The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Stubborn bad shed, getting very worried

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
danhalen Posted - 14/07/2011 : 14:39:02
Right, so I've just been on holiday for three weeks. My flatmate has been caring for my little guy while I've been away. He's a veteran corn snake owner and usually absolutely brilliant with Dio, but I've come back to a terrible mess that I can't get sorted and I feel like I'm running out of time. Dio shed while I was away, probably about a week and a half a go, and he hasn't been able to get it all off. He's never had a problem with shedding before now and my flatmate didn't even tell me about it, so I came home thinking everything was fine. Since I arrived home on Tuesday, I've tried more moss in his viv, having him crawl through a wet towel, and two very scary and frustrating baths (he HATED it)...it still won't come off. it's about a 3-4 inch long bit on his tummy which starts about an inch away from his head. It's been so long and nothing has worked, I'm wondering if it's time to take him to the vet or what? If anyone has any other suggestions, they'd be very much appreciated, thanks :(
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danhalen Posted - 15/07/2011 : 04:36:44
Thank you all very much, I feel so much better about his safety now :) @lotabob: the tail and eyes came off perfectly- according to my flatmate, he got the top of his head off with no problem and he kept the rest of the shed, which is all in one perfect piece down the last 18 inches of Dio's body. It was a really great shed, apart from the stubborn part along his belly. He does seem to be pretty lazy, staying in his hide most of the time, like he does in shed mode. He's made me realize how well nature takes care of its critters. Never ceases to amaze me.
lotabob Posted - 14/07/2011 : 23:37:10
Is it just the bit on his belly or is any other bits stuck. Did the tail tip and eye caps come off as they are the important bits any other bits are better to come off but not urgent and if there is any stuck shed it normally pushes the snake straight back into shed mode to get it off.
Crackerly Posted - 14/07/2011 : 22:59:51
I had similar problem. What I done was, while I was handling snake my wife gently held some warm moist cotton wool against snake while he was moving around. We kept this up for about 20 minutes and it did come off in one piece. Now i just give him a damp hide as soon as he goes into the blue faze, touch wood last three sheds have been fine. Please remember I am no expert just this worked for me.
gingerpony Posted - 14/07/2011 : 17:27:20
damp hide for about 3 days, take out his usual hides so he has to use the damp ones
then try the damp towel again

or if it's really an issue then ShedEase or ReptiShed or similar product

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000