The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Regurge

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:33:31
Hi all. Fed Candyfloss on Weds night and left her for 3 days before picking her up. Got her out the viv on Saturday night and after handling for about 10 mins she regurged . I wouldn't have thought that after 3 days she should have had anything left to regurge. Is there something wrong that is stopping her digesting? What should we look for? She's not done this before.

I think the set up is fine but please correct me if I'm wrong! Temps are: warm end varies between 27.9 and 29.8 c and the cool end is about 20-22 c. Heat mat covers just under half the tank and is controlled with a thermostat. She has 2 hides in the warm end and 1 in the cool end.

She does seem to spend most of her time in the cool end and does sometimes feel quite cold when we get her out.

After feeding, she goes to her warm end for about a day and then moves back to the cool end.

I've tried taking out her cool hide for a short time to encourage her to the warm end. She goes up to the warm end but comes straight back to the cool end as soon as we put the hide back in.

I've worried that maybe the digital thermometer is wrong and its actually getting too hot but I've tried with 3 different thermometers and always get the same readings.

Sorry about the length of the post but thought I'd give as much info as I could. Any suggestions?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 10/11/2009 : 11:18:26
30.5 is alright, glad shes enjoying the warmth now
n/a Posted - 10/11/2009 : 09:03:23
Well, I've moved everything around a bit for her - and upped the temps in the warm end. When I left home this morning the warm end was 30.5 c (is that OK or getting too hot?) She was in her favourite hide in the warm end so that seems to have done the trick.

When I went in to see last night just before I went to bed, she'd burrowed under the substrate at the warm end so I think she'd suddenly realised that being warm is a good thing

Thanks all for your help . I'll continue to monitor the temps.
HannahB Posted - 09/11/2009 : 17:34:53
definately put the favourite hide in the warm end - i remember aura stayed in the warm end all the time until i moved her hides around and she then wouldnt leave the cool end, took me ages to figure out that it was cause she prefered the hide in the cool end..

try and get the warm end up to 30, mine generally hover around 29-30..i have bumped the stat up to 32 though now its winter as my room has no heating so its colder than other rooms just so that its still warm enough for them
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 17:30:08
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Out of interest how old/big is candyfloss.

Don't know what happened with my last post Tizzy but did say:

Thanks Tizzy - she's about 1 year old and about 3 feet. She's a good size and very active when she's out of the viv. Not so active in the viv but if she's feeling a bit cold that would explain it.

I'll up her temps a bit when I get home - should they be nearer 30? I'll also move hides round and put the one that's in the cold end into the warm end as she seems to prefer that one - it does have a smaller opening and she may just feel more secure in there. I've also got a smaller spare exo-terra hide (was Bubbles before he went missing ) so I'll put that one in as well.
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 17:25:29
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

How often is your snake being fed? When is she next due a shed? Make sure that the hides in the warm end arent too spacious for your snake, they like for their sides to touch the edges! Nice and cosy. It may also be worth turning the hide entrances to face a wall, if they dont do so already.

Thanks SB - she gets fed every 7 - 10 days. More normally its nearer 7 but sometimes we leave her a bit longer to encourage her out to hunt. This time it had been 9 days. She's only just shed last week (and she looks beautiful and bright!). As per previous post, I'll move the hides around a bit and add a smaller hide - I think maybe the main one in the warm end is too big and open for her. If she does go in the warm end, she squeezes into the kitchen roll tube rather than the wooden hide.
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 17:22:21
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Agreeed the viv could do with being a couple of degrees warmer at each end this could be the problem. You can get digi therms on eBay really cheep http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-POSTAGE_W0QQitemZ230394702632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item35a4982b28and they are so much better than the dial ones And it never hurts to stick a few extra hides in the warm end to see if you can make it more appealing (nothing fancy a cardboard box will do)

Don't panic yet, one regurge is not the end of the world, try to get the temps up to 30 at the hot end leave snakey 10 days before you try to feed again and maybe then go down a pray size of 2 when you do feed.

Tizzy Posted - 09/11/2009 : 14:02:11
Agreeed the viv could do with being a couple of degrees warmer at each end this could be the problem. You can get digi therms on eBay really cheep http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-POSTAGE_W0QQitemZ230394702632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item35a4982b28and they are so much better than the dial ones And it never hurts to stick a few extra hides in the warm end to see if you can make it more appealing (nothing fancy a cardboard box will do)

Don't panic yet, one regurge is not the end of the world, try to get the temps up to 30 at the hot end leave snakey 10 days before you try to feed again and maybe then go down a pray size of 2 when you do feed.

SexyBear77 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:51:03
I'd say your cool end maybe is a little too cool... if the hot end feels warm or hot to the touch then it will be to hot for your snake.

How often is your snake being fed? When is she next due a shed? Make sure that the hides in the warm end arent too spacious for your snake, they like for their sides to touch the edges! Nice and cosy. It may also be worth turning the hide entrances to face a wall, if they dont do so already.

Good luck x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000