The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 snake on snake brutality!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 22:08:28
I have a pair of 3 year old's, they have been together since hatching. The bred this spring, all seems fine, and then this morning I find the female has beat up on the male during the night! Blood everywhere, however, he looks like he will be ok--BUT:

Do i have to separate them now and forever??

What do I do about his wounds??
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 14:17:22
Oh, sorry to hear about the fight! hope your snakie is ok.

I would get a vet to check out his injuries, and as suggested above, keep him on kitchen towel or newspaper to keep the environment as clean as possible.

just as a side note, you may want to consider keeping them sepearte all the time, as they will breed all year round and this can have serious repercussions, especially for the female. She may well have attacked him because he was getting "pushy"
hillzi Posted - 26/10/2009 : 08:46:30
Yes. and the debate could go on for years about whether co habiting is a good or bad thing, and I'm not going to start it!!

A worse thing to worry about, make sure theres no aspen near his wound, wouldnt want a piece to get in there. In the seperate tank, if you haven't already, I'd keep him on kitchen roll.

To what extent are his wounds. Can you make out where they are on his body?
HannahB Posted - 26/10/2009 : 08:44:12
hope the injured snakey is ok
keep them separated and get the injured one in to see a vet is the best thing to do
a33272 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 07:54:56
co-habiting is a very delicate subject there is a thread here somewhere all about it worth reading
Kellog Posted - 26/10/2009 : 05:15:00
Sorry I cant give you any advice Lisa, except to repeat what has been said already.

Keep them seperated!

Pics as soon as possible from all angles of wounded snake. Then more accurate advice can be given. One of our members is a vet in training and fantastic at medical advice (Gingerpony) but she will need as much info as possible to be able to help.

Maybe vet will be necessary, hope you have a knowledgable reptile vet.

xxx
lee2308 Posted - 25/10/2009 : 23:14:33
i would take this as a early warning,leave them together and you'll end up with just the one snake.
Kehhlyr Posted - 25/10/2009 : 23:00:39
ALso, where on his body are the wounds???
devilsmistress Posted - 25/10/2009 : 22:41:07
Yes they will have to be kept seperate from now on co habiting sankes is always a big risk as you have found out. It sounds like one has tried to eat the other.
As for the injured snake, the best thing you can do is get it to a vets ASAP!
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 22:37:04
Thanks Alicat & Hawkeye--They are separated and your idea about a picture is a good one--I'll see what I can do.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 22:24:46

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your snakes!

We have some very experiences and knowledgable people here, only it's late at night in the UK so some answers may only come in during the day. Meanwhile, I hope you've separated them. Any chance you could get snakey to a vet to be looked over? Can you post pictures please? It will help those who know give you more accurate answers.

n/a Posted - 25/10/2009 : 22:20:46
I don't really have any experience as I am a fairly new owner, but I would definitely seperate them for the moment, don't want to risk further stress for your male. From previous posts by Gingerpony, I would hazard a guess at vetadine, but I would wait for those that know.

Alicat

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000