The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Bad shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/12/2009 : 12:41:29
Hi
I bought a snow corn about 3 weeks ago, she is just over 1 year old, the previous owner had her for approx 12 months. I think she is a little under weight, she has a slight ridge along her back, which i assume is her spine. Her previous owner was feeding her 1 fuzzy every 10 days and said she had only shed twice in the 12 months he had her. I now feed her 1 small mouse every 7 says and she seems happy with this. She shed yesterday but it was in 4 pieces and I had to help her get the tail piece off. I did this by giving her a bath (temp 28 degrees) then letting her wiggle through a damp towel. Could the bad shed be due to her previously being under fed? I am going to get her a snake cave with damp moss for her next shed, any other ideas? I dont have any pics of her yet but will post some asap
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 02/12/2009 : 22:18:54
When in the bath they are moving and the water or something activates there bowls and then they just poo and oh boy its nasty my snake Romeo lays the biggest ones in the bath its very shocking But nothing to be worried about
n/a Posted - 02/12/2009 : 12:56:34
Normally I would leave her but I fed her on sunday and she shed on monday, but needed help getting the shed off. Since shes a snow I had no idea she was going to shed apart from she was a bit jittery on sunday night. She looks beautiful now though :)
n/a Posted - 02/12/2009 : 08:42:51
Im no expert on this one, but after a feed you need to leave her to digest her foor for 48 hours :) due to risk of them regerging

clare
n/a Posted - 01/12/2009 : 22:06:32
Awesome thanks guys :)
I have more questions though! I forgot to mention that when she was in the bath she did the biggest poo ever!!! Before that I haven't seen any poos and shes had 3 feeds with us now, could this be due to the change in diet? or maybe she just hid them from us lol! Also I went to check on her today and she was very upset, rattling her tail and moving away from me when usually she is very placid, could this be due to the stress of shedding and possibly her first ever bath yesterday? or could it be that now she has been fed properly her true colours are coming out lol!!! I think I will just leave her for a few days to relax after a stressful shed, what do you think?
hiper2009 Posted - 01/12/2009 : 18:07:33
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

The thread hiper has linked to will definately give you some good tips for future sheds.

Also on that link there is another 2 links on that thread on how to make a moss hide box and prepare moss.
HannahB Posted - 01/12/2009 : 17:18:39
it could just be due to the stress still of a new home and getting used to a better feeding pattern, one of my royals shed fine previously and the week i got him had an awful shed which i think was down to moving house - maybe its the same for your corn?
but the thread hiper has linked to will definately give you some good tips for future sheds
gmac Posted - 01/12/2009 : 14:09:04
my hatchlings need a wee help shedding and my yearlings last shed had to give him a bath as well so it is nothing really to worry about. dont think this has anything to do with underfeeding

As for only shedding twice in the past 12 months, i would be surprised, my hatchies shed every 4 - 5 weeks.

Small mice every 7 days is what i do also so that is fine
hiper2009 Posted - 01/12/2009 : 13:31:40
Hi i have had the same problem as you with one of my hatchlings. If you read this thread below it will help you. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6783

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000