The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Any hope?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 03/08/2009 : 13:08:23
My corn snake is 12 years old and hasn't eaten since end April. He did get himself wedged in his water bowl at the end of April, I cut him free and the vet could see nothing wrong. A few weeks later I took him back and saw another vet who recommended a bloodtest, found he had an infection and he had antibiotics (personally think this should have been done in April). A few weeks ago he had an ultrasound as vet found a lump that is by his liver, they don't know what it is.
He still isn't interested in food, and I have to put his head near waterbowl to get him to drink, he is drinking most days.
He doesn't appear to be in any pain. Do I try some of the feeding techniques I have read here? Or is it time to give up hoping?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 28/08/2009 : 05:53:05
Bezzie, that is such horrible news. I am so sorry you have lost him. You really did everything you could for him and it is obvious how much you loved him. It sounds like it was his time to die and at least you got those few extra moments with him being more like his old self to remember him by. You must grieve for him and dont let anyone tell you that he was 'just a snake'!!! He was your family and you loved him - he will always be in your heart and in your memories. xxx
inkiepixie Posted - 25/08/2009 : 23:04:28
Oh I'm so sorry. Losing a family member is too hard :(

Sending you my love too xxx
gingerpony Posted - 25/08/2009 : 21:29:22
Bezzie, i'm so sorry hun, i'm so sorry i couldn't do more *hugs*
n/a Posted - 25/08/2009 : 20:44:11
So sorry to read this. Sending you a hug.
n/a Posted - 25/08/2009 : 19:18:16
Oh Bezzie - really really sorry to hear such sad news. We are missing Bubbles terribly and he's only been our pet for a year so I can't imagine how sad you must feel after spending so much time with Bezzie.

**Hugs**
n/a Posted - 25/08/2009 : 17:51:19
Im very sorry that you have lost a dear snakey Freind,
But think, you gave him a fighting chance you loved him you cared for him and he loved you to in return.
R.I.P
Madgirl x.
devilsmistress Posted - 25/08/2009 : 16:01:42
Oh Im so sorry to hear that, Like the others have said, you did everything you could for him. He is in the big happy viv in the sky now x
lee2308 Posted - 25/08/2009 : 15:32:16
Sorry to hear that,it's hard to lose a pet that you have had for so long.
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/08/2009 : 15:31:32
oh bezzie, I'm so so sorry to hear that. I really hoped he would get better. well done you for trying to hard to get him better. at least you know his last few weeks were spent happier and more comfortable. rip.
Chimp276 Posted - 25/08/2009 : 14:34:41
I am so sorry to hear about ur loss! I wud hate this to happen to me! You did everything you could for him, so it is no fault of ur own! Somethings are supposed to happen!

If he was in pain and distress mayb he is better of now!

n/a Posted - 25/08/2009 : 13:42:36
Bezzie died this morning; I think he had a heart attack as he was OK at 8.30 but dead by 9.45 and his mouth was slightly open.
He had been drinking his critical care formula for the last week and been much more active, coming out and curling round my waist etc.
Was given him 12 years ago this month, guess it's a miracle he survived this long as I'd never owned a snake before!!
Anyway he was a lovely gentle soul and will be sorely missed.
Thank you all for your advice and support over the last few weeks - just wish I'd found the site years ago.
Kellog Posted - 15/08/2009 : 21:49:36
Some of these shops should be shut down and reported and charged.....sorry, don't get me or any other members of the forum started. Well done for trying the critical care and it is good news that he has drunk some. Now I guess it is wait and see....xxx
n/a Posted - 15/08/2009 : 21:00:42
Got some critical care, put it in his water and he has drunk it. I know it wasn't as much as he needs but it's a start!!
Hate the shop I got it from, saw one of the assistants prodding a terrified youngster with a plastic lid, it had lost a tooth previously from biting another one.
Kellog Posted - 13/08/2009 : 23:08:44
It is good news he is drinking and that he is still ok being handled - maybe there is some hope..... xxx
n/a Posted - 13/08/2009 : 14:04:00
Yes he is drinking again. All I do is show him the water bowl and when he touches the water with his tongue he drinks.
I don't want to put him through unneccessary trauma but I also don't want to give up too soon. I assume I am right that 12 is about middle aged so he should have a good few more years in him.
He is gentle when being handled, if he is near the door he seems interested in getting out to explore, but he does spend most of his time resting. He has always appeared timid when it comes to his food, ie moving it sends him running in the opposite direction
n/a Posted - 13/08/2009 : 13:59:23
i also think if he is drinking then to wait...

gingerpony Posted - 13/08/2009 : 13:07:57
to put the other side across.........

my middle Dumerils boa fed 4 times in the whole of last year with his previous owner......... 4 TIMES IN A YEAR! i bought him in about March this year, he wasn't what i wanted...... he should have been 5 times the size he was and will take years to be big enough to be Marilyn's boyfriend......... but i had to give him a chance. he's now fed 8 times with me and is finally starting to look better.
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/08/2009 : 09:34:39
Couldnt put it better myself Kellog!
Kellog Posted - 12/08/2009 : 22:34:52
SexyBear has asked the right question - what is best for your snake? You need to weigh up the pros and cons of putting him through what would probably be stressful bloodtests and forcefeeding, which may give him chance to live and get well but the result is unknown, or you do nothing and watch him waste away, or you put him out of his misery. Sorry, dont think I'v put that very clearly.
Has he drunk again recently? Do you handle him, what is he like if you do?
Definitely wait for your original vet if you trust him and ask him, if it was his snake what would he do??
xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/08/2009 : 14:31:25
Its your snake, but what are the odds about this working, weighed up against how stressful it could be for your snake?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000