The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Problem Shedder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hiper2009 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 20:13:45
Hi all today Whisky Shedd his head only and left all the rest with out shedding it so i bathed him to help him shedd but had to keep repeating this as the shedd didnt want to come off, but in the end i managed to see it all coming off.

Now i think he is a problem shedder so is there a way i can help him alot better on the next shedd as i dont want to stress him out as he is a little hatchling i have never had a problem shedder so i need help please
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
casper Posted - 19/11/2009 : 10:48:41
I second Blackecho moist hide suggestion!
Works every time for Casper. As soon as I see her starting to dull down and her eyes cloud over I add the moss and keep it in there until she had shed. Just damp it down or replace it as required during this time!
hiper2009 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 22:08:17
Spoke to BlackEcho , Was advised to do these two things which should solve the problem.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1766
Blackecho Posted - 18/11/2009 : 22:03:59
Moist hide's the way to go
HannahB Posted - 18/11/2009 : 21:47:16
there are loads of options for helping Whisky shed
you can move the water bowl over to the warm side but dont leave it over there too long as you can end up evaporating all the water off..
other options are to get some damp sphagnum moss and put it in a hide for him, you could replace his most frequented hide so that you know its being used but its personal choice
some people use orchid bark instead of moss as it raises the humidity,
could bathe snakey when you see him going dull,

he might not necessarily be a bad shedder, zero shed badly the first time he shed with us but the second time he did it just fine, Little One was the same for me - pieces all over the place but hes not normally a bad shedder so i think it was probably him still adjusting to a new home
hiper2009 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 21:45:42
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

we have had to bathe our hatchling every time he has shed, he has never fully shed himself. We do the same as you and give him a bath and then let him run through a tea towel or similar, it does take a bit of time but its better taking the time to help him along.

Yes but there must be an easyier way of doing it as i had to sit there for 50mins helping him get the shedd off his body . And im sure it must of stressed him out
gmac Posted - 18/11/2009 : 21:34:23
we have had to bathe our hatchling every time he has shed, he has never fully shed himself. We do the same as you and give him a bath and then let him run through a tea towel or similar, it does take a bit of time but its better taking the time to help him along.

hiper2009 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 21:21:54
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Know the feeling mate, worrying. Got some questions for ya

Has he got plenty enough things to rub on?
Did you bath him after he cleared up after being in blue?
Did you use moss?
Did you move the waterbowl on the hotside?

Things will help him shed, hope he does it well next time.

- He has two hides
- Four rolls of loo tubes
- Water bowl
- A medium rock

- Didn't notice the blue eyes i handled him yesterday and he had black eyes so did not bath him.

- Didn't use Moss or Vermiculite as i never had needed it for Romeo and this is the first shedd i have had with Whisky.

- And no i didn't put the waterbowl to the warm side as i didn't know i can do that .

Ive never had a problem shedder so i wouldn't know what to do and how to solve it so any answer's will help me for his next shedd.

Regards Ash
Jennet Posted - 18/11/2009 : 20:30:56
A damp hide works well for most snakes, and I think it was GP who once posted about using a slightly (old) roughish flannel that is just damp to allow the snake to keep running through until all of the shed comes off...
hillzi Posted - 18/11/2009 : 20:26:28
Know the feeling mate, worrying. Got some questions for ya

Has he got plenty enough things to rub on?
Did you bath him after he cleared up after being in blue?
Did you use moss?
Did you move the waterbowl on the hotside?

Things will help him shed, hope he does it well next time.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000