The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 lazy or ill?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 27/07/2009 : 15:54:12
let you know im new to all of this for starters so dont be mean.
new baby corn, 8 weeks old. loads of research on tank before i set it up and the snake was fine when i handled in the shop.
now its does nothing but stay in its hides and seems pretty terrified of me. still eating and drinking well though.
any help would be appreciated, want to have a happy snake i can handle and watch explore his tank.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 28/07/2009 : 18:14:00
mont has one of those hides with a lid that comes with a load of moss (think its an exo terra one but cant remember)..if hes in there i take the moss out and then pick him up.. its the only way i can get him out of the thing! haha
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:21:44
just go in and pick him up gently- I prefer to get mine when they are curled up in the hide, as they are less likely to wrap around things and get stressed while trying to pick them up. Be gentle but firm, dont stroke or tickle your snake before picking them up. then give him some gentle handling, not restraining his movement in any way, for about 5-10 minutes, before placing him gently back into his viv.
hillzi Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:19:46
thats the best way to go about it.

you left him for a week to settle in yeah?

Just had mine out now for about half an hour slithering all over my face, my hair and my arms :)
Best to persevere then it will get used to you more.
n/a Posted - 27/07/2009 : 20:49:35
if he stays skittish whats the best way to start handling him. eventually im gonna have to get him out whether for cleaning or what not.
hillzi Posted - 27/07/2009 : 20:34:47
When I went into the room with my viv, blaze's head was craning out the cave and he shot back in.

I've had him for a month and 22 days and it's still a bit skittish but they will calm down
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/07/2009 : 17:30:15
Ive had my new snake for nearly a month and she had only just started coming out of her hide- it will take a while for your new pet to get used to you, so be patient gentle with him, including when handling.
HannahB Posted - 27/07/2009 : 17:12:07
yeah hes probs still getting used to being in a new environment,dont panic - iv had my guy 3weeks now and he still hides away a lot..he'll settle down just be gentle but firm when you pick him up,remember to him your hand is mahoosive and unfamiliar

he'll settle down soon
n/a Posted - 27/07/2009 : 17:03:00
just over a week now. was waiting about a week till i picked him up but think i might leave it longer. hes quick and dont wanna rixk losin the little fella if he bricks it.
matty18714 Posted - 27/07/2009 : 16:01:23
It will take a while for it to stop being so scared of you, and its totaly normal for them to hide away. How long have you had it?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000