The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Stinky Corn!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spreebok Posted - 15/02/2012 : 20:37:17
Hey all, bit of a weird one!
Put it simply, my Carolina Stinks.
He a yearling male, and since I got him, he has always smelt. It's like, a strong, nasty, plant-like smell, like it you break the stem of a dandylion and smell the sap stuff that comes out. It's stronger when he poops, but it's always there, regardless of how sparkling the viv is.

I did move him over to kitchen towel a while back, and this sorted the problem, and he went back to Aspen and it came back pretty quickly. He's going back to kitchen towel soon, as it suggests to me that he has stinky wee, but I was wondering if any of you know why he would smell that strongly? None of my others smell at all!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spreebok Posted - 17/02/2012 : 18:17:54
All clean and sparkling!
I'm not too worried about his health, seeing as he's always smelled a little bit and he eats and poops and sheds fine. It would just be nice if he didn't smell xD
I've moved him onto kitchen roll again, so see if that helps. I am thinking he just has smelly wee/poop, and if it's his tinkle that cuasing the smell, I can spot it on the kitchen roll.
lotabob Posted - 17/02/2012 : 12:38:44
Is his belly scales clean and free from any deposits? Is the vent clean and closed? no swelling down by the vent or anything?
Spreebok Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:37:48
@Oketee Mick: I actually considered that it might be, I have a yearling caramel motley who has musked on me. I figured the cats may be scaring him, but he's now in a nice shady viv, he never gets a look in now at the cats are always trying to get my Adult Anery (who seems to enjoy teasing them haha) He certainly is a year old though, her was a late 2010, and I've had him from a hatchling in March 2011.

@Smiffy:
Not always, usually he just gives a wee strike.
Yeah, I feed them in tubs so I can keep an eye on them all (Or sometimes just the floor haha)
He doesn't bathe, no. I don't give bowls big enough for bathing, just enough for drink. And I've never had to bath him, great shedder, and (unlike me snow) never climbs through his poop haha!
smiffy89 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:28:07
does he constrict his mice?
do you feed in seperate area?
does he bathe(in water bowl)himself and have you tried bathing him?

only reason i ask is that i do the last 2 and have noticed a reduction in the smell from my snakey corner since last year because most of my snakes constrict(apart from snickers he's a lazy bottom).
Spreebok Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:00:53
No, he's the only one who hasn't done it yet! xD
Okeetee Mick Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:00:24
It's probably musk, are you sure he is only a year old?
eeji Posted - 15/02/2012 : 21:55:45
does he like to spill water everywhere? it doesn't take long for soggy substrate to go a bit whiffy
Spreebok Posted - 15/02/2012 : 20:38:31
Forgot to mention, it's not a ventilation problem, he smelt in a rub, so I moved him to a faun (which have the well ventilated slotted tops) and he still smelt. It often makes the room smell too!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000