The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 worried about shayde

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
darrkang3l Posted - 07/04/2012 : 15:29:01
well i though i was just being stupid for a while that i was worrying about shayde's size. he is no bigger than a hatchling still and coming up to a yearling. i try to feed him every 5 days but he wont have it sometimes he takes 7-8 days apart but just one small pinkie brained. he hasn't shed once in the nearly 2 months i have had him. im going to get scales asap to see if hes gaining weight but it looks to me like hes loosing it all the time. his neck is soo thin its like a matchstick! forgive me if im just being stupid but compared to myst (my snow about the same age) he is extremely tiny! and hasn't grown a bit since Ive had him. (temps faun/setup is all fine! Ive done hours making sure everything is perfect)is there any vitamins ect that i could try? or am i just being stupid like i said before lol?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tordyjo Posted - 09/04/2012 : 19:47:16
I have a snow who is 9 months old, she went for a long spell of just over 10 weeks without feeding. She's still on pinky's and will only feed every 7 -8 days, i've tried on the 5th day but like you she refuses. I've kept an eye on her weight and she's increased by 10g since we got her in September. She is active enough though, good luck with her, and might be worth getting her checked out to make sure nothing else going on.
darrkang3l Posted - 09/04/2012 : 19:31:53
thanks guys. im gunna see how it goes after this week. feed him again in 5 days and hopefully he will take and i can try gain some weight on him!
Spreebok Posted - 09/04/2012 : 18:53:47
Yeah, I'd second taking him to a reptile vet, it's the weak and floppy part that would have me worried.

Some corns grow very slowly, like my Butter. He's only a few days younger than my Fire (10 months) and he's tiny. Fire is about 40g, Butter is about 8g! But he's active, healthy and eats without fail, so I'm not worried. So yes, the weak and floppy bit would cause a bit of alarm for me.
smart bunny Posted - 09/04/2012 : 17:05:30
If it was my snake I think I would want him checked out by a vet just to be on the safe side. I hope he is OK.
darrkang3l Posted - 09/04/2012 : 15:48:30
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

it is amazing how differently they grow. if you post a pic up of him next to something as a size comparison we can see how big he is. pinkies are mostly water so there can be slow growth whilst feeding on them. as soon as they go onto fluffs that shoot up, and when they go on smalls they get fatter! :)

yeah i do understand but it seems like hes loosing weight like thinner than when i got him. hes a very fussy feeder but has fed around once a week since i got him. i tried him with a fluff when he was bigger (well what seemed so) and he struck it then left it alone. i think his stools are runny because when i clean them out there like splats. and it seems like i can see his spine now. pic attached. sorry its not a very good pic when i was handling him today he seemed very weak and floppy. didn't wanna keep him out for too long. plus he refused his feed which is now in his faun on tissue. ( the only way he seems to take it atm)

Georgina Posted - 07/04/2012 : 17:44:53
it is amazing how differently they grow. if you post a pic up of him next to something as a size comparison we can see how big he is. pinkies are mostly water so there can be slow growth whilst feeding on them. as soon as they go onto fluffs that shoot up, and when they go on smalls they get fatter! :)
smart bunny Posted - 07/04/2012 : 17:37:35
I didn't comment earlier as I didn't really know what to say! I know everyone says all corns grow at different rates as I was worried about Corno before. It must be a bit worrying for you, but as long as he is eating something and not regurging then hopefully he'll be OK. Hopefully someone else with mre knowledge will come along soon!
darrkang3l Posted - 07/04/2012 : 16:50:06
thanks donnie! yeah i was looking at these ones anyway then something came up i needed to spend some money on first! ile get some in the week! i keep a feeding record ect anyway so adding weight to it will be easy! :)
Donnie Posted - 07/04/2012 : 16:28:42
I would go and get some scales so you can be certain if he is losing weight or not, I got some last weekend from Tesco for just under a tenner and will weigh up to 3kg in gram increments for my snakeys.

www.tesco.com/direct/salter-electronic-platform-scale/203-7286.prd?skuId=203-7286&pageLevel=" target="_blank">http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/direct/salter-electronic-platform-scale/203-7286.prd?skuId=203-7286&pageLevel=

On a positive he is feeding something at least and you have got the faun set up right, so I think you just need to record all his feeding dates and weight before feeding so you can monitor him.

I am sure some more experienced keepers will have more input for you.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000