The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 corn snake shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/09/2009 : 15:08:46
Hi i have a 1 year old corn snake called RIO and it is the first time he has shed since i bought him, some people say it is alright to handle your corn snake while shedding some say not to.
Could anyone give me some advice.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 20/09/2009 : 10:14:09
thanks everyone RIO shed last night ad every thing is fine.
gingerpony Posted - 18/09/2009 : 13:21:12
the whole process of shedding, from their eyes initially going blue until they actually slough off their old skin, their vision is impaired. this can make them more jumpy, nervous or unpredictable so it's best to avoid handling thoughout the entire shedding process where possible
Kellog Posted - 18/09/2009 : 03:37:52
Agree with Remmy, think the snakes must feel very vulnerable in shed - from the period they are blue to the time they shed. I personally dont handle Kellog from when he turns blue til after shed. I also dont feed him in that time...if you have ever eaten a 5 course meal wearing your tightest jeans then you will know why I dont! xxx
Remmy Posted - 17/09/2009 : 17:02:32
All snakes are different, i handle mine while shedding but not when they are blue. As Hannah said, whilst blue they have greatly reduced vision and become defensive and handling can stress them out.
HannahB Posted - 17/09/2009 : 15:20:01
hey and welcome

when you say 'handle while shedding' im assuming you mean while hes blue..while they are blue their skin that they are about to shed separates from the body and a thin film covers the eyes which reduces their vision.. i personally handle my bigger snake mont as hes not too fussed about it but some snakes become moody and defensive because of their reduced vision and dont like being handled.. i think it depends on your snake tbh

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000