The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 03/07/2009 : 23:18:46
Hi all,

About shedding, my snake has gone a dark colour and its eyes are sort of milky..

Does this mean its going to shed soon?

If so what can i do to help the shedding process and get it to go smoothly?

Also i take it no handling whilst its like this until its fully shed?

Any other things i need and may want to know?

Regards,
Blake
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/07/2009 : 01:31:26
Cheers mate, got myself some DIY to do tomorrow i'll look around for a tub, if not will just buy one

regards,
Blake
cumbrian eejit Posted - 04/07/2009 : 00:04:18
If you read these two diy stickies it should help you out with the moss and the hide.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1766
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3699
as for the shedding itself, this will happen all at once, if you notice some of the old shed skin still on the snake after the shed, then you could try a tepid bath for a swim and then alow him/her to run through a warm damp towel,
good luck,
scott
n/a Posted - 03/07/2009 : 23:54:19
Yeh, any information is great.

Thanks for the quick reply also, and i love reading long articles about things i like

Cheers mate, will pop down pet shop tomorrow and get some moss, shall i put it in straight away, also any other tips i could pick up along the way?

And will it shed all in one go or like half one night and half the other,

Cheers from a noob snake owner

Regards,
Blake

P.S - Will a chinese tub be alright to keep the moss in? my viv is 3ft wide by 2ft depth i think They are like this http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/plastic_container250.jpg
cumbrian eejit Posted - 03/07/2009 : 23:31:09
you appear to be right, if the eyes are going a milky/blue haze over them and the colours have dimmed slightly over the body, then this is the first stage of shedding.
You can help by placing a damp hide in the viv, this can be as simple as a marg. tub filled with damp sphagnum moss or jay clothe,
It would be wise not to handle, and some owners will say not to feed whilst the eyes are "blue" but this depends on the individual snake imo, this is because this period can be very stressful for your snake as it's eyesight is poor due to the old eyelids separating from the eyes.
Sorry for the length of the reply, but I hope it helps you out.
Scott

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000