The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Angry Cornsnake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smudge_don Posted - 17/06/2011 : 11:22:32
Hey guys

New to the forum as i was just given a cornsnake by my cousin who is moving out of the country

He was always very happy at my cousins and you could take him out and handle him no problem

I have him in a temporary tank at the moment as i'm getting a full setup at the weekend. He has a bit of tree to climb, a water bowl, shredded newspaper and is currently in the bathroom as it's very warm and humid in there.

The 1st night i had him he was fine, handled him for about 10mins and he was very happy exploring his new owner, flicking his tongue, very bright eyed.

However, last night and today he is very hostile, rattling his tale whenever i get near and he even pounced at me last night but hit the inside of the tank...

Is he most likely to settle down once i get a proper setup for him?

Any advice would be great
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/12/2011 : 20:42:52
I really hope that is where he is being fed, not kept, if for feeding, best to remove the aspen, can get eaten along with mouse. maybe the vibration of the washing machine is making him mad. But you have one angry corn! could we gat a pic of his viv? how often do you handle him?
Emmy1 Posted - 16/12/2011 : 20:40:56
Your snake may just be protective of his home. Be confident, go straight in and pick him up. You may find that once away from his home, he'll settle and be managable.
smudge_don Posted - 16/12/2011 : 20:24:11
A video of what he's been like recently. I was told to get him a separate tank for feeding so that he gets used to being taken out and handled, but it wasn't a good end result

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/smudge_don/?action=view¤t=video-2011-10-23-18-45-03.mp4

Ignore the noise, it's mypoopwashing machine lol

Any suggestions guys? I've been bitten more times then i can count. He feeds fine and has shed twice in about 5months since i've had him no problems
marlin Posted - 01/08/2011 : 16:53:29
You say he has a large hide... They do like be be snuggled up secure in a small place. Maybe he needs something smaller to feel more secure? And possibly some leaves to create more places for hiding away. (Plastic ones suitable for use in a vivarium and easy to clean!)
garrie Posted - 27/07/2011 : 10:30:51
Make sure that when you do handle him, it always ends on a good note - i.e. if he pounces, make sure he settles before going back in (they can learn from that sort of thing). Also, remember - a cat can do more damage than a corn can; try to be confident and steady when going to pick him up, he will be more nervous if you hesitate. Hope this helps, though it sounds like it may have been due to "that (shedding) time of the month".
Good luck :-)
scottishbluebird Posted - 26/07/2011 : 22:47:38
There should be 2 hides one hot and cold end, a cereal box or icecream tub would do fine.
Good he has shed, check the shed to make sure tail tip and eye caps are there, i think you should try in a few days, even if he is out for just a few min.
Good Luck!!
smudge_don Posted - 26/07/2011 : 22:22:49
Viv setup is pretty basic, large water bowl, heat mat in the corner with newspaper shredding on top, aspen (or whatever the soft woodchip-like stuff is called) on the floor and a large hide for him

I've just noticed that he's actually shed his 1st skin! I noticed that he was hiding a lot recently and now i've seen this he's out and looking very happy, so i'll give him a couple of days and then maybe try handling him again?
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 21/07/2011 : 12:11:28
oh bad luck maybe he is just a little bitty stressed on moving to onother house to a temporary viv then a proper one ( wouldnt you be?) just give him time in my viv i have a proper hide on the hot side a toilet tibe on the cool side and some leaves there too

good luck with your snakie!!
lotabob Posted - 18/07/2011 : 21:28:06
When they say give it time your looking at maybe 6 months + to get a really scared snake to realise its not in danger when you are about.

Also what is the setup you have, if you can give details about any lights, hides, heat sources, location etc, it sounds like a scared snake so you may need to put some wsork into making it feel more secure.
smudge_don Posted - 18/07/2011 : 18:48:09
Still doesn't like me! Cleaned out the viv the other day but left some of the original bedding in there and he went for me 3 times, catching me twice :(
Celisuis Posted - 06/07/2011 : 00:19:29
Give it a few more days.

When I got one of mine, she was always Pouncing for me.

I found, I put a sock in the Vivarium that had my scent on. A few days after that and she was placid, she wouldn't pounce or anything. She lets me pick her up fine now.

It takes time for them to settle and to get your scent.
smudge_don Posted - 06/07/2011 : 00:12:49
Right guys

He's had a proper setup for over a week now, which is kept in the lounge out of direct sunlight but is nice and warm with plenty of circulating air. left him to settle in for about 5 days and then fed him and he had no problems with that. That was about 4 days ago and he still won't let me go near him, always curled up ready to pounce if i try and handle him and his tail starts going as soon as i get near him...

Any ideas?
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 08:19:47
totally missed the bathroom bit in the OP! lol
definitely not a place for a viv however i do keep our feeder/breeder mice in our bathroom as it's the only room i can shut the cats out of without them tearing up the carpet! have to keep the window open for them to get plenty of fresh air though
lotabob Posted - 17/06/2011 : 21:36:03
I wouldn't keep any animal in the bathroom, all the different pongs, bleach, ammonia fumes, deodorant, steamy showers, not a environment anything should.
ptmbradley Posted - 17/06/2011 : 15:10:02
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Corn snakes dont need humidity. Bathrooms get really steamy when the shower is on and it could cause issues. Congrats on your new pet though

Yeah, you don't want him picking up an RI due to too much humidity. Normal air conditions is enough for a corn. When they are in shed you can if you want increase humidity a little to help the process, by placing a damp hide or spraying occasionally, but other than that they don't need it.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 17/06/2011 : 15:02:59
Corn snakes dont need humidity. Bathrooms get really steamy when the shower is on and it could cause issues. Congrats on your new pet though
HannahB Posted - 17/06/2011 : 13:41:15
might be as well that the bathroom is too warm for him - if the whole set up is warm then he has no where to cool down in and therefore cant thermoregulate,
that or someone made a nasty smell in the bathroom!
Spindle Posted - 17/06/2011 : 12:33:26
You can use anything from toilet rolls to store bought ones. I bought my snake a nice new hide for mine but she still prefers the kitchen roll tube.
gingerpony Posted - 17/06/2011 : 12:31:53
he needs time to settle in and his set up to be correct, though he might also be in blue (due to shed)
smudge_don Posted - 17/06/2011 : 11:33:52
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

ideally you should leave him for 5-7 days to settle into his new surroundings and get used to the smells etc around him, withought disturbing him to handle or feed.

What is gonna be in your new set up? How will you heat him? Will you have a thermostat digi thermometer? You will need to make sure he has at least 2 hides too.. one at the hot and and one at the cold end xx

So he needs quite a bit of time to settle down then. That makes me feel a bit better :)

Going to have a heat mat with a digital stat so i can keep an eye on things. And i didn't realise he'd need 2 hides, what would you recommend?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000