The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Strange shed.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 13:17:44
So Espher has had perfect sheds without fail since I got her a couple of years ago.
I had never seen her shed until yesterday and I saw her rubbing her face on the substrate really hard, was so funny to watch!

I kept an eye on her the entire time and she managed to get her eyecaps and head off easily but then it just started to flake away in little bits.
I've only ever had full sheds from her before, and nothing has changed apart from the fact I was watching her.
Could that have put her off do you reckon?

She started shedding at about 3pm yesterday, and she still has little bits down her body that haven't come off today..

Gonna see if she can sort herself out but if not I might give her a bath tonight.
What do you guys think?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 15:07:12
Is down to the snake lol. Has happened to gmac to.
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 15:01:58
definately. thanks for that.

I dunno, ive read about it in my corn bible lol, but i always assumed it was a choice made by the breeder.. like making her lay two batches in the same year.

I hope she isn't.. I've heard it's not too good for them, and she was tiny after laying the first clutch.
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:59:37
Lucky I thought of it for you lol.

They just retain sperm simple as that. If she's double clutched she will lay around the time they first batch hatch. She may not of but worth preparing for just in case.
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:52:18
I hadn't considered that either... should have really.
She is quite big too.. I just put it down to her killer appetite though.

You've got me thinking now! I might have to go home and check her for eggs.

If they double clutch, do the eggs start to develop as soon as the other eggs are laid?
She only bred with Silver once this year, for about ten mins, does that effect the chance of double clutching?
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:48:01
Ah OK well use that it will help with the shed an leave it in I case she's double clutched
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:46:29
vermiculite...
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:43:43
What did u have in lay box for original eggs?
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:40:28
yeah I do, I'll put it in when I get home.
not got any moss though, been using vermiculite for my eggs.
Would vermiculite be alright dya reckon or should I use something else?
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:24:49
I've always used a moss box at shed time, the only time I didn't it was a mess haha. Have you got a lay box in just in case?
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:22:14
and yeah I think i'll start putting her a damp hide in from now on. Never worried about her shedding before now
QueenVic Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:21:05
Now. lol

well, they are 56 days old today, and the top two have been dented inwards for nearly a week.
Three of the others have dented inwards now too...
It's driving me mad waiting
a33272 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 14:16:51
No won't be due to u watching, just one of them things. My corn always has a damp hide when she's due to shed so this doesn't hapen. Umm when are you eggs due to hatch?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000