The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Help - Marmalde has just eaten..........

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
StephenParker846 Posted - 19/06/2011 : 00:00:39
Help - Marmalade has just eaten a small piece of pine chipping.

I have just fed Marmalade, my 3 year old cornsnake, in his tank his usual mouse. The mouse's guts were hanging out this time. A piece of of bark chipping got stuck to the guts and Marmalade swallowed it, along with the mouse.

What should I do, apart from panick (which I am doing at the moment)

Thanks

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LynneM_212 Posted - 28/06/2011 : 15:22:33
I dont think it is a must to take your snake out and feed seperately..

I dont have a choice with one of mine i have to feed her in her viv..

What i do i lay down kitchen roll over the most part of the viv and then feed on top of that...

After shes eaten she snaps at every little movement even with the BIGGEST lump in her belly lol!!!

I struggled getting the kitchen roll out yesterday and putting one of her hides back in as she gets really really nippy !! greedy guts!!

But glad your snakes ok... every one makes little mistakes :)
Mort13 Posted - 27/06/2011 : 22:18:28
Glad to hear he's doing well.
StephenParker846 Posted - 27/06/2011 : 22:03:38
Thank You for all the help and advice.
I must stand corrected, it wasn`t pine chipping. It was chipping purchased from my local pet shop which I now beleive to be beech.
The good news is that Marmalade apperas to be OK. He is moving fine, no lumps or anything and I fed him a mouse last night which he took OK.
And Yes I have learned my lesson and I took Marmalde out of his viv to feed him so that there was no chance of a chipping sticking to the mouse.
Once again thanks for all the help and advice.
Mort13 Posted - 25/06/2011 : 10:36:20
If it is pine bedding you have him on you need to change it to something like aspen,beech chips etc. Pine really isn't good for snakes.
Diesel1994 Posted - 25/06/2011 : 00:02:40
look, if it is pine chippings, leave the snake for a few weeks, the acid in their stomachs is so strong it can digest virtually anything, for an animal that in the wild, cant pick its food up or clean it, it just drags it from the floor into its mouth, it has to be able to digest parts of the floor, orelse the wild snake population would not be as high as it is now, so just leave him and in a few weeks the chipping will have turned into a mush
Spreebok Posted - 20/06/2011 : 00:05:16
You sure you don't mean Beech Chippings OP?
lotabob Posted - 19/06/2011 : 12:23:46
PINE?

Pine is toxic to snakes, if its reptile substrate bought from a shop it won't be pine. If its saw dust like the stuff you use for rabbits and hamsters etc then you really need to change it right away.
Sta~ple Posted - 19/06/2011 : 10:38:19
I don't wnat to sound werid/funny/rude but are you really using pine bedding or is it aspen or something?
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/06/2011 : 03:39:09
It wasn't meant to be a told you so, believe me if it was then I would've put it like that.
I'm not one to mince my words.

You are doing things that you thought were right, and to be honest you are.
There is no real right or wrong way to feed your snake, if they get fed and eat then all is good. It's simply just something that someone like me does differently is all and others as well.
There are many people that do feed in the vivs without issues as you have always done, and there are people that don't.
I always run the rule that you should never say never. Having issues with feeding in a different tub with nothing but the snake and the prey item as well is not unheard of either. Feeding captive reptiles can always be a risk one way or another.
StephenParker846 Posted - 19/06/2011 : 00:55:28
I take your point. This is the first time it has happened so I thought that i was doing everything right. i have always fed Marmalade in his tank and this is the first time that anything like this happened.

I feel bad enough has it is so please don't put anymore posts along the the lines of "I told you so"
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/06/2011 : 00:32:43
There's not a great deal you can do at the moment, all you can do is wait.
Depending on how big the lump of substrate was and depending on how healthy the snake is he may well pass it out the other end.
Just keep an eye on him over the next couple days and wait I'm afraid.

Unfortunately it's things like this is why we recommend putting something down in the viv to feed on or having a seperate feeding tub.
connorg96 Posted - 19/06/2011 : 00:22:59
im no expert but i got told that in the wild they accidently ingest other things apart from mice and there are no complications so i think that he should be fine

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000