The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Egg bound, or just fat?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seraea Posted - 21/07/2011 : 12:33:30
Hey guys,
So I bought a new snake very recently, and after 2 days, she started laying slugs. It's been 4 days since the last one was laid now, but she has a lump on the end of her tail. Now, since I hadn't had her long, and was trying to give her space to settle, I didn't get a chance to see if the lump was there or not beforehand. I was told by the man in the shop that he thought the snake was male..so it never occurred to me that it might start laying eggs..and I'd have plenty of time to check it over properly after a few days.
Now, since she Has laid, I'm very concerned that there might be an egg stuck, but ofcourse, I don't really know.
I'm particularly concerned because the lump is what I would call, the 'wrong' side of her vent. I don't know if this is common :/
I've got a couple of pics, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've given her a couple of baths to try and help, but apart from keep filling my bath with poo, nothing much has happened.
Thanks!

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fat Paul Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:32:03
Well spotted ... must admit I never looked at the underside photo.

Sta~ple Posted - 21/07/2011 : 18:21:36
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

the anatomy of a snake means it can't really be an egg with it being tail-side of her vent, unless something has gone seriously very horribly wrong!

Opps didn't load the underside first time, *stupid chrome freezing and crashing* only the top which did look exactly like my female laying :P
gingerpony Posted - 21/07/2011 : 17:47:41
the anatomy of a snake means it can't really be an egg with it being tail-side of her vent, unless something has gone seriously very horribly wrong!
Fat Paul Posted - 21/07/2011 : 17:37:05
looks like an egg to me, but its dificult to say when you dont know the snake from before laying.

I had one egg bound this year, she looked a lot like that. I'd get it checked out sooner rather than later if I were you.

Good luck with her.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/07/2011 : 15:35:39
Looks like an egg to me but I say that as I have a girl the same girth as yours and she was laying slugs over a week a few months ago and that's what her body looked like.
Seraea Posted - 21/07/2011 : 13:00:00
Hey Gingerpony thanks for the fast response!
I took the pictures about 15mins before I uploaded them here, so that's how it looks right now.
If I poke and prod her there, she just sits there and lets me do it. I tried massaging a little bit after her bath to try and loosen it up if it was an egg, I think she quite liked it to be honest!
gingerpony Posted - 21/07/2011 : 12:53:07
nice looking miami
and definitely the 'wrong' side!
it could be a fatty area that now looks more prominent now the rest of her body has slimmed down with laying eggs. has it got any bigger since you took the pic? is she uncomfy if you poke or prod the lump?
i'd just monitor it for now, if it increases in size i'd be more concerned about it potentially being an abscess

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000