The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Just asking just to make sure...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Scarlett Posted - 21/09/2009 : 22:36:27
Ember's gotten really inactive the past couple of days, and although she had a feed on the 19th she's still hidden away all day. I thought she looked a lil pale but her colour seemed to come back to her as I sorted her out to be fed, she fed and then after a little mooch around her fauna she hid again. It's coming up to her "time of the month" AKA shed week, and she seems on par with her last shed which was the 28th of August.

I just wanted to make sure her inactivity is due to her impending shed, as it'll be her first shed since I've owned her =)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
devilsmistress Posted - 28/09/2009 : 18:17:10
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

Hannah - I was thinking it could be a bit cool for her, but when I fed her last she'd been sat on that side and felt warm to the touch, but I would like to up it a bit I'm just not too sure how. I've got a heat mat without a thermostat, as I check the temp every day for fluctuations. I'm thinking that next time I clean her fauna out I'll just use a little less substrate, that should help.

id get a heatmat if i were you.. you can set it to the ideal temp for corns and not have to worry about it all the time - get some digital thermometers so you can keep an eye on the hot/cool ends.. a thermostat will turn off automatically if it gets too hot and will turn on when it gets too cool,
without a heatmat it could potentially get far too hot and end up causing some damage to both the viv and your snake - someone on here had a section of the bottom of their faun melt because the heatmat was too hot...

Do you mean thermostat HannahB?
n/a Posted - 28/09/2009 : 17:17:43
quote:
Originally posted by tiggeroo

Well she did shed, last night and she fed at last today :o)

Hurrah! Well done! Its such a relief when things are going right!
HannahB Posted - 27/09/2009 : 15:10:42
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

Hannah - I was thinking it could be a bit cool for her, but when I fed her last she'd been sat on that side and felt warm to the touch, but I would like to up it a bit I'm just not too sure how. I've got a heat mat without a thermostat, as I check the temp every day for fluctuations. I'm thinking that next time I clean her fauna out I'll just use a little less substrate, that should help.

id get a heatmat if i were you.. you can set it to the ideal temp for corns and not have to worry about it all the time - get some digital thermometers so you can keep an eye on the hot/cool ends.. a thermostat will turn off automatically if it gets too hot and will turn on when it gets too cool,
without a heatmat it could potentially get far too hot and end up causing some damage to both the viv and your snake - someone on here had a section of the bottom of their faun melt because the heatmat was too hot...
n/a Posted - 27/09/2009 : 12:53:53
Well she did shed, last night and she fed at last today :o)
n/a Posted - 25/09/2009 : 22:20:14
quote:
Originally posted by abbiegreenleaf

quote:

Jessie has been inactive past few days, isn't in blue but is dull in colour and hasn't eaten her pinkie yet today

Bubbles just used to get cloudy pink eyes and go very pale/dull in colour.

Oooooooooooo thanks Abbie, her eyes did go cloudy :o)
n/a Posted - 25/09/2009 : 21:44:31
quote:

Jessie has been inactive past few days, isn't in blue but is dull in colour and hasn't eaten her pinkie yet today

Sounds like she's coming into shed to me - everyone talks about their snakes going "blue" which refers to their eyes getting a blue hue but Amels don't go blue - they go lighter pink as they don't have any black pigment.

Bubbles just used to get cloudy pink eyes and go very pale/dull in colour.
Scarlett Posted - 24/09/2009 : 20:26:55
Kellog - Of course =) I normally just put my hand in her fauna and leave it there so she gets my scent without me touching her, after a while she generally just goes on to my hand like it's a part of her setup lol.

Tiggeroo - Hey no problems, we're all in the same boat lol. I'm no professional (obviously I had to ask about Ember) but it sounds like it to me, I looked up signs of shedding and lack of activity, lack of appetite and dull colouring are part of it. I may be wrong though, so don't hold me to it lol.
n/a Posted - 24/09/2009 : 10:17:49
Sorry to ask this on your thread Scarlett but its on the same lines......................Jessie has been inactive past few days, isn't in blue but is dull in colour and hasn't eaten her pinkie yet today...........I have left it in there for her on a bit of kitchen paper, its like she wants to eat it and changes her mind, she will sniff it all over, nudge it then go back and curl up again............I'm gonna leave the pinkie in all day and over night and if it hasn't gone by morning remove it, but I am worried (as she is new to me)she has eaten past 2 times I fed her, no problems.

So just wondering is it because shes due to shed?? Is she goin to shed from the description I gave?
HannahB Posted - 24/09/2009 : 07:05:21
congrats on the clean shed..
is your warm end usually at 24' all the time? might be an idea just to jump it up slightly as that might be a bit cool for her
good pics aswell
Kellog Posted - 24/09/2009 : 02:54:15
Just remember to be patient - only for a few minutes at a time and slowly build up. Am sure she will soon get used to you again. xxx
Scarlett Posted - 23/09/2009 : 22:57:14
She's just been so spot on with everything, I hope it continues =)

I've just got to get her used to being handled again lol.

x
Kellog Posted - 23/09/2009 : 22:51:25
That must have been such a fantastic experience, especially as it was her first shed! Clever girl, shedding in sight and doing a clean shed! xxx
Scarlett Posted - 23/09/2009 : 21:07:15
Okay so Ember's just finished shedding! Annnnd I got to watch it. I got a few photo's, and everything just went perfect. I ended up not even misting her fauna like I thought I would have to. I'm such a proud mamma!

Head and eyecaps.

Belly.

Tail.
Kellog Posted - 23/09/2009 : 03:54:00
Once Kellog goes 'blue' and I can be sure he is in shed I just mist a couple of times first thing in the morning, making sure not to aim directly at Kellog (1st time OH 'checked' spray bottle was ok, gave it to me, I aimed it in viv - unfortunately in Kellog's direction - and got a straight stream of water! Poor snake, he disappeared very quickly into his hide! Needless to say, I had 'words' with my OH!!) xxx
gingerpony Posted - 22/09/2009 : 22:07:58
for my corns i don't usually do anything different and they all usually shed fine, the one exception is my 17 year old OAP corn who needs a damp hide......... otherwise he just gets a half inch wide strip off his back from his head to about half way down!
Scarlett Posted - 22/09/2009 : 21:46:08
My mum suggested the spray of water actually, when exactly should I up the humidity? She's been inactive past couple of days but isn't in her blue phase yet.
n/a Posted - 22/09/2009 : 20:09:45
some people use a damp moss hide but i just give my guys a little misting with a spray gun and that seems to do them ok.
Scarlett Posted - 22/09/2009 : 18:37:26
I don't mind not seeing it, even though it would be lovely to, I just want it to be a clean shed. I'm hoping it will be a\
N /M. <- That was from my cat, she decided she'd warm my keyboard up for me, well I say my cat... She's my new neighbours cat, but they let her out too early and she came straight over to my house and now she won't leave. My other cat isn't impressed with her at all lol.

Anyway as I was saying, I'm hoping it will be alright as she seems like the perfect snake so far; a very strong feeder, doesn't mind being handled etc. I'm wondering how I can make her fauna more humid though, using my heatmat which warms the warm end up to about about 24oC at the moment. Would making her substrate damp help?

x
n/a Posted - 22/09/2009 : 04:56:21
I have never managed to see any of my guys shedding, although I saw rizzies tail piece come off but I dont think that counts. In the plus side 3 of mine have all given me good sheds that I have kept. Good luck tho I hope you manage to see something.
Kellog Posted - 22/09/2009 : 04:23:00
Dont get too excited Scarlett. Firstly, seems like a lot of snakes shed when the owner is not looking - just to frustrate us of course! And secondly, you cant be sure of it being a 'clean shed', in other words coming off in one piece. Kellog has shed with us 5 times I think, and we have had 2 clean sheds, although both had rips in. When she does shed make sure you take it out carefully and check it to make sure the eye covers (forget proper name) and tail end are there. Hope you do get to witness it - it is amazing! xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000