The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Obesity?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lmfastcars Posted - 17/11/2009 : 17:49:32
I was wondering if there are any obvious signs of obesity? I have been looking about on various different websites and the only bit of info i got is if they curl up and you can see spots of skin. Is this true? Also after curling up along time, they said that if they are overweight you can see somewhat 'love handles'. Is all of this true? Today i was looking at fluffy (my snake) and he was curled up in his hiding spot and i could see like the scales looked thicker and like they were coming out a bit but i picked him up and he is acting fine. He is about to shed and his eyes are just a bit blue at the moment so it shouldnt be too long before he sheds. Is any of this todo with the sheding or is it all just to do with housing or anything else? please help. thanks :)
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lmfastcars Posted - 19/11/2009 : 16:42:57
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Missy is only 5 months and is on doubble fuzzies! She is a big girl so Pics like eveyone has said will help!! I thought Missy was overweight But turns out she is not! Asked the breeder about her and she said fatheres mother was huge So she probably will be to!! When she looked after her for a week she admited she was huge for her age, but defanitly not over weight! So snakes age and length is irrelivent to what should be fed, I guess it depends on the snake its self?

I can tell from the picture that shes a big snake she looks like a lovly snake aswell, thanks for that, i just looked at fluffy and he was relaxed over the faunarium and i couldn't see any bits of skin, i think i might just be panicky, he looks quite well when hes spread out.
lmfastcars Posted - 19/11/2009 : 16:40:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by lmfastcars

[Ive also read that snakes will not eat any more than they need to so i thouhgt it was alright....

I may be wrong but I know that in the wild corns are opportunistic feeders and will eat all they can in one go as they dont know when their next meal will come. Given the chance I would assume that captive bred corns would do the same so it is up to us to regulate their feed as we know when they are next being fed even if they dont.

Is that right??

xxx

That sounds about right, i would eat as much as i could if i didnt know when my next meal was going to come running about lol Thanks
lmfastcars Posted - 19/11/2009 : 16:39:39
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

corns will eat until they're ready to burst so they're very easy to overfeed

Lol Noted! thanks
casper Posted - 19/11/2009 : 13:28:33
As the guy in the shop said to me when I brought Casper.....................
'Corns are dustbins!'
eeji Posted - 19/11/2009 : 13:18:39
corns will eat until they're ready to burst so they're very easy to overfeed
Kellog Posted - 19/11/2009 : 05:38:00
quote:
Originally posted by lmfastcars

[Ive also read that snakes will not eat any more than they need to so i thouhgt it was alright....

I may be wrong but I know that in the wild corns are opportunistic feeders and will eat all they can in one go as they dont know when their next meal will come. Given the chance I would assume that captive bred corns would do the same so it is up to us to regulate their feed as we know when they are next being fed even if they dont.

Is that right??

xxx
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 22:55:14
I agree with devil on the all snakes are different...i have several at 5 months old and even tho there on the same food there all different sizes...How ever i have just put aggie on a diet after ready about the seeing the skin thru the scales lol ...aggie is offically a porker lol
devilsmistress Posted - 18/11/2009 : 22:25:53
Missy is only 5 months and is on doubble fuzzies! She is a big girl so Pics like eveyone has said will help!! I thought Missy was overweight But turns out she is not! Asked the breeder about her and she said fatheres mother was huge So she probably will be to!! When she looked after her for a week she admited she was huge for her age, but defanitly not over weight! So snakes age and length is irrelivent to what should be fed, I guess it depends on the snake its self?
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 13:14:27
2 fuzzies a week may be a bit much. But again, pictures will help. x
lmfastcars Posted - 18/11/2009 : 13:00:06
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

At a year I should think Fluffy needs to be on fuzzies or small mice.

My bad i just got a bit confused then i was supposed to say two fuzzies thanks
lmfastcars Posted - 18/11/2009 : 12:58:52
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

i think you can tell if a snake is overweight as you can see the skin between the scales when they are relaxed, at least thats what i read

Thats what i read and it got me a little bit worried becasue i can see like very tiny bits of skin and also he tends to curl up in a kitchen role so im not sure if the kitchen roll tube is to small becasue his skin kind of folds over other bits of skin slightly
However he does like us the whole kitchen tube but he doesnt like his other hiding place and its bigger so im a bit confused. thanks
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 12:58:32
At a year I should think Fluffy needs to be on fuzzies or small mice.
lmfastcars Posted - 18/11/2009 : 12:55:34
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

What age, length, weight and feeding schedule is Fluffy on? Pics would definitely help.

xxx

He is only about a year and a month old, he is getting fed two pinkies every saturday and he happily eats them. Ive also read that snakes will not eat any more than they need to so i thouhgt it was alright but when hes relaxing you can see very small bits of skin. I willl get pictures up here but he is shedding at the moment so ill leave him to do that and then try afterwards .
Kellog Posted - 18/11/2009 : 05:29:07
What age, length, weight and feeding schedule is Fluffy on? Pics would definitely help.

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:27:44
Yup, when they are relaxed and NOT curled up.
If you can see white bits between the scales when it's fairly straight, then it's probably overweight.

This is obviously easier to see on darker snakes.
HannahB Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:11:13
i think you can tell if a snake is overweight as you can see the skin between the scales when they are relaxed, at least thats what i read
SexyBear77 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:04:31
When close to shedding the scales can come up a bit, but skin being visible between the scales is a definite sign of portliness!

Pictures would definitely be a help if you are at all concerned about Fluffy, that way we can have a look and offer some advice if needed. x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000