The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Snake won't eat.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
UniqueGlow Posted - 03/05/2012 : 05:03:35
So my corn snake hasn't wanted to eat for about a month now. This issue has only recently come up. She's always been good with feeding though. She's about 2 years old, I think. about 3ft long or so and about 1/2 inch thick? I know she isn't shedding soon because she did a while back and hasn't eaten since she shed. I checked for mites and there are none. I noticed 2 red spots on her that look to be under her skin/scales but I don't know if they were there before or not. I'm not sure if I should be worried about them. She's still active and everything else like normal she just hasn't wanted to eat. I've tried both live and frozen (thawed for her of course) and even 1 size smaller than I would normally feed but she doesn't care for the mice.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 16/05/2012 : 17:18:09
Good luck, hope she eats for you!
UniqueGlow Posted - 15/05/2012 : 22:14:02
I was right after all! She just shed! =D I'm going to try to feed her either today or tomorrow and hopefully she'll actually eat. Pretty soon I'm also getting her a new tank that's big enough for everything she needs!!!
kdlang Posted - 11/05/2012 : 08:03:58
She is a beautiful snake. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about her eating until you have got her set-up correct. You need to make sure that whatever you are using for heating is controlled using a thermostat. This will make sure it doesn't get too hot for her. You also need a digital thermometer to check the temperatures.You want to have it between 27 and 29C in the warm end and room temperature in the cool end is fine. Cardboard boxes are fine to use as hides as a cheap alternative and the benefit is you can throw them away instead of washing them.

Have a good look at the stickys at the top of each section on the forum and the caresheet on the site. It will help you to get things set-up properly and I'm sure she will soon be eating once she has settled. If she is getting ready to shed then she wont be too interested in food so it's the perfect time to get things sorted
UniqueGlow Posted - 11/05/2012 : 03:07:29
haha Starmist! Well, if it makes you feel better if you were local I'd let you play with my snake. =D

UPDATE: My snake still isn't eating. Tried feeding her like a day or 2 ago and nothing. Still acting normal though. Not soaking or anything so I know she doesn't have mites. Last time I picked her up her eyes looked a little dull so I'm guessing she might shed soon?
Starmist Posted - 10/05/2012 : 11:00:09
Argh! What a beautiful snake!!! I wish adding pictures weren't allowed on this forum as everytime I see a different one I want one! I been dropping not so subtle hints to the o/h but it doesn't seem to be working... :( Good luck with your snake !
UniqueGlow Posted - 10/05/2012 : 02:07:36
Thank you! =D
smart bunny Posted - 04/05/2012 : 08:15:32
Oooh an anery stripe I believe, she is beautiful!! Yep, probably the lack of hides that is the problem then! As Georgina said any smallish box/tub which there is room for her to curl up in will do, tissue box, cereal box etc - just cut a small door in the side until you've eaten your pringles!
Georgina Posted - 03/05/2012 : 23:28:20
as they are x
UniqueGlow Posted - 03/05/2012 : 23:13:40
Just as they are or cut in half? I gotta go buy some pringles haha!
Georgina Posted - 03/05/2012 : 22:36:39
any box or tub will do, hes a bit big for kitchen roll tubes but pringle pots work just as wellx
UniqueGlow Posted - 03/05/2012 : 22:22:44

Thanks bunny. Here's a pic of her so you guys can see. I'll be sure to take out the heat rock. I didn't know that. As far as hides I was originally told I didn't need any by the person who gave me the snake. Is there anything I can make or somewhere to buy a cheap one?
smart bunny Posted - 03/05/2012 : 21:58:14
Heat rocks are dangerous for corns, they can burn themselves I'd remove it and just leave her at room temp until you can sort a better setup. Also, you didn't mention hides - in case you don't know already, you need a hide in both the warm and the cool end so they can feel safe at whatever temp they want to be at. If she cannot get to the correct temp for digesting that may be why she's not eating? Not sure about the red spot, sorry, but what little I can see of her she looks like a stunning snake lol!
UniqueGlow Posted - 03/05/2012 : 20:28:33

I added a picture and hopefully it shows. It's of the red spot I found on my snake. Scaly thanks for the advice about the mat I'll look into that.
ScalySituation Posted - 03/05/2012 : 19:01:12
that could be your problem, heat rocks are a pain to regulate the temp, a statted mat is best with the temp at about 28 degrees C
UniqueGlow Posted - 03/05/2012 : 18:59:42
So how can I find out the sex? O_o I was told my snake was a she. The snake hasn't lost any weight and she's still acting normal just not eating. My set up isn't great since she was just a gift and I'm not sure about the temps. I have really just a water bowl, heat lamp and a heat rock for it. I want to get a better tank and some leaves and what not later. I've seen some pictures and some of you guys have some really nice ones. I'm looking for something inexpensive.
a33272 Posted - 03/05/2012 : 13:56:09
Unless he she is losing/lost alot of weight, I wouldn't worry to much. As long as all else is fine just offer a feed once a week for now. As said u could find she is a he, hence why there's no interest in eating right just like lots of others.
Lozzy Posted - 03/05/2012 : 10:20:24
Hey and Welcome!

I'm pretty new to all this but this thread is good: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

Hope you get snakey eating soon!
Georgina Posted - 03/05/2012 : 08:35:25
Are you sure she is not a he, as many male snkes are off their food at the moment.

What are your temps like and your set up

And a pic of the red spots would be great, its probs just colouration but best to check x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000