The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 What Temp ???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jason_app Posted - 22/11/2011 : 18:21:56
Hey, Wondering what the ideal temperature should be for my two corn snakes?

Cheers, Jase
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
paulie78 Posted - 24/11/2011 : 18:47:10
quote:
Originally posted by Jason_app

quote:
Originally posted by kayjosh

Okay Okay gonna stop all if i may....the idea of having snakes had always been there although true that little facts were researched....when a family member became ill and was going to be submitted to hospital a frantic search went on to find somwone more experianced to take her five snakes...she was mortified to think she would never see them again and when the only result looked at them going into rescue Jason and I offered to take them....we have always been huge pet lovers and responsible....We debate often on want we read as best parctice in keeping them and so joined the forum where as we all know more experianced owners can offer ther advice and tried and tested theories...All our snakes are different and have all different personalities and needs...the question of temp is not the first qustion on the forum that would be considered basic...feel disappointed at a couple of the replys here and the debate thats resulted all round...such a shame on whats otherwise been the best corn fourm Jason and I had come across to date.

Well said babe x

Lets hope its all finished now and we can continue to enjoy such a fantastic forum as you said.

It is a fantastic forum for sure unfortunately things can so easily be taken the wrong way when its written and not spoken and the people here are just very very passionate as im sure you guys are i personally have seen a few horror storys on here in the short time that ive been keeping my snakes (only 4 months) most of theese occurances could have been avoided either by better advice or a bit of research before purchase so dont take it too personally guys everyones just looking out for the snakes lol best wishes to you
mikerichards Posted - 24/11/2011 : 17:43:21
quote:

OK fair enough but your original comment:

quote:Originally posted by mikerichards

Gonna answer your question with a question, Why dont you know what it should be?? Providing the correct temps and habitat for any animal should be something you know BEFORE you buy said animal.

This is what started the whole issue, which you will have to admit is because you jumped to conclusions.

There are too many issues caused by people jumping to the wrong conclusion without having all the facts first.

Jase

I didnt jump to any conclusion, there is nothing wrong with what i said, people SHOULD learn before buying, which you didnt, and have a reasonable excuse for, which is why i said i wouldnt critisize you for.

So which conclusion did i jump to?? the one where i concluded you didnt do the reseach first because you dont know the simplest thing you should know?? yeah, i did, and i was right.

My post wasn't a criticism, it was a question. If you had come back with a different answer, then you would have been criticised!
gingerpony Posted - 24/11/2011 : 17:36:58
for my first snake i researched garters, went to the shop, came back with a corn..........

but on a different note, there are plenty of caresheets and info available to read, the art of research seems to be dead when you can JFGI or ask on a forum........
Jason_app Posted - 24/11/2011 : 16:11:09
quote:
Originally posted by kayjosh

Okay Okay gonna stop all if i may....the idea of having snakes had always been there although true that little facts were researched....when a family member became ill and was going to be submitted to hospital a frantic search went on to find somwone more experianced to take her five snakes...she was mortified to think she would never see them again and when the only result looked at them going into rescue Jason and I offered to take them....we have always been huge pet lovers and responsible....We debate often on want we read as best parctice in keeping them and so joined the forum where as we all know more experianced owners can offer ther advice and tried and tested theories...All our snakes are different and have all different personalities and needs...the question of temp is not the first qustion on the forum that would be considered basic...feel disappointed at a couple of the replys here and the debate thats resulted all round...such a shame on whats otherwise been the best corn fourm Jason and I had come across to date.

Well said babe x

Lets hope its all finished now and we can continue to enjoy such a fantastic forum as you said.
kayjosh Posted - 24/11/2011 : 16:06:48
Jason_app Posted - 24/11/2011 : 15:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gonna answer your question with a question, Why dont you know what it should be?? Providing the correct temps and habitat for any animal should be something you know BEFORE you buy said animal.

the reason i didnt know all this before getting the snakes is because we got them off somebody who was gonna get rid of them if we didnt take them off her asap. So we did. 4 babies and and one 5 year old adult. So we have been thrown in at the deep end so to speak. Correct me if Im wrong but if everyone knew everything about their snakes before they bought them surely there would be be no need for this forum lol. We love our corns and want to provide the best we can for them so criticising my reason for asking is really not helpful. Sorry but being honest. Jase

I didnt criticize you in the slightest, i asked you a question!!
Your reply was pretty much the only scenario i wouldnt have criticized you for.
That said, the basics are something that everyone should know before going out and getting a new animal. Its not like having a cat or a dog, snakes are not something you can just 'work out' as you go along, you get it wrong and you will kill the snake in a very short time.
Temps are the most critical thing when having a setup for a snake, you get that wrong and the snake will die quite quickly.

this forum is here for people to find out bits and pieces that arent easily available, that said, 90% of the questions on here relate to the very basics that should be known BEFORE purchasing the snake.
To be honest with you, not knowing those basic details is irresponsible.

Irrisponsible aye!!!
You say its not like owning a cat or a dog and people should know the basics before they buy a snake. I think that your statement in itself is irrisponsible to assume that a cat or dog or any other pet can be worked out as you go any more then a snake or any other animal for that matter.
The fact is these snakes from where they came could have easily gone to someone who would not care for them correctly or really care how they were looked after.
With that in mind myself and my partner took these snakes in and are willing to learn everything we need to in order to make sure they are looked after well and are happy and healthy.
We think they are awesome and will be loved family pets for years to come.

Who else has an opinion on this?

Jase
Is that really a crime??? i think not.

you missed my point completely. Re read what i said, i said i WOULDNT critisize you on what you did!!!!

Dont bash the keyboard until you read the reply properly.

OK fair enough but your original comment:

quote:Originally posted by mikerichards

This is what started the whole issue, which you will have to admit is because you jumped to conclusions.

There are too many issues caused by people jumping to the wrong conclusion without having all the facts first.

Jase
Sta~ple Posted - 24/11/2011 : 15:36:14
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

So you did no research before you knew what you were letting yourself in for when taking on 5 Snakes?

I did a months research on here and spoke to friends with snakes before i contemplated buying just one snake, let alone takingin 5.

That's great for you, not everyone has that luxury when they get animals kinda dumped on them. I certainly haven't had that luxury many a time for animals, one of them being a lot harder to look after and more demanding to look after than snakes, infact this animal is one of the most demanding buggers animals there is and do not make great pets really at all. Sometimes people just have to take on animals they know nothing about there and then because as hard as it is to believe, it is for the best for that animal as crazy as it may sound as animal charities and other options simply are not the best thing all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Casta

i have 2 hides in my faun but only the warm end get used. otherwise she just hides in the substrate. even some shredded kitchen roll will do the job and saves room.

Not to sound picky or anything but how do you know she doesn't/didn't use the other one?
mikerichards Posted - 24/11/2011 : 15:14:40
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the reason i didnt know all this before getting the snakes is because we got them off somebody who was gonna get rid of them if we didnt take them off her asap. So we did. 4 babies and and one 5 year old adult. So we have been thrown in at the deep end so to speak. Correct me if Im wrong but if everyone knew everything about their snakes before they bought them surely there would be be no need for this forum lol. We love our corns and want to provide the best we can for them so criticising my reason for asking is really not helpful. Sorry but being honest. Jase

That said, the basics are something that everyone should know before going out and getting a new animal. Its not like having a cat or a dog, snakes are not something you can just 'work out' as you go along, you get it wrong and you will kill the snake in a very short time.
Temps are the most critical thing when having a setup for a snake, you get that wrong and the snake will die quite quickly.

this forum is here for people to find out bits and pieces that arent easily available, that said, 90% of the questions on here relate to the very basics that should be known BEFORE purchasing the snake.

Irrisponsible aye!!!
You say its not like owning a cat or a dog and people should know the basics before they buy a snake. I think that your statement in itself is irrisponsible to assume that a cat or dog or any other pet can be worked out as you go any more then a snake or any other animal for that matter.
The fact is these snakes from where they came could have easily gone to someone who would not care for them correctly or really care how they were looked after.
With that in mind myself and my partner took these snakes in and are willing to learn everything we need to in order to make sure they are looked after well and are happy and healthy.

Jase

you missed my point completely. Re read what i said, i said i WOULDNT critisize you on what you did!!!!

Dont bash the keyboard until you read the reply properly.
Jason_app Posted - 24/11/2011 : 14:31:26
quote:

quote:

quote:

Irrisponsible aye!!!

Jase
mikerichards Posted - 24/11/2011 : 14:02:23
quote:

quote:

Jason_app Posted - 24/11/2011 : 13:15:31
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

So you did no research before you knew what you were letting yourself in for when taking on 5 Snakes?

I did a months research on here and spoke to friends with snakes before i contemplated buying just one snake, let alone takingin 5.

We knew people who had snakes so had an idea and common sense helps alot.

We knew about the forum and the snakes came with 3 viv's, 3 heat pads, 3 water bowls, 3 hides, bedding, folliage and food. Plus we had a run down from the person we got them from.
So we had everything set up giving us time to get on the forum and search more details.

Perfectly ok really :-)

Jase
Simmy_82 Posted - 24/11/2011 : 13:01:21

Jason_app Posted - 24/11/2011 : 12:45:49
quote:

Casta Posted - 24/11/2011 : 10:59:51
i have 2 hides in my faun but only the warm end get used. otherwise she just hides in the substrate. even some shredded kitchen roll will do the job and saves room.
mikerichards Posted - 24/11/2011 : 10:28:34
Sta~ple Posted - 23/11/2011 : 14:32:01
You need two ideally, have one fully on the heatmat, premsuing your using a mat, and the other one as far away as possible from the heat mat :P

I know some breeders who keep their adults in RUBs may oly ahve one hide, but the hide tends to be big enough to both function as a hot and cold hide somehow, not sure how that works though. I just find it easier to use 2 small hides.
Jason_app Posted - 23/11/2011 : 14:02:31
So where do people recommend placing the hides? Mine is half on the heat mat and half off. My thinking they have a choice although im not sure if being half on will still heat the whole hide.

My hide is exo-terra and approx 8" long 5" wide.

Jase
Kez Posted - 23/11/2011 : 13:57:25
I have one at each end, but that's for my own peace of mind and so I can keep an eye on it when the weather gets really hot or cold outside
gingerpony Posted - 23/11/2011 : 13:13:59
i have dual-probe thermometers and used to have one probe in either end (and still do with the boas but their cool end temp needs to be higher than corns), now the dual probe therms monitor the warm end in 2 vivs
Sta~ple Posted - 23/11/2011 : 13:11:35
My cold end get to 13c in the winter and get to like 28 in summer, like 21 is ideal but theres not a lot you can do about it sometimes.

I have two to monitor both sids but that's because I have stacks and I like to be nosey and look at how much the heat rises from eah viv, the asnwer is not a lot :p I personally think you only need one theremoter in for the hot end but it's always good to have back up ones at hand, just incase one pops its cloggs.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000