The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 mites?????????????

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
meggi Posted - 13/06/2011 : 20:55:52
Hello guys, Im a bit worried.

This week his been in his cold cave all the time (well from what ive seen). I got him out today and i think he has a few more black dots on the upper pat of his body. He can still turn over when i put him on his back. About a month ago i took him outside, but i gave him a quick after and wouldn`t he have had signs by now if he did have mites.

Sorry its a bit log winded.
Please help xx thank you.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meggi Posted - 21/06/2011 : 19:29:36
Hi everyone,

when i got tobby out Saturday i ran him through some whiite kitchen towel and i watched the black spots to see if they moved.

Of course he didnt have mites! thankyou all very much for ur help x
tarotpodge Posted - 17/06/2011 : 13:07:22
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

mites are easy to identify. They're alive, and if you squish one between your fingers it'll pop.

That sounds fun(not for the snake obviously). Like squishing bubble wrap...
gingerpony Posted - 17/06/2011 : 06:32:08
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Oh yeah remove them first, my dog is a tick magnet (even with frontline) so i'm well practised at removing ticks now.

you need Frontline Combo and to apply it more frequently - every 4 weeks - for it to be most effective against ticks, though there is a new product which is a chewable tablet called Comfortis that gets rid of fleas and is apparently good against ticks too
meggi Posted - 16/06/2011 : 22:17:40
Aaaawwww poor mites ;)
lotabob Posted - 16/06/2011 : 12:27:51
Oh yeah remove them first, my dog is a tick magnet (even with frontline) so i'm well practised at removing ticks now.
gingerpony Posted - 16/06/2011 : 10:39:13
hopefully after that's after you've properly, completely removed it, including removing its head and proboscis!!
lotabob Posted - 15/06/2011 : 23:50:35
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

quote:

They're alive, and if you squish one between your fingers it'll pop.

ewwwwwwwwwww

It's true! And they do be full of your snakies blooood!

You should try a tick, they explode like giant bubblewrap.
lotabob Posted - 15/06/2011 : 23:49:48
I personally wouldn't bath him until you know mites are present, they'd be in the bowl and running a muck on the snake but bathing can be quite stressful and if you get the water temperature wrong you could potentially send him into shock. Get a warm moist piece of kitchen roll and just wipe him down, any mites not under scales should come away onto the kitchen roll. Check around the eyes, they seem to congregate there,

Its more than likely just markings though, Corns do have black dotty markings (I have an Anery, he certainly does lol) and its probably nothing at all to worry about.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 15/06/2011 : 23:40:36
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

quote:

ewwwwwwwwwww

It's true! And they do be full of your snakies blooood!
meggi Posted - 15/06/2011 : 22:31:36
Thanku all ever so much xx he ate today but on sat I'll give him a bath and I'll let him have some fun on some kitchen roll. I'll keep u posted. Thanks meg! X
Mamma Posted - 15/06/2011 : 14:42:14
quote:

ewwwwwwwwwww
Katie.Dublin Posted - 15/06/2011 : 14:38:34
mites are easy to identify. They're alive, and if you squish one between your fingers it'll pop.
stuart619 Posted - 15/06/2011 : 13:18:42
Another way to see if there is a mite problem would be to replace the substrate with kitchen towel they will stand out on the white and you can idenify a problem easier. Keep us posted though
herriotfan Posted - 15/06/2011 : 12:52:32
Have you tried giving him a bath and looking for black specks left in the water....normally a good indicator of mites.
gingerpony Posted - 15/06/2011 : 12:52:25
if a snake can't right itself when you place it on its back it's a sign of a possible neurological problem
Mamma Posted - 15/06/2011 : 11:56:16
quote:
Originally posted by meggi

WOW i sound stupid x thank you

You dont sound stupid. Thats the point of this forum, to talk to other snake keepers about advice if you have any questions or worries its best to ask
meggi Posted - 15/06/2011 : 11:18:19
hello, i thought i`d read somewhere that it you flip them on their back and they cant get back up it a sign of mites,,, oops! Their ust like black dots. I read the mite thing now, thanks.

WOW i sound stupid x thank you
lotabob Posted - 13/06/2011 : 21:53:19
Been in the cold hide isn't a sign of anything, and black dots??? DO you mean little spiderlike creatures crawling on him or tiny black bits pressed under the scales and around the eyes? Its unlikely (but not impossible) that taking it outside would lead to a mite infestation, mites hang around snakes so unless you have a infested grass snake or adder in your garden its not the likely source.

Why the flipping it on its back, unless a snake is very ill it will always twist itself right way up. Have you had a read of the mites stickie?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000