The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Weird situation...I need your advice!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tara-looloo Posted - 28/04/2012 : 15:24:48
My lovely corn snake got a weird problem under his neck. One of the layers under her neck just lifted and im worried that it is deep or becomes deeper and causes infection or other problems. It seems that this has happened when he tried to pull his neck out of a tight space or against something!
its not just a little lifted skin, its part of a layer of his under neck!

Could you please advice...Im worried as usual ;)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tara-looloo Posted - 11/05/2012 : 13:05:24
Thanks for your replies.
fortunately, he is fine, he pooed fine and seems ok. But good lesson; I will never feed him on wood chips.

Thanks alot all xx
QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:46:08
I understand that it's not definately going to cause any damage.
Just relaying what I have heard.

Plus, the fur when being swallowed head to tail lays flat, since that is the direction it grows in, when being swallowed the other way it is ruffled up.

I am not saying that it is a definate danger, but I tend to prefer to be safe than to risk it.

Alot of the mice I use tend to bleed from the mouth or nose when defrosted long enough anyway, so I don't worry about it myself.
tordyjo Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:23:24
not sure eating a mouse the wrong way will have that bad of an effect, fur is fur which ever way you swallow it, i think they eat it head first mainly because its the easier end and haven't got a long tail to contend with, its easier swallowing the tail after the mouse and not before. I don't brain any of the adult mice before offering, mine tend to grab in the middle and move towards the head but have been known to swallow butt first WITHOUT any ill effects.
QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:56:40
Be careful with them eating the wrong way too, head to tail is safest.
I know you can't exactly turn it around once he's started lol, but perhaps brain it a little so the head is more appealing.

Heard that there can be complications with the fur clogging breathing tubes etc.
Tara-looloo Posted - 08/05/2012 : 16:08:36
Thanks Georgina, It seems I cant relax... xx
Georgina Posted - 08/05/2012 : 15:45:37
normally they are fine but most of us feed outside the viv in a seperate tub to avoid any issues with bedding x
Tara-looloo Posted - 08/05/2012 : 15:38:47
Hi My friends, My corn snake shed out the damage scale today, there is still a mark which im sure that he will get rid off it in next sheddings. I fed him a small mouse today and he attact it immediately! so he was so hungry but weird thing has happened; firs of all he started from legs! also when he was swallowing, i just saw a pice of wood from his bedding sticked on the mouse, I tried ti remove it but he didnt let me to touch his food and pull it back and swallowed it quickly. So he ate a pice of wood with his food!
I sthig going to make a problem for him? or he can digest it as well? Please advice... Many thanks xx
Tara-looloo Posted - 02/05/2012 : 17:05:10
Mamma Posted - 02/05/2012 : 15:37:15
Been reading up on this thread. Glad to hear hes getting there xx
Tara-looloo Posted - 02/05/2012 : 15:27:58
hope you never need it but yes good to know.
Thanks Georgina, I will keep you updated with new pics xx
smart bunny Posted - 02/05/2012 : 12:47:34
Glad to hear he seems to be recovering Interesting about the tamodine as well, I'd not heard of it before - all useful info to store away for the future 'just in case'!
Georgina Posted - 02/05/2012 : 12:33:59
Keep us updated x and some pics of him onces he shed x
Tara-looloo Posted - 02/05/2012 : 12:21:01
Thanks alot for advice lotabob. It is not an open wound so I will stop applying,especially when he turnes into blue, as they dont like a touch. Yes, actually getting a vet check him made me more relax atherwise I would be really worried to see him like this. I will follow your advice with damp as well. Thanks so much xx
Georgina Posted - 02/05/2012 : 00:19:26
i hope so too, i would follow lotabobs advice with the Tamodine. x
Tara-looloo Posted - 02/05/2012 : 00:16:54
Thanks so much for your help Georgina. I hope he shed out and get ride of this scale damage xxx
lotabob Posted - 02/05/2012 : 00:12:14
I would only apply Tamodine if/while the wound is open, if its scabbed or closed over then I would just leave it alone as putting the Tamodine on may open the wound again.

The shedding may be a response to the injury or it may be his time but it is a good thing either way as it should go a long way to repairing the damage. You did the right thing though, you wasn't sure so you got a vet to look it over, you've made the vivarium a bit soft to avoid opening the wound etc so I dont think you've missed anything, Dont worry about them laying immobile in their hides its quite normal for them to do this and will do no harm at all but a bit of well supervised out of viv time shouldn't cause any problems.

I would avoid damp hides at the moment though, the wound needs to be kept clean and dry so you can get a damp face cloth and drape it over the hide instead or something off the ground, it will help raise humidity but minimise the chances of your snake sitting in/on the damp environment and getting an infection.
Georgina Posted - 02/05/2012 : 00:08:28
i havnt had much experience with tamodine, but i assume it should be fine, it will minimise infection. i would carry on as you are and put a damp hide in as soone as your sure hes blue, which will help him shed xx
Tara-looloo Posted - 01/05/2012 : 23:37:14
Do you think I should stop applying Tamodine during the shedding process? x
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 23:06:28
I think scale damage can induce shed, so hopfully it will shed out and he will be back to normal x
Tara-looloo Posted - 01/05/2012 : 22:28:47
yes maybe! but i just took him out from his cage and he was very unhappy with that and made that angry noise! He seems alittle pale, so i though he might going into the shedding stage! not sure,...

Thanks so much for the link, thats great!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000