The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 losing the will to live now

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 18/07/2009 : 19:41:18
feeding day yesterday, left the pinkie in overnight, NO JOY. am at my wits end with her, have tried everythin i can think of, except live feeding or force feeding but am not at all keen on either of those as im not experienced enough with snakes to be comfortable. any other suggesgions gratefully recieved an big hugs in return(best i can do sorry). My hoggies eat better than her an they can be stubborn little beggers.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 22/07/2009 : 15:48:45
feed due tomorrow, and she seems to be showing signs of hunting in her RUB im hoping that is a good sign, might try taking her for a drive as well, she does seem to like the car, although more when i put her on the dash to get out, not the best way, thanks every1 for all their advice and handy tips, will let you know how things go tomoro.xx
Montyrom Posted - 22/07/2009 : 12:00:46
I have a couple of tricks which work fine for my fussy eater:

One, defrost in hot water to ensure the pinkie, fluff, rat pup whatever is warm when you gently put it in - I sometimes put them into a smaller tub and under a tea towel to make them feel safe. this usually works with minimal stress to all.

Two, this one is slightly wacky but works is...
Put him/her into a carry tub and take them for a drive in a warm car for about 20mins. Come back and gently put a warm pinkie etc into the tub, it's usually gone within 10 minutes.

But I agree with the husbandry tips, ensure they feel safe and are the correct temp before trying anything remotely stressful to your snake or to you.

Good Luck.
punumbear Posted - 21/07/2009 : 21:20:46
no problem gp
gingerpony Posted - 21/07/2009 : 21:19:36
thanks PB.
punumbear Posted - 21/07/2009 : 20:40:25
HUFFNPUFF..... May i start off apologising to u about the subject *pinkypress* it has been bought to my attention by GP that the pinky press seems to not be the most favourable route to take with your snake with regards to helping it feed.I had purely red about this on most websites online shops where it gives a brief description of the product.The descriptions do not tell u , this will cause undue stress, not to be used in novice hands etc etc. So once again my apologise for this. :O)
sexychef Posted - 21/07/2009 : 01:09:06
quote:
Originally posted by huffnpuff

went into my local reptile shop, and he ended up force feeding her, but she would only eat a mouse tail, i have also been informed that she is younger than i was told when i bought her, shes probably about 4 weeks now, i have had her for 3 and was given feeding records wich dont match up, says that she had eaten 3 times NO CHANCE. also was told that she may not be eating because she dos not have a lamp, thought they were not essential, none of my snakes got lites, all mats and stats,(the others all eat first time every time) help

thats the trouble with shows. i think i got a hoggie that had only been fed maybe 1-2 time. the breeders see a lot of people with little to non experience and see a easy 30-80 quid i know they did with me. i didnt aske for records, breeders names or anything i was too excited. but know i now what to ask and all that wont fall for it again.

now your snake has had another taste of mouse hopefully it will take a pinkie. like other posts either brain it or make it bleed from the nose.

hope all works out fine

dont try to pinky press, force or assist feed seek out some one with experience if need be
n/a Posted - 21/07/2009 : 01:00:56
have u tried halfing a pinky?
lucifer Posted - 21/07/2009 : 00:32:57
Pinkie smoothie that my friend used to get his eating was simply a pinkie placed in a blender with water, he would then have 2 bowls in the viv - one with the pinkie smoothie and another with plain water.
He held his snake just above the smoothie bowl and he drank it and got a taste for it.

Try it, it could get her instincts flaring.
gingerpony Posted - 21/07/2009 : 00:26:21
quote:

i have also been informed that she is younger than i was told when i bought her, shes probably about 4 weeks now, i have had her for 3 and was given feeding records wich dont match up, says that she had eaten 3 times NO CHANCE. also was told that she may not be eating because she dos not have a lamp

a light will make no difference whatsoever, and snakes are particularly difficult to age as there are so many variables... have you tried contacting the vendor/breeder at all?
PB (one of hatchies) will take an assist feed, where you open his mouth with the pinkie then he latches onto it and does the rest...
gingerpony Posted - 21/07/2009 : 00:15:24
quote:
Originally posted by ally

Er, what's a pinkey press?

basically a metal syringe that squashes the pinkie up then you pin down the snake and force it down it's throat...
gingerpony Posted - 21/07/2009 : 00:13:38
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

get a pinky press mush the pinky up and literally syringe it down her throat, beats forcing a pinky into their mouth whole.

what absolute cr@p! using a pinkie press is so much less stressful??

lol easy tiger..red the description on one of these n that was what it appears to suggest .. ok so from the *what absolute crap*.. gee thanks i may have been misinformed

wow you read about it........
HannahB Posted - 20/07/2009 : 21:52:26
i did that with my lil guy the other day - defrosted a pinkie, brained it and whacked it in the microwave for 4secs to make it warm (but smells gross) and put it in his feeding tub which i then placed in his viv so he gets used to eating in his viv...
was there the next morning at 8am but gone by 12
n/a Posted - 20/07/2009 : 20:21:07
Er, what's a pinkey press?
cherry-milkshake Posted - 20/07/2009 : 17:02:24
quote:

went into my local reptile shop, and he ended up force feeding her, but she would only eat a mouse tail, i have also been informed that she is younger than i was told when i bought her, shes probably about 4 weeks now, i have had her for 3 and was given feeding records wich dont match up, says that she had eaten 3 times NO CHANCE. also was told that she may not be eating because she dos not have a lamp, thought they were not essential, none of my snakes got lites, all mats and stats,(the others all eat first time every time) help

The lamp shouldn't make any difference to be honest, as long as the heat source you have is at the correct temp. I use lamps but NEVER with hatchlings as they're far more dangerous for them anyway (because of getting into the bulb guards etc). A simple thing you could try, which may or may not work (but always has for me), if your viv/faun is portable, move it and the heat source into a quiet room away from the main part of the house (bedroom is ideal), warm the pinkie slighly in warm water - brain it as well if you think it will help, then cover the whole viv with a towel, and leave overnight without disturbing once. Take a look in the morning, and you never know Worth a try anyway, and good luck x
n/a Posted - 20/07/2009 : 14:55:40
punumbear Posted - 20/07/2009 : 11:38:01
quote:

quote:

get a pinky press mush the pinky up and literally syringe it down her throat, beats forcing a pinky into their mouth whole.

lol easy tiger..red the description on one of these n that was what it appears to suggest .. ok so from the *what absolute crap*.. gee thanks i may have been misinformed
HannahB Posted - 20/07/2009 : 00:21:04
make sure she has enough hides and the temp is right,
is she due to shed soon?my lil guy went off his food when he went blue..
Hope she eats soon x
hiper2009 Posted - 20/07/2009 : 00:14:58

Or maybe she is not warm enough to feed check heat source to see if its at the right temp
sexychef Posted - 19/07/2009 : 18:13:13
quote:

quote:

i wouldnt use a pinkie press unless you really know how to.
sorry huffnpuff i cant remember what u house her in? maybe she feels insercure
gingerpony Posted - 19/07/2009 : 18:07:50
quote:

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000