The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 new corn not eating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:28:53
got a 2nd corn snake 3 days ago,he is 2 and a half months old.
i have put him in with my 1 yr old(was told by an experienced breeder/keeper that this was ok)
which i am happy to do,i know people are split over keeping them together.
today is feeding day my amel took his normal 2 pinkies.
the new one took no interest at all,he has been taking pinkies fine before and his last feed was on the 25th of oct.
i put him seperatly in a container in the viv and all he has done is flick the pinkie into the water bowl.
how long can i leave him with the pinkie before trying a fresh one (if he does not eat it)
all comments welcome
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:23:18
I would split them up asap- from the sounds of it your snake is stressed.

Plus there is every chance you could end up with 1 very fat snake. Keeping snakes together is only for the very experienced.
Kellog Posted - 09/11/2009 : 11:38:13
I dont agree with co-habiting, especially snakes of different sizes...but I also accept that it is my personal opinion and others have their own thoughts on it - though it sounds to me as though your new snake is stressed as he is not eating. So you need to look at what might be stressing him.
Maybe it would be wise to set him up in his own viv and see if he starts to feed - that would at least eliminate one reason for his not feeding.

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 21:11:47
i can get a second viv set up very quickly if needed,it could be one of mattys first suggestions that the second needs to settle in longer
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 21:02:57
Do you have a second set up ready if there are problems? If your snake isn't eating, then it obviously isn't happy, so maybe you should split them up until they are a similar size, and then re try cohabiting.
matty18714 Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:48:01
Of course, thats your choice. But it goes wrong, is it you or the snakes that will suffer?
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:45:17
the breeder i got them from has kept and bred snakes for many years and i was happy to take his advice.
matty18714 Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:37:54
I cant say im a fan, too many people seem to give snakes the same credit for intelligence as they would give a mammal.

The larger snake could quite possibly kill and eat the smaller one. How can you say they have settled in? The fact that hes not eating hints otherwise. The reson they are curled up is because they both want the best spot in the cage. They are not mammals, they dont love each other.
n/a Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:35:50
they settled in together straight away,and whenever i look in the viv they are curled up together.so i dont see the problem.i take you are not a fan of keeping snakes together
matty18714 Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:32:11
Keeping two corns together is one thing, corns of differant sizes is another. Its just not safe and not fair on the animals.

You have also only had the snake for 3 days. 7 days is the standard length of time to leave a new arrival to settle down from the move. Just leave it be for another week only changing the water.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000