The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Lost, but now found.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xSerenity Posted - 24/01/2012 : 17:43:37
My corn snake, Mia, got free from her tank just before new year. 5 days ago my cat came upstairs with poor Mia hanging out of her mouth. She hadn't bitten her, or indeed done anything at all to harm her, just plopped her on the rug and looked up at my expectantly.

The last time she had eaten (by my hand) was Christmas Eve. I don't know what she could have eaten in the time she was roaming inside the walls and under the floor, but she wont eat anything. I tried her with a pinky on Saturday, but she wouldn't even look at it.

I have also had to take her to her water bowl (which is outside the hide she favours) twice for her to drink.

I'm just looking for any advice that can be given. Feeding advice, how to make her more comfortable. Anything at all.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meggi Posted - 29/01/2012 : 20:02:47
very sweet story get her checked out by a vet (not just because of the cat) and leave her to settle in for a week before offering her food. She needs to settle back into her viv again.
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/01/2012 : 16:54:10
I have had several cats over the years, and a few of them wouldnt hurt any living thing at all, seems your kitty is the same, and if not for your cat, who knows how long it would have been till you found Mia! deff can of tuna!!
xSerenity Posted - 29/01/2012 : 15:30:35
Well I had her out for a bit a couple of nights past and she done her usual and pooped on me, so she's eaten something or other on her adventures since she usually only digests for 2 weeks at most.

I did take her to the vets the day I found her. They said that apart from being a little dehydrated she was fine. No broken bones, just a bit shaken and dirty. I've cleaned her scales up as much as I could (she really hates baths) so I'm just waiting for her to shed to get rid of the last of the dirt on her back.

She started drinking by herself yesterday, and I'm going to try her with a small meal tonight. She's quite active when I take her out of her tank, always tasting and exploring. I've checked her all over every day since I found her to make sure there wasn't anything the vet had missed, but thankfully she seems to be okay.

I was worried that if my cat found her that she would just play with her, as others have said, since Mia is so small she's pretty much just a moving string, but it honestly looked as though she had just picked her up and carried her upstairs.

Thanks for all the responses. :)
lotabob Posted - 24/01/2012 : 21:38:01
You dont need a bite to suffer internal trauma. Cats play with their prey, pounce on them, swipe them with the paw I dont think a snake would stay still long enough to be picked up like that without a fight without having had the seven bells knocked out of it too. Don't think because a snake is cold its defenceless they are super aggressive when chilly. In my opinion that snake has taken a right beating and when its stopped moving its been brought home so to speak as they do with mice and birds. So its bones may not be broken as their ribs are generally quite flexible and it may be moving around but its going to be battered and bruised and should be checked over for injuries you cant see.
Sta~ple Posted - 24/01/2012 : 20:11:16
Luckily there was no bite.. not sure what pasteurella can do to reptiles. I know if a cat had my snake in their mouths it would soon be a slipper!
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:48:59
does need to be checked out, but if snakey is moving and slithering fine then it wouldnt suggest any broken bones etc

and sometimes pets are clever,

i use to have two mice, and black lab crossbreed with collie who was about 7-8 months old who liked to play with spiders moved them about, squash em and eat them

but one of mice got out and kept running and being small boy couldnt get it and mum didnt like them, my dog, she followed it round, gently picked it up in her mouth and the mouse climbed over her nose, onto her head and on her body and she come running to me barking and there was my mouse, unharmed

some cats are the same, and although high chance it may have been tossed about etc, doesnt mean it has,
Auld Baldy Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:18:46
Treat as a new snake and leave alone for a week to settle back in. Just change the water and spot clean as necessary. Offer a feed after the week. Leave overnight in a covered feed tub if she is reluctant. Don't worry too much about what she has or hasn't eaten during the escapade, snakes can go without food for quite a long time.

That is one smart cat. I hope you rewarded her well.
lotabob Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:15:16
Please tell me you took it to a vet! cats dont kill things by ripping them to bits, they smash them around for a bit. Poor thing needs to be examined by a vet ASAP.
ScalySituation Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:08:34
braining?
dob of marmite on head?
super warming?
leaving overnight?
Spreebok Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:07:58
I'd say just to leave her alone for a week besides water changes, and then try offering food then. She'll have to re-adjust to being tame again. Just make sure water is available and see how se is in a week :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000