The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 new snake not feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 02/06/2009 : 21:43:14
6 weeks ago bought 4 and a half year old male corn snake. Was told he was healthy, had recently shed and fed a couple of days before. Came in vivarium with hide and plastic plants.
Since then have tried feeding him on defrosted mice but wont feed, doesnt even show any interest.
Got advice from reptile shop that his behaviour showed he was horny as very active and trying to get out of vivarium. Calmed down after couple of weeks but still didnt feed.
Went very quiet, stayed in hide a lot of time then went 'blue' and shed 3 days later. Healthy shed.
Still not showing any interest in food. He is just under 4 feet long. Didnt weigh him to begin with, but did a couple of days ago. He weighs 672g. Seems happy in viv, relaxed when you change water and straighten substrate (even drank while my hand was right by water bowl). Ok being handled, likes roaming around floor.
Has excreted runny yellow 3 times while out of viv.
Seems happy and settled just not interested in food. Hasnt eaten for 6 weeks now.
Any ideas, can anyone help?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 15/07/2009 : 16:08:44
Handled Kellog on Monday and Tuesday, which was wonderful, and then nervously dangled mouse in viv this morning. He stared...tongue flick....slow uncoil...and STRIKE!

Was so worried his first feed was going to be a one off! Kids and hubby desperate to have their turn feeding him now! Lol!
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 22:44:10
seeing as its his first feed in a while, leave it three days as this meal could be a shock to the system.
n/a Posted - 11/07/2009 : 21:52:24
Thank goodness he's eaten, Kellog. And don't worry about asking stuff, evryone is very supportive. Gingerpony has answered some of my questions which must have seemed so basic, but if you don't know, you don't know! Hope all goes well from now on. Ally.
Chimp276 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 21:06:47
Leave it at least one day, but 2 would be better!!
Kellog Posted - 11/07/2009 : 20:55:34
Kellog doing great, has spent short time roaming viv and quite a lot of the time sprawled out under bulb. Now peering out at me from hide saying "take me out, take me out!". Lol! When can I handle him without disturbing digestion?

More pics in photo topic
Chimp276 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 19:23:22
You still definitely need that warm hide, but it is good to know that kellog is eating lol!
cherry-milkshake Posted - 11/07/2009 : 15:08:36
Glad snakie had some dinner in the end , try again in about five days or so and hopefully he'll start getting into a more regular feeding routine - keep working on hubby about the hide in the meantime and good luck xx
n/a Posted - 11/07/2009 : 00:56:57
hehe great ur snake is going ok seems to have gotten into a heated discussion here lol but ye u always have someone that knows better but keep on fighting for the warm hide, dunno what my snake would do without it, but ye the nice folks have helped me so much already and ive only been on a couple weeks is all i have to say they seem to know there stuff (thanks guys btw tic tac appreciates lol) gl with the snake hope he keeps feeding ok
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 00:24:30
Seeing as he has lost some weight during the time he hasnt been eating, I would try him again in 5 days and see how he's feeling. It may help him to put weight back on, feeding every 5 days for a couple of weeks. Keep and eye on his weight, and if he doesnt want to eat in 5 days then try him in 7 or 8.

and you're welcome for the advice (and you're not pathetic OR neurotic, just being a good owner.)
nikki77 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 20:17:16
Glad to hear Kellog ate

I really do hope you get sumwhere with hubby - but I still reckon you should just sneak a toilet roll in when he isnt looking!!

I understand that my new snake needs to be fed every 5 days but she is only a tinsy baby, so not sure if the same would apply to kellog, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out

Kellog Posted - 10/07/2009 : 20:10:53
Thanks again to everyone for their advice - I will not drop the subject with my husband but I will drop it from this discussion! I AGREE WITH YOU ALL!

Kellog ate first thing this morning, spent most of time since in hide and now out acting as though nothing has happened. So what should I expect next? Told you I would need more advice. When do I know when he needs feeding again? Old owner used to feed him every 5 days, is that ok?

Particular thanks to SexyBear, for advice and for sticking up for me, despite me being a pathetic neurotic owner!
Kazerella Posted - 10/07/2009 : 16:58:42
cut up foil/cling film rolls for little'uns, toilet roll tubes for medium ones, poster tubes for the semi-big un's (from Lewy's work) and massive paper rolls for the massive ones. (my mates a printer). They love 'em
Brookestar Posted - 10/07/2009 : 16:41:48
all my vivs have toilet roll in xD
Chimp276 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 14:44:16
yeah everyone has toilet roll tubes lying around, free and hidey lmao
Brookestar Posted - 10/07/2009 : 13:24:43
totally right there kaz. do some diy and make a decent hide out of toilet roles lol.
Kazerella Posted - 10/07/2009 : 12:39:22
Sorry to bring this up when it seems that everyone is leaving it be but I have to say- I agree with everyone else that he should have a hide in the warm end.

A toilet roll tube or cardboard box with a hole in will do. No expense is needed but it may help your snake out loads.
Jono2411 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 10:29:19
yeah, sorry, ill change it to "I'm leaving this discussion now"
SexyBear77 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 10:22:22
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

I'm glad to hear he has eaten... hopefully he can get into a bigger viv asap then f thats what its gonna take. I'm bored of this discussion now, everyone has said all they can lets just leave it now...

thats a bit abrupt isnt it?
Jono2411 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 10:21:05
I'm glad to hear he has eaten... hopefully he can get into a bigger viv asap then f thats what its gonna take. I'm bored of this discussion now, everyone has said all they can lets just leave it now...
SexyBear77 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 09:26:43
Of course I dont think you're a bad owner, and no one else on here will think that either. Again, I'm REALLY sorry if I came across as rude, that wasnt my intention. Feel free to come to any of us for advice, and you will always get it.

Sorry to hear about Hubby, but I bet your glad your snakey has eaten!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000