The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Feeding question, advice appreciated.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 10/10/2009 : 20:55:48
Hi all! Cinco is nearly 4 months old (hatched on 22/06) and when I fed him on the 26th of September he was up and active within a matter of hours from ingestion of the pinkie and his 'bump' didn't look very big at all. I thought I'd offer him two pinkies on the next feed so five days later that's what I did. He scoffed them both, back to back, and took plenty of time to digest them.

I wasn't sure whether to wait usual five days or leave him longer before feeding again 'cos of eating double; so I left him till today (9 days) and fed him two again. He's gobbled them up happily and now I'm in a quandry...

Did I do right in giving him two or am I now over-feeding him?
If it's ok to give him two (he's loving it, btw!) then how long do I keep feeding him two pinkies before I move him up to big boy food (aka fluffies)?
How long do I leave between double pinkie feeds; was 9 days too long, too short or a-ok?

Would also just like to say that I wouldn't have offered him two if I wasn't pretty sure he wanted an extra one and he certainly didn't need any encouragement, he just wolfed it down!!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/10/2009 : 03:12:02
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

when there no bump after feeding him 2 you could move up to fuzzys,but if you think he's still not big enough for them give him a few more feeds of 3 fuzzys then move up.

Did you mean a few more feeds of 3 pinkies???
LittleMick Posted - 11/10/2009 : 02:16:23
Something else I didn't know, lol. As a pre owner doing research, I was going by a guide of the prey being no wider than the widest part of the snake, generally the head.
But after reading this post, this method seems a good way of introducing prey the next size up by increasing the smaller prey in 2's and altering the feeding sequence.
Using this method, when you think the snake is ready to upgrade from pinkies to fuzzies you could just give 2 pinkies to see how fast they get eaten?
lee2308 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 00:38:05
when there no bump after feeding him 2 you could move up to fuzzys,but if you think he's still not big enough for them give him a few more feeds of 3 fuzzys then move up.
n/a Posted - 11/10/2009 : 00:04:02
Thanks loads GP. I really appreciate the advice. I was so pleased he was eating well that, at first, I didn't think about whether it was good for him. When I did give it some thought I was stressing that I was harming him without meaning to!!

Glad I'm not too far off the mark and that I'm now working to a plan.

I tell you what, this snake malarky is a bit bloody harder than it first appeared!
gingerpony Posted - 10/10/2009 : 20:59:53
don't worry it sounds like you did right offering 2 pinkies

initially i'd leave him 7 days till his next feed, then next time if he has 2 pinkies go 6 days then next time get back to your 5 day feeding schedule. it's a good way of helping their digestive system get used to bigger meals before moving up to fuzzies

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000