The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Assist Feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nuttyasha Posted - 15/09/2009 : 08:18:33
Just wondering how long is the average time of assist feeding?

As Marlene has been back in the shop that we purchased her from for about a month now as she didn't eat for about 12 weeks and we were a bit worried about her having not experienced any of our other snakes not feeding. She's only 3 months old. I really want her home, but everytime i ring or visit the shop they are telling me that she is still be assist fed and that it's best to leave her with them. Is this right?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 09/10/2009 : 11:43:00
IF you dont think the shop are doing a good job get him out of there and try some of these..

there is a lady called Julia down in Yeovil who apparently is an expert with non feeders, the breeder i got aura from has recommended i email her about aura as she can usually suggest things that work, her email is tropicalwaters [at] btinternet.com

Sue (the breeder) also suggested putting marmite on a pinkie (someone she knows wears by this..) or putting egg yolk on it..

I'm going to bathe aura in water with repto boost before i try and feed her again - i didnt realise how much weight she has suddenly lost so im desperate for her to get some decent food in her system..
n/a Posted - 09/10/2009 : 10:37:41
quote:
Originally posted by Nuttyasha

Just thought i would update you all on the marlene front, she is still in the shop (much to my disappointment, and isn't showing any signs of wanting to feed on her own. I go in and see her every weekend now. She doesn't seem to be making any progress at all and is tiny, hasn't grown at all. I hope things start looking up for her soon.

That doesn't sound right.

Any way you could take her home and look after her yourself? I too have a non-eater and have been assist-feeding at home. The shop showed me what to do, I felt it was simple enough as it didn't require the application of force or tools and now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he'll start eating normally.

Two other things to do at home which I'm not sure the shop are doing (worth asking them) :

1. Adding ReptoBoost to his drinking water (GP, thanks a million, again and again!)

2. Not tried yet, but an experienced breeder told me to bath him in water that has ReptoBoost in it. Ten mintues.

I'm just thinking that the shop cannot give her the same attention you can possibly give her at home, and seeing she's not making any progress nor gaining any weight, I wouldn't leave her with them.

Keeping my fingers crossed for her, please let us know!

Nuttyasha Posted - 09/10/2009 : 08:14:01
Just thought i would update you all on the marlene front, she is still in the shop (much to my disappointment, and isn't showing any signs of wanting to feed on her own. I go in and see her every weekend now. She doesn't seem to be making any progress at all and is tiny, hasn't grown at all. I hope things start looking up for her soon.
gingerpony Posted - 16/09/2009 : 21:58:47
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Am interested - How do the people in the shop know when she is ready to feed normally? Do they offer her a pinkie before they assist feed her? xxx

basically yes......
Nuttyasha Posted - 16/09/2009 : 07:51:24
I asked them this and they told me they have tried offering her a pinkie but she doesn't seem interested in it, so they are still assist feeding until the time comes that she will take it by herself. I suppose it's just something that's going to take time xx
Kellog Posted - 15/09/2009 : 23:14:00
Am interested - How do the people in the shop know when she is ready to feed normally? Do they offer her a pinkie before they assist feed her? xxx
Nuttyasha Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:41:26
i don't want to bring her home until she's ready as i don't want to unbalance her until i absolutley have to. It's going to take some getting used to when she comes home again as she is being kept in a cricket tub whilst at the shop. I just wanted a bit more info as the shop is really good in all other aspects other than explaining what seems to be happening with Marlene. Thanks for the replys guys :)

gingerpony Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:33:53
i agree with SB, assist of force feeding is quite stressful but hopefully the snake will realise when it's hungry and what to do with a pinkie........ it just takes time
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 11:17:37
assist feeding will continue until such a time as the snake is feeding well on its own, and is well enough to return home. you dont really want it back unless you are willing to continue the assist feeding yourself. If you are concerned you could perhaps arrange to go in and watch them feeding her to check you are happy with everything. After all, it is your snake!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000