The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Beasty ID help please.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/07/2011 : 22:42:32
I was about to strip down and clean the viv and happened to spot something moving on a bit of white tissue. Under an eyeglass it looked like a micro-sized ant. It is tiny, approx 0.3 mm long, 6 legged and not the typical shape of a mite or tick.

I put in a white cheese tub as a temporary water dish as this made spotting the invaders easier than with the normal dark coloured resin dish. Within 48 hours there were both egg rafts and nymphs in the dish.

Further bug hunting through the litter chips and I found several chips with 'fuzzballs'. These consist of individual black core with a very fine, fuzzy coating. Whether these are a fungal growth or different type of litter-bug egg cases, I don't know. Closest thing I've seen like it is a spider nest. Think of frog spawn without the jelly.

They seem to be inhabiting the litter only and not causing any distress or irritation to the snake. I have had a good look and have not seen anything untoward on the scales. Nevertheless, they are not welcome and will shortly be evicted.

Any help in identifying these squatters would be appreciated. Pictures attached to give an idea of scale and form. Sorry the 'ant' is not too clear but I was using an improvised macro-adapter on the camera and was difficult to get into focus. Bic pen ball tip gives a relative size of the fuzzballs.

Cheers, Alan.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 29/07/2011 : 22:25:15
I was more concerned about the invaders being parasitic in any way and not really looking for domestic help volunteers.

Had another look at the fuzzballs under a microscope this time and they seem to be some sort of wood fungus with bits of dusty detritus attached to the filaments. They are definitely not any form of egg deposit.

I also had a look at one of the nymphs under the scope as well.... EEEK! I've got aliens in my hoose.

Cheers, Alan.
eeji Posted - 29/07/2011 : 20:12:49
a lot of people use springtails in naturalistic setups to help keep it clean :)
Sta~ple Posted - 29/07/2011 : 17:41:35
There was poop under there :p maybe yours is beastie poop :p
Auld Baldy Posted - 29/07/2011 : 16:43:08
Blech!

I've seen fungus like that before and I put it down to a ripening bit of poop. In this case the Fuzzballs are on individual wood chips. The chips are due to be changed over the weekend and the viv scrubbed down anyway.

The arrangement being so regular convinces me that it could be some sort of beasty deposit, eggs or whatever.

Alan.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/07/2011 : 16:18:57
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

Do they cause any harm?

Nope, they eat wood and plants.

I have had a type of fuzzy ball, this ws huge though and was mould!

When I squished, it turned black Where they in the viv/RUB or in the bag of substrate? If in the bag I would be tempted to throw it out and get a new bag!
Auld Baldy Posted - 29/07/2011 : 16:11:27
Thanks a lot folks, I think we have a winner and Elongate Springtail gets the winning vote. The houseplant compost is the most likely source.

I'll try and take some better photos including the egg rafts for future reference.

Now how about a suggestion for the Fuzzballs?
Answers should be sent directly to me and written on the back of a £10 note. ;0)
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/07/2011 : 16:07:17
Do they cause any harm?
Mort13 Posted - 29/07/2011 : 10:19:04
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

my eyesight is shocking lol but springtail?

oooooooooh heck that reminds me!!

Aaahh,so thats what they look like LOL!!
Sta~ple Posted - 29/07/2011 : 09:45:57
Ssssssspringtails! That is a lovely picture btw! Maybe with your permission people could make "Is it mites" thread so spring tails will no longer be confused of mistaken as mites. I now have to store my substrate in big massive boxes as any slight opeing in the bag and dampness means they breed like crazy in my stuff!
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/07/2011 : 23:49:38
Simmy, I doubt if they are woodworm. The chippings are from a reliable pet shop and they use the same for their own stock. I'm more inclined to the view that they are local invaders, possibly from indoor house plants.

Mamma, try a page refresh and see if that brings up the images.

Cheers, Alan.
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/07/2011 : 23:39:14
Thanks gingerpony. Springtail is a certainly a running contender judging by what I've been able to find for reference on Google. Elongate Springtail is the closest so far. I'll see if I can get a better snapshot and try to match against references.

BTW, you are not the only one with poor eyesight. I can't read a bus destination board but have hawk eyes for little wrigglers, even almost invisible ones. ;)

Cheers, Alan.
Simmy_82 Posted - 28/07/2011 : 23:32:25
Not wood worms are they? Could have got there from your chippings?
Mamma Posted - 28/07/2011 : 23:31:59
i cant see the pics
gingerpony Posted - 28/07/2011 : 22:54:58
my eyesight is shocking lol but springtail?

oooooooooh heck that reminds me!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000