The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 fat area

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tordyjo Posted - 11/07/2011 : 21:52:00
Harry will be 1 year next month. He's normally a really good feeder and has been managing 2 fuzzies every 7 days no problems for the last 9 feeds. I tried him 4 weeks ago with a small mouse but he refused so his next feed i went back to fuzzies. I tried him again tonight with a small mouse but again he refused.

Whilst taking him back out his feeding tub i noticed about a third way down his body (roughly where his mice sit after a feed) his body all of a sudden goes out fat - a bit like when he needs to poop but its not far enough down his body for that. I've taken a pic but its not the best although hopefully show's up the area i mean

the arrows should show the area i mean

Anyone any ideas what it might be??
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Emmy1 Posted - 14/07/2011 : 19:02:19
Good news that it's disappearing! They can sure be a worry.
tordyjo Posted - 14/07/2011 : 17:46:55
checked harry tonight and the area seems to have gone, his bottom end definately looks like he's ready to poop, so he must have taken longer to digest his food, just hope he poops in the next day or so
tordyjo Posted - 12/07/2011 : 20:45:51
yep still there, although not as prominant, i'm going to wait a week before i offer another feed, if its still the same in a couple of days i'll ring the vet, i'm very fortunate, my usual vet is also a reptile vet
tordyjo Posted - 12/07/2011 : 19:10:43
i'm going to check him soon and see if its changed, will post later when i've had a look
Emmy1 Posted - 12/07/2011 : 11:12:48
They're pretty hardy animals, therefore they won't show or show very few symptons that they're ill, so this means us loving owners never know when something is off.

As good as the picture is at demonstrating the bump in him, I guess it's anyones guess as to what is wrong. A diagnosis cannot be made over the internet based on just good images I'm afraid. You know your snake and his pattern of behaviour and the way his body looks and feels normally. If it seems to be a concern I'd recommend a trip to the vet or phone consultation with a vet.

You never know, it could just be love handles! :P But of course as it is near his stomach, I think it's worth a check sooner rather than later.
tordyjo Posted - 12/07/2011 : 07:21:06
his last feed was over a week ago and i have cleaned poop out of the viv since then, i've never noticed it before when handling him, he's normally such a calm and relaxed snake. You're right abot it looks like he's just fed, but he hasn't thats the thing, i'm not overly worried yet (although a little concerned) his temps are fine 23 in the cool end usually around 28.5 in the warm end.

He's obviously not happy with the larger prey size although i'm sure he could manage a small mouse no problems, i've offered 3 fuzzies in one feeding session but he's always refused the 3rd, guess he know's how much he needs to survive. Once he's fed he's taken to lying under the heatmat (it does have a stat and a digi thermometer) but the rest of the time stays a lot under the aspen in the cool end, he's in a 2ft viv with lots of fake foliage, fake climbing sticks, a medium hide, one of the cardboard drinks holder things (with the holes made bigger so he can fit).

Just a thought, it couldn't be an undigested mouse?
johno Posted - 12/07/2011 : 00:58:20
lol he said it has missed one feed and no missed a second so thats 2 weeks, the date of the photo is 2day so ge hasnt just eaten :/ sorry i have no idea im just a rookie :( hope you get to the bottom of it and its nothing too serious.
Emmy1 Posted - 11/07/2011 : 23:22:41
If he has just eaten then it's his food sitting there, maybe laying a little awkwardly in his belly. If not, it could be the way he's contracting his muscles? I notice sometimes my girl will tense in certain areas whilst being handled, but you can only see this tension properly if you get a good luck at the underside/ side where the ribs move.
Mort13 Posted - 11/07/2011 : 22:51:04
Was this taken immediately after feeding him as it just looks like a full tummy to me?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000