The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 HELP! not eating :s

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 18/10/2009 : 19:57:43
my corn jake has not eaten for 15days now she is 8months old. has been eating really well up until last month, nothing has changed within her envivonment, checked heat, only been handling once a week! what more can i do?
had 1 pinky 16/9
" " 23/9
not eaten till 03/9 when i offered a fuzzy for the 1st time and she took it no bother but now not eaten since then. before this she was eating every 4 days 2-3 pinkys!
ive asked the place where i got her and they said it is unusual for a snake of her age that has been eating well to stop eating! she also shed yeserday but didnt stop her from eating the last 2 times!
please help, really worried about my lil jakey
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 02/11/2009 : 03:45:25
quote:
Originally posted by animal_crazy_lady

YEY!!!! she's eaten! been trying with fuzzys the past few wks and had no joy, tried with pinky last night and 'brained' it! she pushed it round and tossed it about and eventually ate it! woop! thanks for all your help guys! :) x

That is great news, for her and for you cos I know how stressful having a non-feeder is. Thanks so much for letting us know!

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/11/2009 : 15:11:30
quote:

YEY!!!! she's eaten! been trying with fuzzys the past few wks and had no joy, tried with pinky last night and 'brained' it! she pushed it round and tossed it about and eventually ate it! woop! thanks for all your help guys! :) x

Excellent!

kizzig Posted - 01/11/2009 : 13:44:45
Glad to hear she's eaten for you!
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 01/11/2009 : 12:01:25
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 09:33:49
good idea, keep us posted!
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 20/10/2009 : 19:23:56
jst been on ebay and ordered a digital thermometer with two prongs :) one 4 each end! £7.99 not bad! guna try feeding again in a few days and weigh her, leaving her alone for now tho!
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 23:10:27
quote:

thanks guys! defo guna get a therometer and start weighing her. i think she maybe did have too much to eat but thats what i got told to give her! thing is she was doing really well for the 1st 2 months i had her and nothing (temp,surroundings) had changed when she stopped eating, thats the only thing i dont understand lol
anyway ive got lots to go on, will keep you posted!

Please do, we all like to hear how snakes do

As for how she was doing ok and now not, well if it's something to do with the setup or possible overfeeding then perhaps it took time to take effect, a bit like the guy who's still ok after the 7th pint but falls of the stairs after the 8th

If you're still in trouble with her come back and say what's happening, we'll give further advice. Good luck and I hope she starts eating again soon, I know what it feels like to have a non-eater .

animal_crazy_lady Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:00:37
thanks guys! defo guna get a therometer and start weighing her. i think she maybe did have too much to eat but thats what i got told to give her! thing is she was doing really well for the 1st 2 months i had her and nothing (temp,surroundings) had changed when she stopped eating, thats the only thing i dont understand lol
anyway ive got lots to go on, will keep you posted!
SexyBear77 Posted - 19/10/2009 : 11:24:00
As above-

small mice or fuzzies should be used in place of the pinkies, and only feed every 7 days. 15 days without feeding isnt a long time at all- it could well be that your snake just isnt hungry as its been fed a little too frequently.

definitely invest in a digital thermometer asap (ebay sell some good ones) as the dials on stats arent accurate at all, and you could be either frying or freezing your snake!

good luck!
HannahB Posted - 19/10/2009 : 10:23:26
you can get some digi thermometers with two probes on..one for the hot and one for the cool end
i know how stressful it can be with a non feeder..my hatchling aura has gone 7weeks without feeding and thats from when she was first hatched so shes never eaten..i know how stressful it is but if its the temps in the viv then that can easily be resolved
Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 03:44:40
One suggestion - start weighing your corn on a regular basis, that way you can monitor whether it is maintaining its weight or loosing. xxx
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 00:51:35
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

and the temp on the stat doesn't tell you what it's like at both ends of the viv.

It also doesn't tell you just how inaccurate the dials can be, before i went to get my corn snakes i set up their viv to make sure everything was fine. Just to see how accurate the dial was i set it to exactly the temp i wanted, the digital thermometer showed that it was out by a rather unsafe margin.

So i would agree with Hawkeye, definitely get a digital thermometer as it may well be the cause of the feeding issues.

I also agree with Hannah, 4 days is too often to be feeding a corn snake. I would of thought that the snake would be ready for small mice and to be fed every 7 days.
n/a Posted - 18/10/2009 : 21:55:49
quote:

ok thanks, great tips! not as worried now knowing that another young snake has been refusing food and for alot longer! she is showing no signs of illness and ive seen her drinking today, shes still very active and seems quite happy! the heat mat thermostat is set at 28degC and her viv is only half on it, shud maybe get a thermometer!!

Good to hear you're feeling better.

Absolutely get a thermometer!
In fact, get two digi thermometers: one for the cool end, one for the warm end. Temp issues can stop a snake from eating, and the temp on the stat doesn't tell you what it's like at both ends of the viv. Also, does she have a hide in each end? What substrate are you using? Any chance for a picture of the set up?

animal_crazy_lady Posted - 18/10/2009 : 21:23:57
ok thanks, great tips! not as worried now knowing that another young snake has been refusing food and for alot longer! she is showing no signs of illness and ive seen her drinking today, shes still very active and seems quite happy! the heat mat thermostat is set at 28degC and her viv is only half on it, shud maybe get a thermometer!!
HannahB Posted - 18/10/2009 : 20:38:22
feeding every 4 days is slightly too much..should be around every 6 days and ideally a snake at that age should be on fuzzies or the next one up from that i think,
has she been pooping/drinking properly recently?
n/a Posted - 18/10/2009 : 20:36:34

Ok. I too am also dealing with a non eater who's just coming out of an 8.5 weeks hunger strike. He's only 4.5 months old and is doing nicely . I'm telling you this to demonstrate that fasting for 15 days in itself doesn't put your snake in any danger, but of course you worry!

Now for solutions. First, read this:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

Then, please tell us a bit about your set up, including what the temps are at both ends and everything else about it, this will help the experienced snake keepers here give you the best advice.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000