced a shed.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 09/12/2009 : 13:43:25
We was really excited when Hisslehoff had his first shed with us! mainly cos of the fact he starting violently noserubbing on me so i put him in a rub and within 2mins he started to shed, we watched the lot
n/a Posted - 09/12/2009 : 12:33:35
lmfastcars Posted - 09/12/2009 : 11:27:44
fluffys skin went a dimmer colour and then his eyes went misty a couple of days later he shed
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:46:41
Yeah i noticed in our 2 the eyes don't look as dull as black eyed snakes do when they go into blue. Hope this has helped you and hope snakey has a healthy shed
n/a Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:39:44
wicked, her skin is dull, so first thing i done was check her eyes and the still red at the mo, hence i assumed it could be beginning of the sheddin lol, cheers you two

clare
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:37:17
What usually happens with our snakes is they go dull in colour and their pink eyes cloud over a little then they go back to their normal colour then 2 - 3 days after they look 'normal' they shed
hiper2009 Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:35:05
quote:

I took my corn out today like i do every day, but she seems to be a lighter colour than normal, her eyes are the same as normal, but im just wondering is there colour lightening up the beginning of the shedding prosess?

shes fine other wise, she mad and active as normal haha

any advice would be greatful!

She is probly coming on to a shedd so in a few days her eyes will go blue if its black eyes , or milky eyes if its red eyes then she will hide away for some goood days then she will come out to shedd

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000