The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Is my snake to small? Please help.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/09/2009 : 09:31:35
Hi everyone, RIO shed last night Yay!!! i measured his skin and he's 17inch's. He is 11months old and from the things i've been reading he seems a bit small, i feed him on two large pinkies every seven days but he only normally eats one.

please help me
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mnementh Posted - 24/09/2009 : 12:24:34
He does seem a little small , if you measured the skin , don't forget it tends to stretch up to around 30% so he may be smaller , my Anery is aroud 28" and she is 14 month , but all snakes have varying degrees of size , she is quite a bit larger than her clutch mate . They were both feeding on small mice by a year old .

My normal is around 22" and still on fuzzies , he is just over a year old , but he is quite small due to a bad start , he was a non feeder for around 6 months after hatching . He was syringe fed with pinky mush now he never misses a feed so he will start to catch up .

I would do has others suggest , feed every 5 days . How do you offer the pinkies , both together or after one has gone down . You could even try what I like to call the naughty box , if one does'nt feed , usually my big lad Ramesses , only because he prefers to see whats going on when he comes out rather than eating . I put him in a 5 litre rub which is very small for him , along with his large mouse , put the lid on and back to his viv , everytime within the hour he has eaten without fail .

You could try feeding the first and if he does'nt take the second try that , just give him some peace when you do , don't go back and just leave for a while :)
gingerpony Posted - 22/09/2009 : 21:55:08
all mine were on small mice at about a year old, but you have to work up to that size gradually.

i wouldn't recommend feeding every 3 days because the snake would be constantly digesting food which they're not adapted for and you'd never get to handle him either, every 5 days would be better
Chimp276 Posted - 20/09/2009 : 21:57:21
My corn Aero is bout 7 months id say and measures in at 23 inches and is 59 grams
Bilbo Posted - 20/09/2009 : 21:02:41
thanks i will try that on the next feed. very happy to have him back so was the kids they was over the moon. still thinking about getting the other one dont know if my wife is to happy about it lol i mite see how we go with bilbo for a bit then get one and say its for the kids lol need to sort out a place for it first if i do get a 2nd one.
HannahB Posted - 20/09/2009 : 20:46:15
if you have some bigger ones maybe try him with a bigger one and see how that goes down.. i used to give mont small pinkies and then got the shop to pick out some bigger ones for me and tried him with them before i gave him one big and one little one

only just realised that you obviously found the little escapee.. im so slow lol congrats for finding him - you must be so pleased to have him back!!
Bilbo Posted - 20/09/2009 : 20:27:25
i think its small i will try him with 2 on the next feed and see how he gets on i have some bigger pinkies but i dont want to put him off by offering he to big a feed. i am happy he is not two small and he looks happy back in hes viv after hes holiday lol.
HannahB Posted - 20/09/2009 : 20:21:26
just for comparason my little mont is 3months old and hes 18inches and weighs in at 21g...

how long have you had him? try him on one large pinkie every 4/5days instead of 3 - that way he gets some excersise when you handle him..

Bilbo - does one pinkie leave a big bulge or a little one? if its a little one try him on two every other feed and see how it goes
Bilbo Posted - 20/09/2009 : 19:43:16
bilbo must be big then he is 19" long and weighs in at 22g do you think i should try him with 2 pinkies now?? sorry about the highjack...
n/a Posted - 20/09/2009 : 19:07:35
thanks i will try that, he weighs about 20g. I am trying to attach a pic but I'm not sure its gonna work because i am using snapfish instead of photobucket.

*edited by Kehhlyr to show pic*
Stumpy Posted - 20/09/2009 : 18:31:34
Try feeding him once every three days, with one large pinkie each time.
He should be eating every five days, How much does he weigh?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000