The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 dehydration

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul82 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 01:51:29
Whats the best way to rehydrate my adult corn, he got a thing on one eye were it looks like its gone in on its self a bit and was told on fb it was prob dehydration, ive had him in the bath for a bit but still looks the same.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 02/11/2011 : 19:46:00
My snake has a dinty eye sometimes, normally takes a few days before any change.
gingerpony Posted - 02/11/2011 : 13:57:13
the symptoms you described on FB were typical of dehydration, misting, adding a damp hide and moving his bowl to the warm end will all help although the dent in the occular scale itself may takes weeks to come out or will shed out
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/11/2011 : 04:27:01
Can I ask why you think it's dehydrated??

A dimple on the eye is not always signs of dehydration.
Is the skin baggy??
When you gently pinch the skin does it 'tent' and stay tented??
If you could get a pic or 2, that would help to confirm dehydration.

The following can help though.

A 50/50 mix of blue powerade in a rub (or equivalent) for about 15 mins, use the bathing rules for that. (no deeper than the snakes body and at the right temp).
Once done, then put the snake into a fairly damp house overnight (again, a rub with dampened kitchen roll as a base) a single hardy hide can be used if required, along with a small waterbowl.

Provided there is no underlying cause for the dehydration then you should find it's re-hydrated lovely after that.

However, DO NOT do any of the above if the snake has mucusy mouth/injuries or any other potential health problems, and don't do this regularly either as it can cause RI and/or scale rot if done to much.

If in doubt, seek vet help.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000