The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Bbaby corn death

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 23/11/2009 : 13:13:40
hey people
im reporting very sad news my baby corn died over the last weekend, and im asking for any ideas as too why or if anyone can explain this circumstance too me,
he was active and fine just an hr prior to his death, he had been fed 4 days prior but seem to not be digesting his food his bump where he had fed was slowly and i mean slowly going down and when i went to check on him and clean out his viv he was found dead along side which can only be described as a partially digestive pinkie with a disgusting smell, the pinkie was black at the time of finding him, the pinkie he was fed was small and not too big for him, his viv is heated correctly his whole set up is correct im just wondering if anyone has experienced or has any knowledge as to why he could possibly of digested partially the pinkie and what i presume vomited back up and whether or not this is the reason for his death,

he was always a fussy eater and would sometimes go up to 8 days without a feed he was young and only 30 cm he had shed several weeks before and everything seemed to be fine with him.

if anyone has any ideas as to why this could of happened or the reasons to which could've caused it i would be very very thankful
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/11/2009 : 17:32:29

Very sorry to read all of this. I know how upsetting it can be to find one's snake dead, happened not too long ago to my 10 years old

One lesson I have learned is always to keep the snake so that a vet can give an accurate cause of death. We didn't, and then despite reassurances to the contrary, it took us days to stop thinking that somehow it could have been out fault, and I was constantly checking on the others and feeling scared of what I might find.

It's good that you are able to establish a likely cause of death and I hope this will help you in getting through this bad experience.

Kellog Posted - 23/11/2009 : 22:16:32
Hillzi has put it perfectly Grizzly. I am so sorry for your loss and when you worry that it is something that you have done makes it even worse. I do hope the experts have managed to put your mind at rest that it was something that was going to happen, you couldnt have stopped it and have done nothing wrong. Nature works in its own way I am afraid and sometimes there is nothing you can do to change that.

I am glad you have Hera and Cheron still for company, but I also know that will not stop you mourning the passing of your little one.

You and your partner are in my thoughts.

xxx
hillzi Posted - 23/11/2009 : 19:56:43
Sorry to hear this, my 2 healthy corns passed away in shock, with perfect set up's in the summer, and last winter. it hasn't put me off. It is a very sad time, but its nature if theres no way you couldv'e caused his death which i extremely doubt, some corns aren't made to make it unfortunately.

n/a Posted - 23/11/2009 : 18:18:09
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

this is only a guestimate of what could have happened...

If he's not eaten so much then his gut bacteria could have been low which could be the cause of the slow digestion. If he's had this problem the pinky would start rotting inside him before its properly digested and this is possibly why its been regurged.
The stress of all this added to undigested rotting food in the stomach i guess would have been the modt likely cause of him passing.

as already said, the only sure way of knowing would be to have a post mortem done.

I think this seems to be the most likely cause, as he did take a while to digest this pinkie and it smelt foul so i think you've hit the nail on the head.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
n/a Posted - 23/11/2009 : 18:15:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I think it sounds that way. You seem to have been doing everything right, but sometimes some corns do develop or are born with health issues that cause premmature death.

I would guess that it's some kind of blockage or growth in the digestive system somewhere, but you'll never know for sure unless you take him to the vets for a post-mortem.

I hope it's not put you off snake keeping?

we are devastated and its a terribly sad occurrence, but in no way has it put us off snake keeping, we have our other lady Hera (amel) and Charon (cremsicle)for company.

Have to post pics soon.
eeji Posted - 23/11/2009 : 16:49:18
this is only a guestimate of what could have happened...

If he's not eaten so much then his gut bacteria could have been low which could be the cause of the slow digestion. If he's had this problem the pinky would start rotting inside him before its properly digested and this is possibly why its been regurged.
The stress of all this added to undigested rotting food in the stomach i guess would have been the modt likely cause of him passing.

as already said, the only sure way of knowing would be to have a post mortem done.
Kazerella Posted - 23/11/2009 : 16:41:28
I think it sounds that way. You seem to have been doing everything right, but sometimes some corns do develop or are born with health issues that cause premmature death.

I would guess that it's some kind of blockage or growth in the digestive system somewhere, but you'll never know for sure unless you take him to the vets for a post-mortem.

I hope it's not put you off snake keeping?
n/a Posted - 23/11/2009 : 15:51:25
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Bear

he had twice before passed a pinkie which looked only partially, if digested but still whole and squashed, but he was still passing feces as well

sorry i cant post pics as i have disposed of the pinkie in question

perhaps these were not passed and were regurgitated,so could of been a long term health issue

yep, thats what i was thinking and being so young perhaps coulda been a birth defect that no one could forseen
lee2308 Posted - 23/11/2009 : 15:11:04
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Bear

he had twice before passed a pinkie which looked only partially, if digested but still whole and squashed, but he was still passing feces as well

perhaps these were not passed and were regurgitated,so could of been a long term health issue
n/a Posted - 23/11/2009 : 15:02:05
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You say everything was set up correctly, but can you give more details, temperatures, controls, hides etc. Pics would help. Was he passing food ok?

Sounds like for some reason the food wasn't digested, but 4 days from eating sounds a bit quick to kill, unless there was a blockage of some sort (substrate perhaps) and there was already food stuck in the rotting?

Sorry to hear of your loss.

thanks for your reply il provide the info of course, the temperatures where, above the heat mat between 80F and 88F and the cool end was a steady 72F,with thermometers on both sides of the tank, he had several hides at each end of the tank,he was fed outside of his tank so substrate couldn't of been a problem,his main substrate was kitchen roll, with a sprinkle of aspen, and was provided with fresh bottled drinking water daily

n/a Posted - 23/11/2009 : 14:11:22
may also add that this has been an incredibly upsetting occasion for my partner and i
any help would much appreciated
Thanks
Blackecho Posted - 23/11/2009 : 14:10:42
You say everything was set up correctly, but can you give more details, temperatures, controls, hides etc. Pics would help. Was he passing food ok?

Sounds like for some reason the food wasn't digested, but 4 days from eating sounds a bit quick to kill, unless there was a blockage of some sort (substrate perhaps) and there was already food stuck in the rotting?

Sorry to hear of your loss.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000