The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Shedding too often?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Midge Posted - 20/11/2011 : 14:03:53
Hey All
How often are corns meant to shed when they are young? Naboo is 3 months old and his eyes and skin have started to go cloudy and so he could be about to have his 5th shed! Is this not too much?
His last shed was about 3 weeks ago and this will be his third shed since we got him in mid September, I think he had 2 before he came to us. He does eat loads and is on fuzzies (last one on Thursday) already so suppose he is just growing but I'm surprised about how often he is shedding. We had to move him up to fuzzies as pinkies weren't leaving a lump and he was still searching for food even after 2. Always strikes every feed so not a case of over feeding.
Is this anything to be worried about?
Cheers
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 20/11/2011 : 23:00:42
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

You cant compare a corn snake and a King Snake, they'd try to swallow a Giraffe if it was dangled in front of them, lol

Mines quite fussy and normally takes him at least half an hour to realise his dinner is in the rub :-/ my obese would try a giraffe though straight away lol.

I fed mind every 6 or 7 days on fuzziesdays is much easier to remember though!
lotabob Posted - 20/11/2011 : 22:43:06
Nah one fuzz a week will be grand at that weight. The poo that happened wont be the Thursday fuzzy though, takes about 7-10 days for them to fully digest and then absorb the nutrients, I look at it as the next one in pushes the previous one out.
Midge Posted - 20/11/2011 : 21:46:08
Thanks for the advice guys. I've given you a bit of miss info though I've gone back to my records and when I weighed him on the 10th he was actually 19g not 11g sorry, memory like a sieve. I've weighed him again today he ate a fuzzy on Thursday and he has done one poo so there will still be some mouse in him and he's 24g.

Now you have the correct info (really sorry) What do you reckon stay on fuzzies and maybe leave it 7 days between feeds. Or knock it back to a couple of pinkies?

lotabob Posted - 20/11/2011 : 21:05:21
You cant compare a corn snake and a King Snake, they'd try to swallow a Giraffe if it was dangled in front of them, lol
Sta~ple Posted - 20/11/2011 : 19:24:38
You can feed corns or most snakes until they pop! My corns would happily try and tackle food that was too large for them, and my king after eating a Jumbo mouse still cruises the viv looking for food straight after and will continue so for days! They grow faster and shed more when they are little, shedding from something like every 2 weeks to a month in the first few months of life in my experience, eating or not! Maybe your not over feeding and he's just a big baby.

I can't tell you what weight mine started feeding fuzzies, I think only you can judge and make the decision since you watch and see your snake eat weather they are too big or not. Weight is kinda irrelevant when little I think as the snake could be long and thin, or be short and fat lol.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 20/11/2011 : 19:16:41
Agree with Rob entirely. Portia is only 10 gms and fuzzies are just way too big.
lotabob Posted - 20/11/2011 : 19:04:36
Spot was 20 grams before he was only just large enough to take a fuzzy. You can't dictate feeding by their habits, they are opportunistic feeders and will always be mooching about that's what they do, if you put food in front of a snake 99.99% of the time it will eat it irrelevant of whether its already full or if the item is too large. By too large I mean too large according to their requirements not too large for them to eat as they can eat quite a bit larger than that guide, we know they are getting food next week, they don't so do what they would do in the wild and stocking up. I would say you are slightly over feeding your snake and it is resulting in accelerated growth. I would either drop back to pinkies to avoid any regurgitation as I would think you're skating a thin line in that respect with such a small snake.

The dodgy shed may be to blame for one of the sheds been early but think feeding may be playing a big part.

The guide to feeding is a prey item 1.5 times the thickness of your snake (at its thickest point) feeding once a week, if the prey is a bit smaller than this guide you can drop the gap but never below once every 5 days.

Thinking back to Spot been 10 grams he was like a shoe lace, not even as thick as my little finger.
Midge Posted - 20/11/2011 : 14:48:28
Before we had him it looks like one of his sheds wasn't full as the very tip of his tail doesn't look right. Apart from that we've had 2 perfect full sheds. He looks fine, always flicking his tongue and is active loves being handled etc. And always strikes for food.

Mick I was feeding him one pinky and then he'd be full and settle to digest, then I moved to 2 because he was still searching and then 2 wouldn't fill him up. He was not relaxing to digest it and just kept looking for food. He is only about 11g but he eats the fuzzies no probs. He has had 2 fuzzies 6 days apart so has not been on them long.

Thanks for the advice
lotabob Posted - 20/11/2011 : 14:21:47
They shed more when they are younger as they are growing so quickly. A bad shed also can bring on an early shed, have you had any bad sheds? Injury can also cause more shedding as the damage is repaired.

If your snake is looking healthy and eating then I wouldn't worry.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 20/11/2011 : 14:20:32
I think you are over feeding, a 12 week old snake on fuzzies seems a bit much. In feeding mode they will always be looking for more as they are opportunistic feeders. I follow Procorns feeding regime, they do not progress to fuzzies until their snakes reach 25 gms, what does yours weigh?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000