The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Kinda Worried

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PandorasBox94 Posted - 09/07/2011 : 23:54:52
Kinda Worried. I bought my hatchling corn snake yesterday, im not sure exactly how old it is. The pet shop owner said they were due a feed and told me to feed two pinkies. I put the snake into a seperate feeding tub and it ate both after i cracked them. Is this right to feed the snake two pinkys? I thought only to give it one...

I waited over 24 hours and obviously i was itching to handle the snake. Its still a bit flighty, but it settles down in my hand fine. Much to my suprise the snake excreated stuff from its behind...I guess i got poo'd on. My concern is, did this happen naturally? Or did i stress my snake? Obviously i dont want to stress my snake. Any help info or tips would be greatly appreciated!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PandorasBox94 Posted - 10/07/2011 : 00:50:03
Thank you both :) Ill leave it and let it get settled in. Im watching it now, its very active and is moving around its tank. Very amusing to watch! I was happy with its first feed as it fed the day i brought it home (As it was due a feed) and ive heard that moving the snakes can put them off the meal. Ill have a look at that link :)

Thanks again!
a33272 Posted - 10/07/2011 : 00:24:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

/ninja edit
Sorry a33272, I was typing as you were replying.

lier :P
Kehhlyr Posted - 10/07/2011 : 00:09:53
The excretions from behind was more than likely a defensive musking type thing that a lot of hatchling cornsnakes do while getting settled.
They can eat 2 pinkys fine normally, yes.
However I would highly advise against handling for at least 48 hours after feeding, otherwise you risk a regurge (puking) of the food items.
We also recommend giving at least 7 days as a 'hands off' to let the snake settle into it's new home after you get it.

I would say that you probably did stress your snake unfortunately, but it's not likely you have caused it any harm in doing so.
If you have a looky through our care sheet: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm That should give you a fair few handy hints/tips to get you through as well.
If not, just use the search bar then ask.

And welcome to the forum.

/ninja edit
Sorry a33272, I was typing as you were replying.
a33272 Posted - 10/07/2011 : 00:06:47
hi an welcome i see its ya first post :D

ideally you should of left your hatchie for 7 days without disturbing it for it to settle into its new suroundings an only changed the water, might be an idea to leave it now for a 4-5 days for it to settle in. as for the feeding well that will depend on size of the snake really with snakes you start with 1 then as they grow feed 2 then as they get bigger up the size etcetc so without seeing size of hatchie its hard to say. but again ideally you should leave 48 hrs after feeding before u handle to give them a chance to digest, does sound like u you got poo'd on though :D u got christened really quick hahahaha.

have a look at the sticky thread at the top of each section some really good stuff there that will help you

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000