The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Feeding Problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/10/2009 : 21:00:59
I am having problems with my snake Reggie not feeding. In an earlier post HannahB gave me some advice about trying Reggie on two fuzzies because one didn't seem to be enough. I tried to feed Reggie on the 5th Oct and again tonight but he has refused both times to eat. I tried him tonight with a rat pup to try something different. He has been in his new viv for about a month and has fed since then, I have kept a close eye on the temps and the warm end is between 26 to 30C, coolend 20c. I am using a habistat stat and heatmat plus digital thermometers. He has plenty of places to hide. He seems to be very active at the moment spending lots of time roaming around his viv and comes out as soon as I open the door but just wont eat. Am I doing anything wrong, any advice would be appreciated?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/10/2009 : 14:31:28
like Hannah said, feeding in the viv is usually fine as long as you place the mouse on something to stop accidental ingestion of substrate.
HannahB Posted - 13/10/2009 : 13:05:21
it could be that hes due a shed then if his last one was in august..
if you leave one in his viv put it on a plate or put some kitchen towel down so that if he does decide to eat he cant get substrate stuck on it
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 11:45:26
Thanks for the advice, he is drinking ok I have seen him. Kellog, when you say leave the fuzzie in overnight do you mean in his Viv, I never feed him in there but I am willing to try if he feeds. The last time he shed was 26 Aug so that could be the problem I suppose. I have tried braining the fuzzie and always warm them up but he just goes mad trying to get out of the box. I'm sure you are all used to this happening but its nice to be able to get a bit of reassurance from people with a lot more experience. Will stick to the routine and hope it works, thanks guys!
HannahB Posted - 13/10/2009 : 07:16:42
heres a few suggestions that could help you out..might cost ya a few fuzzies or pinkies but its worth a try..
heating with a hairdryer - in particular the head after it has been brained,
splitting a side,
putting Reggie in a small tub with fuzzie/pinkie,
scenting with a chick or any small rodenty thing,
a lady who is great at getting non feeders re feeding suggested putting a small bit of marmite on a pinkie/fuzzie..someone she knows swears by it apparently..
putting a small bit of tuna brine on the pinkie/fuzzie

he's not due a shed is he? some dont eat during their shedding time so they can go for 2weeks willingly without feeding..

hope he feeds soon
Kellog Posted - 13/10/2009 : 03:02:47
Dont change your feeding routine. Go back to one fuzzie and try him again when he is next due a feed. Try not to panic, its early days yet - just patience. If he doesnt take fuzzie leave it in overnight. Try warming up fuzzie to increase smell, or braining it. Lots of advice on forum about non-feeders - think there is actually a sticky on it. Did he poo ok after last feed? Is he drinking? Sounds like he is behaving normally, so nothing to worry about yet. Hope he feeds next time. xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000