The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Is she poorly?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:09:50
We have a female cornsnake who is at least 10 yrs old (she was bought as a sub adult).
She has recently (last few months) been producing very very smelly poos and many of them. She seems a little underweight but is a very finicky eater and this is not unusual for her.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms with their corn snake?

She eats mostly chicks and has produced eggs the last 3 years but without any luck in hatching.

Our other five cornsnakes are in excellent health and quite content.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 11:15:16
yeah, changing to mice will be a start but you ought to separate them aswell, at least until she is feeling better.
Kellog Posted - 15/09/2009 : 10:44:04
Have you seperated them yet so she is in her own viv? She really needs to be on only mice...not mostly mice. I hope she takes them if she is hungry enough. xxx
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 23:07:43
thanks for all ur answers. i was aware that chicks are not good for a staple food and our other snakes eat mice but she was so fussy it was the only thing she'd eat. however if it is the chicks that are causing her to be poorly then im certainly going to making sure she has mostly mice from now on.

xxx
eeji Posted - 14/09/2009 : 18:43:45
it may be down to the diet, or it could be an internal parasite problem so maybe phone your vets and ask about having a fecal examination done?
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 10:35:30
I agree with Kellog and the others, definitely split them up and change her (if poss!) to mice instead of chicks. it may be worth a trip down the vets to check for any internal probs too. hope she feels better soon!
Kellog Posted - 14/09/2009 : 04:45:49
It may be worthwhile seperating her for a while if she is not feeling great, in case the male starts to dominate her if he senses she is vulnerable. I would definitely change her diet - I was warned off chicks as a staple food, they are only to be used if you have a non-feeder and you have tried everything you can with mice. Do you feed all your snakes on chicks? xxx
Brookestar Posted - 13/09/2009 : 23:11:04
chicks dont contain a lot of goodness mainly skin and bone
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:23:47
she is with a male and theyve been together for many years. I did suspect that diet may be the problem thanks
gingerpony Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:16:13
is she in her own enclosure?

TBH a long-term diet of chicks is likely to be the root of the problem..........

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000