The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 First snake, nervous owner!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jess_J Posted - 03/07/2011 : 01:27:49
Ok so I could be completely worrying over nothing but I would rather check. I think some stories on here have got me panicking!

Flint came to us 3 days ago, he is 4 months old. I understand that he will be nervous but as soon as I put him in the faunarium he went into a hide and he hasn't moved out of there since. I can see him and he is still in the same position pretty much, the water hasn't been touched and that is what I am most worried about. Also the fact that he is in the cool end! Temp is 23 cool end and 28 hot end, is that ok?

He is in my room as he can not go anywhere else and I am worried that the noise is scaring him to not come out and explore?

Or am I worried over nothing? Like I say, he is my first snake.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marlin Posted - 21/07/2011 : 19:09:21
Our little un is fairly active in the evenings and even if we don't see him we have evidence of his 'redecorating' the substrate and rearranging the 'furniture'. Even so I have only seen him drink once in nearly 2 months and I've never noticed a significant drop in the water level. Just remember they are only small and only need a little water so unless you never topped it up you probably wouldn't ever notice.
Ashma Posted - 21/07/2011 : 12:40:04
I wouldn't worry at all. We've had our snow for over and year and we see her on average about once every two weeks. She sleeps inside her skull and only comes out when no one is around. All snakes are different, some are bold some are shy and some like to sleep on top of cacti!
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 21/07/2011 : 12:24:05
i have a fake cactus in my corns viv and he loves to sleep on top of it ( strange boy) and your corn snouns completly normal i wasl iek that when i just got monty at the reptile shop
jonnyc1988 Posted - 05/07/2011 : 16:44:18
I never saw my corn at all for the first week, its best to just let them settle in. a year on and he prefers to sleep on top of his cave rather than in it.
Jess_J Posted - 04/07/2011 : 21:28:50
I'm calmer now, he seems to be having a bit of a mad explore at the moment!
Newbie Posted - 03/07/2011 : 16:14:22
My corns been with me for nearly 7 months and I hardly ever see him!
Jess_J Posted - 03/07/2011 : 13:50:40
Ok thank you! This has settled my mind a lot. I actually saw him pop his head out for a little bit last night too, so all is well :)
Vixyg Posted - 03/07/2011 : 09:26:32
I still very rarely see more of my corn than her nose. they arent the most exciting pets to have in relation to watching regualr activity and stuff but watching them feed and if your lucky enough to catch a shed in progress makes up for it, its truely fascinating! but yes like lotabob whenever im doing the hoovering or something around the viv or even just put my keys on the table next to it she always pops her head out and glares at me and will then sometimes move to a different hide but very rarely, she has her favorite and its the one thats the hardest to get to her in when i want her to come out for a cuddle!
gingerpony Posted - 03/07/2011 : 08:45:21
your temps are fine and your new arrival's behaviour is normal
lotabob Posted - 03/07/2011 : 02:54:50
Your worrying just as most new snake owners worry but I can assure you its all fine. Your temperatures sound spot on, and many snakes only use the hot end when they are digesting a meal but the cold end isn't actually cold, its really just a cooler end within their preferable heat range. Most snakes will hide most of the time, they are thinking as a wild snake would and in the wild they are on the lunch menu so have to stay hidden to stay alive.

Noise is a tricky one, firstly they have no ears so they dont hear sound as such, they do pick up on vibrations though and will soon get used to the different vibrations in their surroundings, its one of the reasons its recommended to give them a week to settle in for just this reason as well as the different smells. I notice that if I put the stereo on or hoover my snakes pop their heads out of their hides to investigate the vibrations and all my lot are perfectly healthy so provided its not long term disturbances it isn't stressful for them.

Your snake is most likely out and exploring every time it falls quiet, they favour dawn and dusk but I've seen them out at any time they want. I have a Royal Python that never comes out when I'm around but I know he does come out as he is a big beast and leaves tell tale signs he's been about, he trashes his vivarium, the big clumsy oaf so keep an eye out for things that have moved even a tiny corn will move substrate about, drag over foliage etc.

Worrying only shows you care, you'll soon get to know your snakes habits and then you can relax until they do something new then you panic again, its the way of the snake lol.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000