The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Twi Posted - 15/10/2009 : 22:18:55
Just over two months ago I bought a 4ft corn snake. She's a friendly and lively snake. The person I got her of told me she was eating 2 large mice a week, sometimes even eating his baby corn snakes pinkies if they didnt eat them on top of that. She had been fed two days before I bought her so I brought her home put her in her viv and eventually after a week tried her with a large mice. She wouldnt take it. I wasn't too worried because another friend of mine who keeps snakes say they go off their food for couple of weeks due to the shock of being moved into a new enviroment?
now the person i got it off used to feed her two large frozen mice every week he'd put them in warm water till they defrosted and heated up then feed to the snake. The problem I have now is, we're coming up to three months of no feeding, I've tried to go through the same as he did with her food and she wont take it, just incase i've tried leaving a mouse out to defrost then heating it up a little. I've tried looking it up online for tips, followed those tips. Nothing seems to work. She hasn't started loosing weight yet and she's pretty active. vivs at right temperatures. so I'm at a loss to get her feedign again. I've been told live feed isn't allowed over her and its a bit dangerous for the snake in enlosed areas as they can get hurt. I'm not sure where to go from here? could it be that she has just been fed too much? it was suggested by a friend that might be why. Any advice would be great. I'm not sure where to go from here!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 26/10/2009 : 10:48:49
congrats on the baby
and well done on ginger feeding good news all round!
Twi Posted - 26/10/2009 : 10:13:47
Yup checked everywhere. Deffinatly no mouse in there.

I've found sicking on half a lemon slice every so often takes away the nausea for a bit.
Kellog Posted - 26/10/2009 : 05:18:29
That is such a relief Twi, so glad she has eaten mouse! Not being funny but have you checked substrate? When Kellog was fasting he would sometimes squash the mouse so flat it would disappear into the substrate, so you would look into viv...think 'at last' with a sigh of relief...and then see fur in the substrate! Am sure she has eaten it though, which is great news!

Good luck with the morning sickness, hope you are taking it easy. Ginger biscuits help!

xxx
Twi Posted - 25/10/2009 : 22:40:39
I don't think it would be the UV light thats stopping her eating because shes always had one. If I took it out she would pretty much get next to no light at all throughout the day.
Anyway good news is the mouse is gone. yay!
hillzi Posted - 25/10/2009 : 17:42:32
I would remove that UV light. Corn Snakes do not need it any kind of lighting. Plus I heard somewhere they annoy snakes.

Well done with getting her to feed ;)
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/10/2009 : 16:52:53
congratulations on the baby!
she may just have got bored, but you are doing the right thing in leaving it in there.
Twi Posted - 25/10/2009 : 13:15:11
Hey sorry it's taken so long to reply, I've been sick in bed with morning sickness lol
anyway, she did take the mouse, she wrapped around it, squeezed it for about 30 seconds then let it go and went looking around the viv some more. So I've left the mouse in there where she left it to see if she will eat it.
HannahB Posted - 21/10/2009 : 10:58:11
hope it helped
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 09:56:17
How did it go?
Twi Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:06:54
Off to get some more mice tomorrow i'll try her when I get home, I think seem as we're going down the road i will get the one i have left out tonight and take her for a drive down to shop while I get more and see if that helps and try some of the other tips if it doesnt.
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/10/2009 : 17:43:58
had any luck with Ginger yet?
Twi Posted - 16/10/2009 : 21:06:31
its a uv reptile light
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/10/2009 : 17:43:28
so the light is a heatlamp? if so, get rid of it, 2 sources of heat isnt needed nor appreciated! it could be that the air temp is too high. What are the temps in the cold end too?
Twi Posted - 16/10/2009 : 14:19:22
Thats the heatpad and light.
She finsihed shedding just before i bought her but i wasnt given any records.
HannahB Posted - 16/10/2009 : 12:42:56
quote:
Originally posted by Twi

The temp varies between 26 and 30C the end where the heat pad is.

is that just the heat mat or both the mat and the light? if thats just the mat then it might be that the light is giving off a lot of heat too and its generally too hot in there for her..

do you have all her feeding/shedding records? 2 large mice a week is far too much too for a snake that size to be eating..should be around every 10-12 days for that size could it be that shes a fussy feeder but you havent been told?
Twi Posted - 16/10/2009 : 12:24:57
The temp varies between 26 and 30C the end where the heat pad is.

As for the light i was told the UV in it help to produce calcium? By the guy i got her off. I dunno mostly i use it so that she has a night and day and its what shes used to. We're not in the room all the time and there isnt a lot of light in here.
n/a Posted - 16/10/2009 : 11:49:16
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

it says above she has a box hide in each end

Thanks, SB, I went back and saw it.

SexyBear77 Posted - 16/10/2009 : 11:45:42
it says above she has a box hide in each end
n/a Posted - 16/10/2009 : 11:42:27

Does she have ONE hide or TWO hides? She needs a hide in the cool end AND a hide in the warm end.

Put the folliage in, the potential benefit outweighs the "do not distub" she's way past the settling in period so it should be totally ok.

Same question as SB: what are the actual temps, please?

SexyBear77 Posted - 16/10/2009 : 11:21:56
Never heard that about a light before- corns deffo dont need em! who told you it?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000