The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 What is this?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 12:17:27
When I found one of the hatchlings today I noticed it had something attatched to its vent. I initially thought it was an umbilical cord - do they have these - but at closer insoection it looks like a bladder and part of the bowel. On its back it has two indented lines which are bright pink - looks as if someone has taken a scalpel down its back. Pictures are bad but you can just see one of the lines near the stomach. It really is very bright pink though.

I really appreciate all the advice I get on here and I just wish I wasn't such a novice and could offer some myself!

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 15:11:51
i really feel for you and im sure all our thoughts are with you xx
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 14:01:37
Ooh Kehyler, that is not good! Thankfully my snake came out the egg that way so no feelings of guilt! Thanks guys for your kind words. I left him with the VET so he is now in snake heaven. To be honest I'm quite pragmatic about these things - I really enjoy my snakes but I don't "love" them in the way you would love a dog. They get treated like Royalty, are well fed and exercised and have massive clean vivs but I would not spend £500 operating on a reptile - oral treatments, yes.
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/09/2009 : 23:41:24
http://www.cornsnakesource.com/forum/henderson-herpetoculture/8348-crush-injured-corn-snake-any-hope.html

Have a looky at that as well, injury is different, but similar in looks to yours.
Kellog Posted - 15/09/2009 : 23:10:25
Tipsy, that is really bad news but I am sure you know what is best to do for the sake of the snake - if the chances of it surviving an operation and then having a doubtful quality of life and life expectancy, then surely there is only one thing to do. I guess there is no way to know if it is in pain the way it is now, but surely it must be. So sorry Tipsy. xxx
n/a Posted - 15/09/2009 : 22:23:17
Very sorry to hear this news
gingerpony Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:38:13
so sorry Tipsy, it does look like a rather severe prolapse........ is that what the vet confirmed or did he just advise you re not treating it?
hiper2009 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 17:01:08
Oh my gosh poor lil baby i feel so bad i would opp on it i dont care about money when it comes down to family !!!!!! Has the sexy baby been put to sleep ??
matty18714 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 16:05:06
I wouldnt of said it was "worth" (couldnt phrase that a better way) operating either.

Just out of intrest, has the snake eaten?
lee2308 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 15:00:18
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

was it put to sleep then? that would have been my course of action. sorry for the loss Tipsy.

im just assuming that was the course that had been taken,but that is the only real option
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 14:47:06
was it put to sleep then? that would have been my course of action. sorry for the loss Tipsy.
lee2308 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 13:58:18
That is one of the worst prolapses i have seen,you have to be sensible about this,i know its hard but theres no way i would pull out £300-500 for a hatchling for it to only die anyway,soory for your loss but it was the only viable desicion.
n/a Posted - 15/09/2009 : 13:40:39
The vet won't treat it. He said that it will cost an absolute fortune and it has a 95% chance of dying if he operates given it's size and age. I asked if this would have been the case with an adult snake but he said he would have treated an adult snake so he wasn't fobbing me off but thinking of the best interests of the snake and my purse!
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 11:18:55
oh that doesnt look good. sorry Tipsy. hope you can make a good decision with the little one.
Kellog Posted - 14/09/2009 : 22:51:51
So sorry Tipsy, it certainly looks and sounds bad. It is definitely something that needs checking out as soon as possible by a vet who knows snakes. Keep us informed. xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 14:40:12
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Thats an immediate trip to the vets, its a prolapse of some sort :(

An expensive vet bill too , hope it gets well
eeji Posted - 14/09/2009 : 13:46:14
Thats an immediate trip to the vets, its a prolapse of some sort :(
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 12:57:39
Meant to add that its belly is that wide as the top picture - as are all of the snakes - it is not the camera angle!
HannahB Posted - 14/09/2009 : 12:45:48
oh no..poor little snakey
i have no idea although it might be bladder and bowel like you suggested.. hopefully someone else will be able to help you out more than i can

theres nothing wrong with being a novice - we all started out that way

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000