The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 mites?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
angriesthedgehog Posted - 05/07/2011 : 11:45:30
Alfie has just shed and while cleaning him out I found what I assume are mites on his head and face

He is nearly 3ft long and 2 yrs old I believe

its not nice as they are all around his mouth and eyes (yuk)

what are the best treatments I should use?

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
angriesthedgehog Posted - 12/07/2011 : 00:13:03
still trying with the pics - im rubbish getting it to focus :/
mikerichards Posted - 11/07/2011 : 13:48:14
some decent macro pics of the bugs would help with ID.
Sta~ple Posted - 11/07/2011 : 10:44:49
Were any in the bedding? You'd see them on the top, against the plastic. There are so many types of garden wood eating pests, some white, sandy, red, black, bigger than others, jump ects. The only thing I can think of as crazy as it may sound is that they are bugs that like/need some kind of moisture as there is a lot around the mouth. But I can't think why there would be none in a bowl... if you do see any more, it maybe worth getting a few in like a tick tac box or something and taking to a garden center or mailing to Mike or popping them up on a garden/wildlife or bug forum or something, someone out there has to know what they are.
angriesthedgehog Posted - 10/07/2011 : 11:45:25
Whatever they are - I th treatment does seem to be working - I suppose thats what counts

need to try getting some off him as a sample - to help if others get these things
mikerichards Posted - 09/07/2011 : 22:31:07
Ok, for one, you really really will not get snake mites from leaving the bedding outside, in a shed, or similar, unless you live in africa.
Snake mites are an african parasite, predominantly infesting royal pythons and similar.

What you have is not the snake mite, that i can 100% promise you.

Take it from someone who has been dealing with them for over a year!
angriesthedgehog Posted - 09/07/2011 : 18:40:37
thanks for that :)

well still no sign of any black ones and there doesnt seem to be any in the bowl - I checked the old substrate etc before lobbing it - just seems to be around the poor guy's face

The treatment seems to be working on him tho - there are deffo less and less each time but they are not completely gone

horrible things tho
a33272 Posted - 09/07/2011 : 17:55:33
you cna get mites in a bag of substrate if left in cold damp places, someone else had this happen recently think it was stapey not sure though

this is from another thread of mite, this was a post made by sta~ple (stapey)

If you store your substrate in a garage or in a place that a bit damp it canbe exposed to spring tails. I recently had an outbreak of them and they infested a 20kg bag of aspen I stored in the garage. The garage got a bit damp and then got warm and I never sealed off the bag properly so it became a perfect breading ground for them.

If they are mostly IN (most likely dead and could look like dusty bits of substrate) and around the water bowl and not all over the snake, they are most likely spring tails. However, I have never known spring tails to jump. I only know them as being slow moving and not jumping. I know this may sound like a stupid question but are you sure they are jumping and your not loosing track of them since it is hard to keep a good focus on them since they are so small and can be blown and moved easily. Spring tails are not harmful but it probably means one of the wood items you have is not all that good. If it's a second hand viv stored in a not so great place in the back of a shop it could even be that or even, viv furniture.

Can you see any black ones? If not keep an eye out, and see if any of the current ones are more interested in the viv than the snake. If theres no black and they swam the water bowl it's spring tails, if you get black ones and the current white ones are all over the snake then it's mites. I hope that helps.
angriesthedgehog Posted - 09/07/2011 : 13:01:38
oops sorry for huge delay

I am in Enfield and there are much less on him - I could try to get some if I can

Ill try again at the piccies - having touble trying to manual focus on the dots while holding the snakie in the other hand lol

The only thing I can think is the bedding - I have had it a while but it had been put in the shed by a plonker for a few days - wondering if something crept in :/
a33272 Posted - 08/07/2011 : 12:21:20
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i can assure you that you have nothing to be concerned about!

the fact you said that mike is a concern in itself
Katie.Dublin Posted - 08/07/2011 : 10:35:56
quote:

Hah!
mikerichards Posted - 07/07/2011 : 21:21:25
a33272 Posted - 07/07/2011 : 21:17:48
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

quote:

Alternatively, scrape some off, put in a escape proof tub and post them to me, i will cover postage ovbviously, but i can have a good look under the 'scope.

Mike has apparently run out of things to look at under his new microscope! Lol I joke..

pmsl, darnt imagine what else hes had under it when hes bored at home

best we dont go there!

very concerned if u need a microscope to see it Mike
mikerichards Posted - 07/07/2011 : 20:14:52
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

quote:

Alternatively, scrape some off, put in a escape proof tub and post them to me, i will cover postage ovbviously, but i can have a good look under the 'scope.

Mike has apparently run out of things to look at under his new microscope! Lol I joke..

best we dont go there!
a33272 Posted - 07/07/2011 : 07:40:09
quote:

quote:

Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/07/2011 : 23:44:57
quote:

mikerichards Posted - 06/07/2011 : 21:41:31
not quite, whilst baby mites are indeed much paler, they are also vastly vastly smaller than what you have there, so either they are albino, or they are not snake mites, certainly not the standard african variety!

where are you in the world? i want to see one up close.

Treatment wise, empty the viv, disinfect, and keep bathing the snake.

Normal snake mites also do not congregate around the mouth like that, or the eyes considering there are no others on the body.
having a good look in the mouth would be a good idea also, see if they are IN the mouth also.
I would, at a guess say that they are not feeding on the snake, if they did, they would be red/black, and in that number, they would certainly be feeding.

My guess is they have come in off something recently added, maybe even bedding.
If you can get a really good clear closeup of one of the mites, macro if you can, it might be possible to find out what it is.

I can assure you though, they are not snake mites, i have extensive experience with them.
angriesthedgehog Posted - 06/07/2011 : 18:10:16
I have commenced full mite assault today

but there are deffo much less than yesterday from the fairy bath
lotabob Posted - 06/07/2011 : 11:04:47
Oh thats good, I wasn't sure and thought it best to point it out. Horrid snake mites it is then. I hope you get rid quickly, hit them hard and prolonged, good luck.
angriesthedgehog Posted - 06/07/2011 : 01:02:27
that was a little bit of sand - I remember checking it when I took the pics and taking it off as I had thought it was a little bug :)

I believe I may have an answer - apparently the mites become black as they age so these have just hatched which is why they look pale - so i will treat all my snakes now :)
lotabob Posted - 05/07/2011 : 23:26:30
On the pictures of the tenrec you put on the other section look just in front of its eye, I may be mistaken but it looks awfully like whats on your snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000