The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Probably nothing but.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:04:09
Cinco happily scoffed his two pinkies on the 15/10/09, his third two pinkie meal and was active-ish the next day (by that I mean he changed his spot in the Faun a few times and came up to the side to watch the telly once or twice). Since then though he's been in the cool end, under his kitchen roll and foliage, mostly curled up. I don't want to disturb him too much so I've only peeked a couple of times just to make sure he's okay (and, if I'm honest, still breathing). The temp at the warm end is a steady 28.5 and the cool end is 23/24.

He last shed on 22/9/09 and prior to that on the 17/08/09, that's more or less a month apart. Do you think he's due a shed? As i said already I've not really been able to get a good look at him as he's hiding, his colour may have dulled a bit but I'm not entirely sure. How long should I leave him before I start to really worry and get him out to have a good look at him? If he's about to shed then the last thing I want to do is pee him off by handling him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 29/10/2009 : 05:34:14
That is such a relief bbsmog. Please dont think you have been a bother about it all....these snakes are our responsibility and we love and care for them, so of course we are going to stress when something happens that is outside their normal behaviour. That is what this forum is here for....to get the information you need to understand what is going on and to keep you sane while it is happening - and I talk from experience! xxx
n/a Posted - 28/10/2009 : 21:22:24
Well Cinco FINALLY shed on the 24th (the day after I made my last epic post!). In real terms, if you take off 2 days for digestion, it's taken 7 days. Can you all please remind me that the next time I start freaking out about him hiding?!!

It was his second shed since I've had him but the first came and went in 2 days with almost no build up or hiding so this one was a bit traumatic (for me, not him!).

You've all been really patient and kind while I've been having a cow so thanks one and all
HannahB Posted - 27/10/2009 : 21:47:40
just to give you an idea as to how the shedding process timescale can vary between snakes;

Mont - from eyes first going blue to shedding usually 15days maybe 17
Liberty - from eyes first going blue to shedding usually 3v-v4 days
Edison - from eyes first going blue to shedding around 3 -5 days

dont panic too much.. he will shed in his own time - is it his first shed with you?
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 17:35:01
Just been reading this bbsmog. What's been happening since last post on 23rd?
n/a Posted - 24/10/2009 : 11:49:38
He probably just wants to relax if he is eating 2 pinkies especialy when it is getting colder now and to check if he is overdue a shed:
When you hold him and he curls on your finger look to see if he has slight creases in his sin (the inside of his curve) if he does then he is likely to be due a shed ;) hope this helped.
SexyBear77 Posted - 23/10/2009 : 16:07:17
Bear in mind that snakes are most active at night- I'm lucky if I see mine once a week, but the viv is a tip every morning where they have come out for a boogie.

Symptoms of shedding and the time it takes to shed varies from snake to snake. It is good you are being so cautious but I would say just leave him be and see what happens. If you offered him the pinkies and he didnt take them thats fine- at least you offered.

I wouldnt think it is time for the vet at all, I'm sure all will be well.
n/a Posted - 23/10/2009 : 15:58:23
Sorry to bump this up again BUT.....

Cinco was fed on the 15th and has been hiding ever since. I know the first 24 hours or so after feeding was probably digestion time so I wasn’t concerned. He came out some time on the 19th to poop and had a bit of a cruise and since then he’s been in hiding. I checked him without handling him and was sure it was an imminent shed.

When no shed had been forthcoming I got him out of the faun to have closer look on Wednesday night (21st), literally for about 2 minutes so I could see his eyes (He was really ticked off but I really needed a closer look). His eyes were glassy, confirming a shed so I put the damp moss in yesterday morning.

My problem is now that it’s the 23rd, he’s overdue a feed, he’s still hiding and no shed has been forthcoming. That’s 13 days now. I had stopped worrying, but I am again now. Even if you put the first 2 days down to digestion, that’s still 11 days of virtual inactivity and pre-shed symptoms. Is that normal?

I put a couple of pinkies in with him last night in the usual way (I even squeezed one a bit using a paper towel so I popped and oozed ) just in case he wanted to eat, I know that some do and some don’t when they’re shedding. They were still there early this morning so he’s not hungry.

Opinions seem to vary on time taken to go through the shedding process and I know it may seem I’m stressing for nothing but is it time for the vet or am I’m being overly worried?

Nothing has changed in the faun. Temps are stable and where they should be, I de-pooped the faun and have been giving fresh water, but he doesn’t even appear to be drinking (although I rarely see that so that may not be an issue). So can I ask, is it really normal or is it becoming a problem?

Thanks all for your time
HannahB Posted - 20/10/2009 : 06:25:28
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

May be worthwhile putting in moss to up the humidity (dont know exactly how but am sure someone will correct me)

you can get some sphagnum (think thats how you spell it) moss from reptile shops and you just dampen it a bit and put it in a hide..it helps keep it a bit more moist inside the viv/faun which can help with shedding
Kellog Posted - 20/10/2009 : 03:27:19
Glad to hear he has been on the moved and 'done his business', means everything is normal. Now he just needs to be left while he is 'blue' because he will be almost blind. He should be like that for a few days, go clear for 2 - 7 days depending on the snake, then shed. May be worthwhile putting in moss to up the humidity (dont know exactly how but am sure someone will correct me) or mist viv ocassionally, just to help him out.

Dont worry about over-reacting, we wouldn't be good snake owners if we didnt worry about our snakes.

xxx
n/a Posted - 20/10/2009 : 01:21:23
Thanks all.

He had a cruise round his Faun today, pooped in 2 different places and then went back to hiding but his skin is definitely dull and it's looking kind of stretched so I'm confident it's a shed. I told myself I should stop over-reacting but I guess it's probably better to worry a bit than to not be bothered at all.

Cheers guys
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 10:49:44

Could be going through blue phase prior to shed, feeling vulnerable and preferring to stay hidden. Quite possible that tomorrow or next day you'll see him out and about.

HannahB Posted - 19/10/2009 : 10:20:41
yeah think bio is right.. hes just getting ready to shed.. but you will probably notice that as they grow older their habits after feeding will change a lot.. mont used to hide away in the warmth but now hes started using the cool end after a feed but he knows where to go to warm back up again
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 04:18:39
No problem, reassurance, help and advice is what the forums are here for. :)

Goodnight.
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 04:14:29
Really greatful for the reassurance Bioshock. I'm relieved now, at least I could see him! Although when I moved his kitchen roll he gave me had grumpy stare and did that deep breathing thing they do when you annoy them (y'know how I mean, so you can see their sides in and out quite deeply).

I'm going to get some kip now, my other half is playing Left4Dead online with his headphones on and I made him jump by (and I quote) charging around the house in the dark like a nutter mumbling about snakes.

It was at that time that we both realised it was after 4am!!

G'nite and thanks again
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:58:15
It really does sound like he is shedding to me, so hiding away is perfectly normal.

Try not to worry too much. :)
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:56:54
It does sound like the central heating raising the cool temp, but i have never had that problem in my house... although i am honestly not sure if the radiator in the room with the snakes is even turned on! haha

Do let us know how he looks, i am curious now.
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:56:52
Right, firstly he's moved so I could get a proper look at him without touching him. He is definitely dull in colour and looking much like he did before he shed last month so I'm inclined to think that's what it is (I panicked then too, because although he was a bit more active that time, it was the first time he'd shed since he moved in and I wasn't entirely sure what to expect!). He's 5 months old and growing mega quickly!

His pinkie bump has disappeared, although he hasn't pooped and it's been almost 4 days. It was 4 days before he pooped last feed though (although it's never very much when he does go).

Overall I'm calmer than I was but I'm going to keep quietly checking on him for the next 24 hours or so. If i'm still not confident it's a shed by Tuesday then I shall be speaking to the vet.

Thanks Bioshock
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:35:45
The cool side is warmer than usual at the moment, maybe it's the central heating which I've turned on this afternoon for the first time this year. I went downstairs after I posted this topic and had another the look at the therm and it's now reading 21.4 which is only a degree off what is usually is (20.5). I did have some problems with maintaining enough of a difference between cool and warm initially when I first got the faun but it's been fine for the last fortnight.

The cool side temp has only altered today (when I went to bed last night it was 20.5) but the warm side hasn't elevated at all from its usual temp. I think I may have to look at re-siting the faun if the temp flux is down to central heating.

I'm taking your advice and I'm going to go down now and have a look at him. I'm actually starting to panic now :(
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:18:02
One of my snakes shed this evening, it was almost a month to the day since her last shed so i would be inclined to say that you are right about your snake coming up to a shed.

Getting it out to have a look will not upset it too much so i would personally go in and see what is going on, if the snake is found to be blue then i would put it back right away and wait for it to shed.

Just out of interest, is your room really well heated or have you got some kind of heating equipment on the cool side of the tank? My cold sides are currently at 19.2c and 19.1c for all of my vivs.
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:11:27
well younger corns shed more often then older ones mine has been sheding every 4 weeks and is now slowing down a bit but it has been a couple days after he has feed so i dont see a problem getting him out and handing him to see if he is getting ready for a shed hope this is the answer you wanted

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000