The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 help needed please.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/11/2009 : 17:09:52
Just noticed that my pewter has shed but he seems to have lost the tip of his tail it is a brown colour and it is hard. what do i do should i take him to the vets.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 21/11/2009 : 12:11:07
the frequent shedding could just be down to the necrotic tail tip...
which in turn is down to poor husbandry over a longer period of time

it will drop off soon...usually with a shed. when he's in blue give him a damp hide to try make it easier for him. when it does come off he'll likely have a sore bit which could do with some Tamodine/Vetadine dabbing on once of twice a day for a couple of days or until it doesn't look sore. during this time substrate should be paper/kitchen roll only and the enclosure kept scrupulously clean to help prevent infection.
Kellog Posted - 21/11/2009 : 01:00:40
The shedding 3 times in 5 weeks would certainly concern me. Can you get a few pics of him up as soon as possible so the more experienced owners can look and try and help.

xxx
Blackecho Posted - 20/11/2009 : 20:43:57
3 times in 5 weeks?

That could be a sign of another problem, mites perhaps?

The tip of the tail is most likely to be down to an incomplete shed and necrosis has set in, eventually it will fall off. In future, check all sheds are complete.
n/a Posted - 20/11/2009 : 20:24:57
The mark is on his tail He is 6 months old the bloke i got him from said he got stuck under his water bowl a few months ago. He only has newspaper and a small amount of aspen in his hide.He has shed 3 times in the last 5 weeks.Can it cause him any pain.
lmfastcars Posted - 20/11/2009 : 18:50:45
If it is due to shedding, you may want to bath him in warm water and then let him slide througha towel to get the the excess shed off :) good luck
Jennet Posted - 20/11/2009 : 18:03:44
Hi snakecharmer... It would be good if you could get a piccie up of the tail

Is it the end of his tail that is brown and hard, or the end of the shed?

Have a good look at the tip of his tail and see if it is showing any sign of damage? If it is, then it would probably be a good idea to get him off whatever bedding you have in presently and put him on kitchen roll.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come on later and may be able to provide you with more idea's, but it would be helpful if you could expand a little on his condition, including age and any previous health info etc.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000